Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/28 and 1/43 scale RC racing?

FujimiLover

I've been collecting, and building Mini-Z's since they first came out back in '01. I've owned at least one-three of every type of chassis they offered and each one hopped up. Two years ago I had a large collection of their AutoScale bodies, about 50 of'em. However, due to bad-choices, mother passing away, et'c, I had to sell theme off to pay back Dad.

Anyway, enough of that blah, blah. Mini-Z's are great fun, but highly addictive and not for the low-budgeted people. You can't have just one. As soon as you start collecting the bodies, you'll want more and more and then you'll try and find some of the rarest ones. Some bodies alone can go for as high as 200 dollars which is rediculous cause that's the price of a ready-set!

Now that I've started school, lost some interest in the cars, I have sold just about all of theme excpet for two bodies. I have a Knight Rider KITT body, and of coarse my recently painted Toyota Altezza that you see as my avatar.

The coolest thing now, is Kyosho's 1/43 scale Dnano RC car. Go to this web site to learn more about'em.

http://www.nanotrax.net/store/

To purchase Dnano's in the USA, the only place I know of is here. Although dont' know if the store is still open.

http://www.dnanoshop.com/Kyosho_dNaNo_Cars_s/1.htm

One warning, these cars are very, very awesome, but very expensive. First, they are not available as ready set's. You have to buy the body-chassis kit seperately from the remote, battery, and charger. Body-chassis set alone costs just around 200 dollars depending on where you shop. The "starter kit" costs around 80 some dollars. Plus, their not officially released to the USA yet which makes'em expensive as well. Then there's the hop-up's for'em. I hope to have one soon but gotta take care of my cc bill first!

Currently, the best place, and cheapest place to buy the Dnano's from is at EGRMart.com. These guy's dont' mess around when it comes to delivering orders! They are based in Asia, not sure China or Japan, but I've ordered some stuff on a Sunday evening, and received the parts Wenseday the same week! Going with EMS delivery helps alot too, but sometimes it takes some stores 3-4 day's just to gather the stuff together, package it, and ship it out to you!

Edited by FujimiLover

• 3 months later...

Kyosho has released a limited edition MR02 Mini-Z chassis that has very special upgrades already included. Plus, they re-released their ever so popular body, the Lamborghini Murcielago, but this time in a gorgeous pearl white. I'm very strongly thinking about getting back into the Mini-Z scene with this new limited edition chassis and new re-released body! It won't be cheap, but it'll be an awesome combination. Only problem with the new limited edition chassis set, is that while it comes with all the optional upgrades, it does not come with a radio, PCB board. That can be another 100 dollars. I'm having the nicer 2.4 GHZ system put in mine.

This car will mostly be a shelf queen. I know what you all are thinking, why spend so much money on something that'll just sit for long periods of time? Because, I think this limited edition chassis and re-issued body will be highly sought after in years to come. The original Murcielago bodies are already worth a ton of money if a mint in box one can be found. So, I think with the combination of the two, it'll be a very special package especially if kept mint.

Plus, for the longest time, I've always collected theme before I discovered there was even a local racing group in my own town! However, I have not been racing with theme in the past year or so, but might get back into it. Almost tempted to buy two set's of everything! One to race, and one to keep minty fresh!

Does anybody else here race Mini-Z's or am I talking to my self here? Hmmmmmm :P:):blink::lol:

i race dNaNo.... we also allow Mini-Z's to run on our track as well. maybe there aren't many people interested in micro rc on this forum? but to answer your question, no... u r not talking to yourself :blink:

well, after looking at those nice and beautiful molded bodies, and neat hop-ups, and sweet looking rims, i am thinking of getting into these r/c cars! yeah, i do have a xmod, but these mini-z and dnana so much look better, and i wish i saw these first! lol!

thanks marc for showing these awsome r/c cars to me!!!!!!!!!

Don't thank me yet till you have one! Then you'll thank me for giving you a disease. Once you have one Mini-Z, you'll want more! The AutoScales will become a highly addictive substance with no known cure since darn Kyosho keeps making more awesome cars! The Dnano's will be easier to control since they are more expensive, but the want/need to collect those is just as big.

At least the Dnano's have their own AutoScale collection so you can just buy the bodies if you want to collect. However, unlike the Mini-Z cars, the Dnano's require special fitting parts for each body style where as the Mini-Z's are universal with a simple change to the front body locking plate, wheelbase length if needed and of coarse your choice in wheels with correct offset.

Either way, both are very fun, and ton's more powerful than the X's. If you manage to save up for the Dnano's, you'll be surprised by their performance in such a tiny little package! Nothing "toy-ish" about these guys except for their micro size!

