Model Cars Magazine Forum

how to debond glued parts with ease ?

I have heard that placing a model or parts one wishes to "de bond" is to place the item in a zip lock bag & place it the deep freezer. Sadly enough I have tried this with no success. Is there any other methods of debonding cemented styrene parts?

The reasoning why, I have been given three large boxes of glue bombs & wish to salvage as many spare parts as possible for my & anyone Else's benefit should the need arise.

Whom ever glued these kits together swamped the kit's in cement. Some not worth the time others yes.

It would be a shame to place the entire collection under file 13.

Any idea's & discussion is very welcome.

Edited by Gramps2u

Sometimes a quick "strike" with a small hammer against a small sharp wood chisel will crack the joint apart. A chisel pointed Xacto blade may help. Be careful.

Part(s) being struck will need to be firmly held (fixed) in place. Vice works well

Edited by JunkPile

I have heard that placing a model or parts one wishes to "de bond" is to place the item in a zip lock bag & place it the deep freezer. Sadly enough I have tried this with no success. Is there any other methods of debonding cemented styrene parts?

The reasoning why, I have been given three large boxes of glue bombs & wish to salvage as many spare parts as possible for my & anyone Else's benefit should the need arise.

Whom ever glued these kits together swamped the kit's in cement. Some not worth the time others yes.

It would be a shame to place the entire collection under file 13.

Any idea's & discussion is very welcome.

Try getting some water into the joint (like if it's an engine, get it into the drive shaft "hole" or in through the water pump/fan belt mounts) and then re-freeze them, water being one of the few liquids that actually expands when it freezes it might get the joint loosened up a bit perhaps to the point of completely separating it.