Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run CBP '15 theme suggestions

Jantrix

Alright while working with this year's entry to get it done I had some time to think about what I will be building to the Sleeperball. Now when I got my idea figured out (It'll be something fun as I'm planning to install a powerful engine in a small & light body) I can't wait to get started! I hope no-one else comes up with the same idea than I did (I guess not :lol: )...

I can't wait to get started! I hope no-one else comes up with the same idea than I did (I guess not :lol: )...

Man, I'm right there with ya. There's been a project I've been kicking around for a long while, that popped into my head when Fred suggested this.

At a swap meet recently, the perfect kit dropped into my lap for it. I can't wait.

I've never participated but this sounds like too much fun to pass up!!

Dennis, these Cannonballers are the best group of builders on the web. Ask for help, you'll get it. As for an opinion, you'll get it. We'll be glad to have you.

Yeah Dennis you're going to love it, next year will be my third year. It's a total blast building along side these guys and getting to watch all the shenanigans that follow.

Still don't have a clue how I want to approach this theme, plenty of ideas, it's just which one do I go with.

I wouldn't let skill level rattle you Dennis. Everybody brings to their projects what's inside themselves, and most are happy with that. There will always be better builders. But this is a way to be part of something that's shared, where seeing how each person interprets the "assignment" is half the fun.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm interested in trying the Sleeperball, but I'm wondering what would be the level of sleep required? I just spent almost an hour rooting through my stash and most of the base cars I have aren't exactly sleepy! :blink:

"Sleepy" is subjective, so the base could really be anything. A 1970 Camaro with ugly biege paint, no spoilers, riding low in the rear, a bit of rust...could be sleeper with a 700 hp power plant.

Join, build, have fun.

So I'm interested in trying the Sleeperball, but I'm wondering what would be the level of sleep required?

Defining a sleeper might be as difficult as defining a muscle car.

But basically if you look at it and think "that's quick" then you've failed.

Quite right. I figure they fall into two categories.

1. Take a car that is not normally considered fast. Make it fast without altering its appearance that might let on that it's fast.

2. If the car IS normally thought of as fast, it should be in such poor condition/appearance, that no one would give it a second glance.

There are a LOT of options here. I encourage everyone to leave the old speedy standbys alone and look for something foreign, dated, small, and odd. Really put some imagination into this. A weathered '68 Charger won't be fooling anyone.

Big Rig Cannonball (any truck with a 5th wheel?)

Wayne

It's been decided that next year will be Sleepers.

And to be brutally honest restricting it to Big Rigs might limit the entries. I certainly wouldn't enter - nothing against trucks but I don't have space to build one.

No reason why you can't build a sleeper truck though. Allison V12 powered trucks have been built before for this CBP. It's just they were never finished or the builders forgot to enter them in the "start line" post.

Or, as Jant says, "foreign (OK - not american), dated, small and odd". I hope to see V6 Minis, Porsche Beetles, gas turbine Prius' and Hemi Trabants.