Model Cars Magazine Forum

Here's a question that I had pop into my mind while watching Duel earlier tonight.

I've seen a lot of pictures and movies from earlier times where heavy trucks had several license plates from several states at a time on their front bumper. I also remember seeing some older truck models that had decal sheets that would replicate this practice.

Was this done for some ICC or state road-tax purpose? I've always wondered about this, and was hoping someone might have some answers.

Charlie Larkin

Here's a question that I had pop into my mind while watching Duel earlier tonight.

I've seen a lot of pictures and movies from earlier times where heavy trucks had several license plates from several states at a time on their front bumper. I also remember seeing some older truck models that had decal sheets that would replicate this practice.

Was this done for some ICC or state road-tax purpose? I've always wondered about this, and was hoping someone might have some answers.

Charlie Larkin

Time was when the various states required a commercial vehicle to be licensed in whatever states they operated in. However, with the advent of USDOT, that went away.

Art

Art is right, but there is one other thing, regarding the movie Duel in particular- Steven Speilberg wanted to suggest that the driver of the truck had killed other motorists during his travels, and the plates on the front of the truck implied his other victims.

Yep, it was all about authority to operate. Some states had deals with eachother so one plate could operate in 3 or so states. But if a west coast truck wanted to operate in eastern states, they had to have the appropriate plates to do so. That all went away in the late 70s I think, then the truck got one apportioned plate and a card that said what authority they had. The more states on the card, the more money you had to pay!