Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tri Axle Gravel Trailer

Did a buy it now on ebay for $25 and just came in today. Everything is still sealed up in the stock packaging except the box itself. I feel I got a pretty good deal considering the prices these things seem to go for. I'm going to start on it tomorrow night while I am at work as long as it is not busy. i plan to shorten the bed a couple scale feet and use only two of the axles to simulate the typical Florida rock bucket.

This is what I'll be using to build it

DSC09312.jpg

I took this shot of a Fruehauf dump in Florida a couple years back. I intend for this one to come out the same with the exception of a black frame and no roll tarp.

I'll post pics as I progress.

Ron

Well, I'm about 2.5 hours into my build and she's coming along really nicely. I'm pretty proud so far.

Here's a crappy cell phone pic

I got the bed cut down so it fits nicely on the frame. I still need to cut up the bed liner, should have that done in the next hour or so. Then I'll pretty much be ready for paint. That won't come until tomorrow maybe.

graveltrailer1.jpg

Ron

Looking good! I made mine 2 axle too! Not many 3 axle dumps in the area here.

What you doing with the left over wheels and axle??? :)

Edited by Johnny

Have you glued the wheels to the axles yet? Those old MPC kits had axles that were too wide. It really makes a difference if you shorten the axles to narrow the track width. Otherwise the tires stick out a bit too much.

Have you glued the wheels to the axles yet? Those old MPC kits had axles that were too wide. It really makes a difference if you shorten the axles to narrow the track width. Otherwise the tires stick out a bit too much.

Don't know yet, I can send them to you if you need them for something. I was just going to throw them in the parts box.

Ron

Did a buy it now on ebay for $25 and just came in today. Everything is still sealed up in the stock packaging except the box itself. I feel I got a pretty good deal considering the prices these things seem to go for. I'm going to start on it tomorrow night while I am at work as long as it is not busy. i plan to shorten the bed a couple scale feet and use only two of the axles to simulate the typical Florida rock bucket.

This is what I'll be using to build it

DSC09312.jpg

I took this shot of a Fruehauf dump in Florida a couple years back. I intend for this one to come out the same with the exception of a black frame and no roll tarp.

I'll post pics as I progress.

Ron

There's a company here in NC that has trailers like that. Whats the long frame for,

weight distribution?

Don't know yet, I can send them to you if you need them for something. I was just going to throw them in the parts box.

Ron

I could use them. trying to scratch together parts to build an older style van trailer. Let me know what you might need for them.

yea i want to get one of these kits. We have a dump trailer at our scrap yard that is a 32 foot box on a 36 foot frame.. its a triaxle trailer with one of them being a lift axle. it would be a neat build ive always thought. this one is interesting too.. ill be keepin my eyes on it bud looking good so far.