Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960's Cummins Diesel?

Guest Johnny

A guy in southern Il had three that were garbage trucks. All three had the Cummins Diesel engine. Long framed with drive and tag axle.

• 2 weeks later...

a cummins 903 is an offshoot of the old 555. I cant tell you about physical size or any similarity's other then they kind of look the same.There are aftermarket 903 around

the 555 & 903 share the same platform, and i think (not certain) that the block is the same. I will look in my files & post what i find.

Ap40

The 555 and 903 share nothing more than both being v8s. The numbers are there displacements The 555 is a medium duty engine and the 903 a heavy duty engine I doubt a 903 would physically fit in a L700 besides not having a large enough radiator They do look similar both being Cummins engines but the 903 is much larger

OK, i looked in my Cummins files, the 555 which shares the same block as the 502 is 26 5/16" long, whereas the 903 block is 29 21/32" long. But just about every other overall dimension is with in fractions of an inch of being the same. This comparison is for both engines being non-turbo versions. Both are 90 degree wedge design, and the only other major difference is the deck height which is approx 1" taller on the 903. This corrisponds with the the 1" difference in stroke.

So if you were to take a 903 from the ERTL 4200 or a resin version, to convert it to a reasonable 555, you will need to remove 3 scale inches (3.0mm in 1/25) from the length of the block, heads & rocker covers, then shave 1.0 mm from the deck (top of block where head mounts on each side) to lower the heads. Also noted that the oil pan on the 903 is a deep to the rear of block type where the most commonly used on the 502 & 555 were deep from 1/3 to the rear of block.

The 502 & 555 were very popular in construction equipment and were a favorite in the smaller Hough, Clark, Michigan front end loaders.

hope this helps

Ap40

Actually the correct dimesions for the 555 48" long 35" wide and 33" tall the 903 is 60" long 38" wide and 35" tall The 555 is a larger version of the 504 not 502 As I pointed out the 903 is a much larger engine than the 555 The vast majority of L series Dodges were gas powered 361 and 413 as mid range diesels weren't common yet in the 60s Gas was also much cheaper then as well

Actually the correct dimesions for the 555 48" long 35" wide and 33" tall the 903 is 60" long 38" wide and 35" tall The 555 is a larger version of the 504 not 502 As I pointed out the 903 is a much larger engine than the 555 The vast majority of L series Dodges were gas powered 361 and 413 as mid range diesels weren't common yet in the 60s Gas was also much cheaper then as well

Well stated & correct, I was referring to the BLOCK dimensions, as overall dimensions are greatly effected by accessories, manifolds etc..