Model Cars Magazine Forum

Playing with bricks - input?

Gluhead

I've had a "dream shop" build sloshing around my noggin for at least 15 years now. A few minor revelations have come about lately that are really bringing me to a point where I can finally start putting the ideas into form.

I'll be doing a brick building, so I've been looking into how some of you guys are doing bricks. Philbass has a couple threads here with some outstanding work, so I'm borrowing some of his strategy.

This is about the 3rd test piece. The bricks are still too large, but I think I got the process sorted out.

The question of the day is this - Which generally looks better...painting the mortar first and coming back over the faces with the brick tones? Or painting the brick tones then coming back and washing in the mortar? In this test piece I did the former, but I'd like to hear the thoughts of others with more experience. For this project, I'd much prefer that the mortar is not overly prominent, if that helps steer the discussion.

Dio1_Test_01-vi.jpg

Dio1_Test_04-vi.jpg

Dio1_Test_05-vi.jpg

I'm not real experienced with scale brickwork but I'm a structural engineer and very familiar with 1:1 brick. Doing things in scale the same as 1:1 usually works best. I would color the brick first then put the grout on with a water based material that can be wiped off the surface with water. This is how 1:1 brick is done ... the mason will wash down the joints with water to even off the joint and get residue off the brick face. Any staining that stays on the brick will make it look even more natural.

You're getting a nice variation in the brick which looks good and natural.

Edited by Foxer