Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question for you big rig builders

There are different types of sliding fifth wheels. The type you are describing has become more popular in recent years. Most model kits come with a different style that was common through the 70's, 80's, and 90's. For the most part, the fifth wheels that come with the kits aren't too bad, just have to add a few details.

There are different types of sliding fifth wheels. The type you are describing has become more popular in recent years. Most model kits come with a different style that was common through the 70's, 80's, and 90's. For the most part, the fifth wheels that come with the kits aren't too bad, just have to add a few details.

Actually KJ, those style of fifth wheels are still used today, and Richard, the style of fifth wheel plates in most of the kits are a Holland fifth wheel, as seen in this pic I found on the web.

A9071_zpsda33f499.jpg

The other big maker of fifth wheels are Jost, and I believe that may be what is on my rig, and it has the slider rails like you described with the rail and pin setup. If you look carefully at the fifth wheels in the older AMT kits, you will also notice a bump at the top, which is to replicate Holland's adjustment bolt.

Also, just from personal experience, I prefer the Holland fifth wheel. They seem to hold the kingpin tighter than other brands.

Actually KJ, those style of fifth wheels are still used today, and Richard, the style of fifth wheel plates in most of the kits are a Holland fifth wheel, as seen in this pic I found on the web.

A9071_zpsda33f499.jpg

The other big maker of fifth wheels are Jost, and I believe that may be what is on my rig, and it has the slider rails like you described with the rail and pin setup. If you look carefully at the fifth wheels in the older AMT kits, you will also notice a bump at the top, which is to replicate Holland's adjustment bolt.

Also, just from personal experience, I prefer the Holland fifth wheel. They seem to hold the kingpin tighter than other brands.

Exactly. I realize that Hollands are still used today, but the Jost fifth wheels have become pretty common as well in the last 15 years or so. I agree that the Holland style fifth wheel holds tighter than the Jost. I've found that it is easier to make sure a Holland is locked after hooking up when you shine a light up the back of it than a Jost.

• 4 weeks later...

You guys forgot a couple,there was Simplex,was cast and manufactured in central Illinois they are now owed by Holland Hitch Corparation. And the there was Fontane fith wheel corp,which is now the controling company for Jost. And all offer both slider and solid mount wheels. Fontane was also part of a company called Marmon Highway Technologies. Not sure who owns it now after Marmon folded.....But they do advertise themselves and the worlds largets fifth wheel company,not sure if that is true or not.

Edited by dad vader