Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where to Find Reversed Wheel, Baby Moon Combo

Find the old REVELL 55'56'57 Chevy kits, the ones with the opening doors, hood, an trunk. THOSE kits have a reversed wheel combo. You can run it stock depth, or reverse it to get a deeper look. These are one of the FEW kits that provide these wheels. Check out Revell's EARLY 56 Ford Pick up kit. That kit MAY have these two peice wheels as well. Hope this helps.;):);)

Lots of 80's style updates to AMT kits come with chrome reversed rim steelies with molded-in-place baby moons, including the '29 Ford Roadster and the Fleetline already mentioned. Also the AMT '49 Merc Club Coupe in its 80's version has them. The problem is that they're very deep, even in the front, and designed for wide tires. That's fine for the rear wheels but aren't suited for narrower width front tires. The AMT '40 Ford Sedan Delivery comes with baby moons and wheels designed to take them (they're different than the wheels that come with the coupe and tudor sedan). You could use those for the fronts but they aren't chromed wheels and the baby moons aren't as shallow as those on the molded-in-place chrome deep dish wheels. The AMT '49 Ford comes with very nice deep dish steelies, but they aren't chromed and there are no baby moons.

If Tom Kren reads this maybe he could tell us more about which wheels he used, especially at the front.

• 3 months later...

I just got a nice set in a trade on another forum. They're from the Revell/Monogram pro modeler '59 Corvette. The baby moon caps are seperate. The old AMT '56 Victoria also has chrome reverse wheels with seperate baby moon caps.

ahhh... my second favorite ...no, third.... anyway. one of my favorite wheel types. the AMT '49 Merc has deep reversed chrome wheels with baby moons, but they often have deep sink marks in the center of the cap. the current issues of the AMT '56 Victoria do NOT have a SET of chrome steel wheels, just two rears. the fronts are simulated hallcrafts. the only Revell tri-five Chevy that had moon caps was the '56, i believe, and those were designed for Revell's narrow rubber tires. the '57 had optional reversed rims but no moon caps. they were designed for wider plastic two-piece tires. the AMT '29 Ford has a decent set if none of them have sink marks. the AMT '51 fleetline had nicely done but lamentedly very deep ones. trying VERY hard to remember any other kits that might be extant today.....

Revell's Beatnik Bandit? i can't picture the cap in my mind, but aren't the wheels chrome reverse?

AH. i have TWO sets of them that i definitely remember the source of: the AMT Ghostbuster Ambulance. can't say for certain that they're reversed, but they have nicely molded moon caps. i didn't build either one as a GB car, so the wheels were out of place.