Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Scale Mosquito Aircrew

Pilot and navigator modified and painted prior to being 'belted in' to the cockpit and finished off. I am sure that five minutes from now a beautiful after-market sculpt will become available but too late, I will have this finished and not be tempted!

DSC02577.jpg

Great Work. I like this look.

:D

Hey George,

I am not going to be much help I am afraid. I am building this for an ex-pilot and he wanted it flying so it is all closed up and I didn't have to do any of the interior stuff except the cockpit. Some tips though, the figures are very basic and to be frank they are not up to any standard of figure casting. The navigator has no parachute or seat harness and the pilot has only a parachute harness. If you have them under that wide-open green-house of a canopy there is a lot of scratch detailing to be done. The crew hides most of the cockpit detail that is included. The bomb bay doors are too short by almost 1/8 inch, not so noticable if left open. The radiators and flaps are another choke point, I am almost of the opinion that they should be installed after the wings and nacels are put together. The rear fuselage needs beefing up along its length top and bottom. The decals are fairly heavy and forgiving and didn't give me any real problems except for silvering, my own fault. It uses up a ton of paint! It makes up into a large model and is very impressive when completed. My next big task is to cut out the propeller discs and get them mounted, then it will be almost DONE!

Richard only flew Mosquitos for a short time but fell in love with it.

Dan.

When you said "flying" I KNEW it's gonna be nice! Yes, I've seen the clear disc's done to simulate spinning props, very convincing look. The ones I saw had what looked like individual prop blades spinning. Looks like they drew a tri pointed star and then used an eraser of something to shade in the prop blades. Makes 'em look like thier spinning. Nice effect. Hope you can post pics of it when it's finished. It would be a REAL pleasure to see, Thanks,Dan! Not too many LARGE scale plane builders here, but it is a kinda nitch hobby.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Very nicely done ! My grandfarther piloted mozzys during ww2 he always loved them he was in a pathfinder sqn which meens no guns no bombs just flairs to mark the targets for the bombers following !!!! He said flying the mosquito was like true flying ! With both those merlins on full throtle you where the fastest thing in the sky nothing could touch you .

Thanks guys. The pilot I built the model for also loved flying the Mossie. He is a large man and I asked him how he could cope with the space but he said that once he got in and seated there was lots of room and he was very comfortable. He told me about a nasty vice that the aircraft had, namely flipping over at low speed if an engine cut out. To test it, he climbed to ten thousand feet and then throttled back to just above stalling speed and cut one engine, the aircraft immediately flipped over and there was a loud bang. He got it righted and flying level after losing three or four thousand feet with a cracked plexi panel to show for it. It was almost always fatal to lose an engine on take-off or landing.