Model Cars Magazine Forum

Windshield & Wipers

Scale-Master

Scratchbuilt from mostly brass and some aluminum. The main frame and wipers are brass, soldered together. The upright stays are aluminum as well as the machined hardware. (Even has a washer system.) The C/F is Scale Motorsport Hi-Def. About 40 parts in this assembly.

While it may resemble the standard configuration of a Super Seven windshield, it is very different, especially when you consider the kit I started with uses a little frameless deflector type...

DSC09474.jpg

DSC09477.jpg

DSC09481.jpg

DSC09482.jpg

Mark, something about this frame looks slightly different than a previous one you posted earlier on another board. Did you decide to rebuild it?

Yeah, after a month of work, and when I thought it was finished, I didn't like the way it looked on the mocked up chassis/body. Nothing really noticeable to probably anyone but me. I knew it would haunt me if I didn't re-do it. Still have the "old" one, just not right for this project. I was able to reuse the uprights and the wiper assemblies, but I had to refinish the uprights. Negligible difference, but worth the effort to me...

Yeah, after a month of work, and when I thought it was finished, I didn't like the way it looked on the mocked up chassis/body. Nothing really noticeable to probably anyone but me. I knew it would haunt me if I didn't re-do it. Still have the "old" one, just not right for this project. I was able to reuse the uprights and the wiper assemblies, but I had to refinish the uprights. Negligible difference, but worth the effort to me...

I hear you loud and clear.

mark ive seen your caterhams at NNL west a few times and i am always in total awe of them!

i have a 58 lotus seven in real life and i have to say your cats look more realistic than my 1:1 example!

just wanted to get a word in on how fantastic these things look in real life...like you want to shrink down to 1:12 and drive it away!