Sorry to go rambling on here, but I've been in love with the Mini-Z scene since day one, about 9 years ago. It's a hard habit to kick! But at least it's healthier than smoking! LOL! "Which I don't do by the way!"

mini-z's are great except for the fragility of ASC models. if you're into just buying & placing for show, then you're in heaven... if you want to actually USE the models on a track, forget keeping them pristine & damage free. maybe the cracks and broken fenders add to the character? B) dnano is the best... startup cost is a bit high, but compared to total startup + extended cost of mini-z, you're around the same budget with either choice. 2 of my mini-z ASC are already damaged and on the "memories" shelf lol

Edited by NanoTrax

That is why I usually, or try to purchase two bodies. One to keep minty fresh, and the other one to abuse on the track. However, I no longer race theme, but still love to collect theme. I'm actually more interested in the Dnano line up and glad to see all the bodies coming out for it. I previously had the red Ferrari 360 Modena, and the yellow Lamborghini Murcielago. I sold those a while back and now I'm itching for the newer white Porsche 911 GT3 model. I've already got a set of aluminum wheels from AVM for it.

As for Mini-Z, I just recently got their brand new pearl white Lamborghini Murcielago AutoScale and I love it! I'm hoping to get the yellow and green ones before their sold out! Hope to god I can find the limited edition black Murcielago after I've collected the yellow and green. Would be nice to have the black one to complete the Murcielago set.

I was hesitant at first to purchase the pearl white Murcielago because of Kyosho's recent change in their bodies finish. But, I was pleasantly surprised and the only difference I see is that the Gloss-Coat models had gloss black details, trim-work, and the new Hand-Polished job's have flat black trim-work.

If you love displaying the cars as much as racing theme, always get two of each bodies. One to keep fresh, and one to race!

• 3 weeks later...
I was hesitant at first to purchase the pearl white Murcielago because of Kyosho's recent change in their bodies finish. But, I was pleasantly surprised and the only difference I see is that the Gloss-Coat models had gloss black details, trim-work, and the new Hand-Polished job's have flat black trim-work.

we got the Pearl White Lamborghini in this week! :) we got a few others in but figured i'd share... it is definitely beautiful but my personal favorite is the McLaren ;) ... more pics of incoming stuff on the nanotrax blog

post-4636-1249058527_thumb.jpg

post-4636-1249058557_thumb.jpg

Edited by NanoTrax

• 1 month later...

Well I bought the Pearl Green Murcielago raced the first time Tuesday night in Mooresville and had a blast.I have added bearings and the Kyosho ball diff.I want a 917 next.This is way better but more frustrating for noe than slotcar racing.It has been well over 20 years since I raced any RC cars let alone on a roadcourse.But each heat I got a little better.I am nor ranked 80th in the world it looks like we are a very small group at the moment.I think if Kyosho will market this right it could get huge.Qon how are you doing? Getting enough coffee???? ;)

Well I bought the Pearl Green Murcielago raced the first time Tuesday night in Mooresville and had a blast.I have added bearings and the Kyosho ball diff.I want a 917 next.This is way better but more frustrating for noe than slotcar racing.It has been well over 20 years since I raced any RC cars let alone on a roadcourse.But each heat I got a little better.I am nor ranked 80th in the world it looks like we are a very small group at the moment.I think if Kyosho will market this right it could get huge.Qon how are you doing? Getting enough coffee???? B)

wifey's makin some right now! :( 917k is a definite race competitor... i prefer the Gulf version over the original. i'm looking forward to testing the DBR9 :o

NanoTrax, it's good to see you here, but isn't this an odd forum for you to visit? Or do you also build model cars? This forum is mostly for building model kit's, but does have one thread for model car racing.

Anyway, I love my three Dnano's and can't wait for the Countach to arrive. I just wish I had the controller to race'em and a track to race on!

But collecting them and upgrading them is half the fun ain't it?

Not sure what to do after the Countach. I will obviously be upgrading the Porsche and Subaru next. But, I need to know a few thing's about a 1/43 scale model kit that I'm getting soon. I just found on ebay a 1/43 scale model kit from Heller of the Renault R5 Turbo. One of my favorite compact sport's cars. I predict that it'll be short like the 911, but wide like the Murcielago and HM. Should be a nimble little racer. I also want to find the same kit but of the Peugoet 206 WRC car also from Heller. I'm thinking the Pug 206 is longer than the R5? I won't know till I have both on hand's. The Renault was found on ebay for just under $7 dollars! Can't beat that price!

I will do a review write-up on building the model and mounting it onto the chassis. I'm looking at getting the Lancia Delta for the Renault R5 Turbo project. I plan on painting it red like the one Flatima Blush had on Never Say Never Again. I always loved that chase seen with her and Bond's super-bike!

NanoTrax, it's good to see you here, but isn't this an odd forum for you to visit?

not really.... i think dnano is PERFECT for a forum like "model car racing" since its a model car that we race ;) - i originally saw the link to nanotrax from this thread in my stats and decided to address some comments made. i hope that's ok :( ... i used to build 1/8 scale nitro cars and 1/10 scale buggy but dNaNo is a more economical and convenient option.