Model Cars Magazine Forum

2015 Mustang independant rear end ( Picture)

SO, have ya seen Pics of it,? what do ya think,? What about a indepnedent rear suspension?

SO they say it will handle like its on rails? Something the road racers have been want for years,?

post-9659-0-69082700-1362510869_thumb.jp

post-9659-0-20227900-1362536305_thumb.jp

Edited by rel14

Why change what ain't broke?

I had a '76 280Z with independant rear.That thing would not launch in a straight line to save it's own butt.You never knew which way it was gonna go when you dumped the clutch.

At least with the way the Mustangs are now you know they are gonna go straight unless the road is wet.The '84 GT that I had would swap ends in a heartbeat if you pulled out to hard in first gear on a wet road.

Just my opinions and experiences.

I have not seen any good pictures of the 2015 yet either. IRS is an answer to all the car tester rags that pick on the Mustang for using archaic technology in the for of a live axle. Persoanlly I am not a fan of IRS as My 03 Cobra, GTO's, 5th Gen Camamro's are overly suseptible to violent wheel hop which gets worse as the power goes up. If the NVH guys would put in harder durometer bushings to quell the hop and the eventual breakage it might be worth while.

I've never had a problem w/ the cars I've had w/ IRS ('96 BMW M3, Cadillac STS, a couple older Mercedes) but I'm not a drag racer, more into good handling.

So this should be a big improvement. As good as the '12-13 Boss 302 was at handling, I would expect the new car w/ IRS to be even better...it's still over a year away until launch, so more information should be coming late in the year...

It's about time they dropped the horse and buggy "technology" and brought the Mustang into the 21st century!

Yeah, they've gone about as far as they can with the solid rear axle...I still like the '05-14 car quite a bit, wouldn't mind having one when I have more garage space.

I still don't see what's so big about having the inferior rear suspension over some variation of solid axle.......outside of looking more high tech. If you looks at External Explosion's XJ-R GRM 2012 Jeep Cherokee or Petty Cash Racing's #430 Jeep Cherokee 24 Hours of Lemons and Chump Car racer. They've both been top finishers and while 2wd, they have 2 solid axles regularly out perform what should have been faster cars with those trucks!

What have they done to the Mustang!That looks like something made by an electric car designer. He must have said "Lets get a car with a legendary reputation as a nice looking car and smear that on the ground.We can make it look like it's turning into a hatchback, put HUGE flares on the wheelwells, and make the front end look like the new ford hybrids!" I really like the look of the 08-13 Mustangs, you could see where the roots of it's design came from, now they have just killed it.

And yet the Corvette still uses a "leaf spring" at the rear end. ;)

It has an IRS w/ a transverse spring. The Mustang is the only RWD car left on the US market (or in the world, probably) w/ a solid rear axle. Every other performance or sports car uses an IRS.

Edited by Rob Hall

What have they done to the Mustang!That looks like something made by an electric car designer. He must have said "Lets get a car with a legendary reputation as a nice looking car and smear that on the ground.We can make it look like it's turning into a hatchback, put HUGE flares on the wheelwells, and make the front end look like the new ford hybrids!" I really like the look of the 08-13 Mustangs, you could see where the roots of it's design came from, now they have just killed it.

Exactly, you would have thought that they would have learned not to change the Mustangs after the Mustang 2. I personally think it looks like a mix of Aston Martin and Bugatti.

Edited by wrecker388

It has an IRS w/ a transverse spring. The Mustang is the only RWD car left on the US market (or in the world, probably) w/ a solid rear axle. Every other performance or sports car uses an IRS.

Right! And the reason they still use a solid axle has nothing to do with the "benefits" of one. It's all about keeping the Mustang's price down. That is the bottom line as to why they've held onto that ancient technology for so long.

Don't like it. Taking that Mustang look away again. The independant rear sounds nice but the car itself looks ugly.

You can't take any of the pictures on the internet currently seriously....those are just someone's thought about what it could look like, nothing official has been shown...it probably won't be shown for real until at least the LA auto show this winter...

The guys that raced the Cobras from 1999 and 2002 removed the IRS . One of the first things they did. They just do not take high amounts of horse power and launching down the track.

Just what Harry said, the GT 's had solid axle because of the price. My 2002 handles fine with this old set up.

The more the bells and whistles the more to go wrong.

Yeah I know that, Harry was just saying how finally the Mustang is getting rid of the "ancient" solid axle, yet the Corvette still uses an "ancient" leaf spring (albeit it being transverse rather than longitudinal) while still being able to handle just as well as cars costing twice as much.

imagesqtbnANd9GcRV5HJ6NK62UqYjI35x5_zpsc

imagesqtbnANd9GcS-U2Qk3_B02wkJa7lj3_zps8

2015-ford-mustang-spy-photos-news-c_zps4

Exactly, you would have thought that they would have learned not to change the Mustangs after the Mustang 2. I personally think it looks like a mix of Aston Martin and Bugatti.

Aston Martin, sure, all Fords new desgins are looking like Aston Martin, makes sense to share desgins , saves money, but as for the Bugatti, not seeing anything close that makes think that Edited by martinfan5

imagesqtbnANd9GcRV5HJ6NK62UqYjI35x5_zpsc

imagesqtbnANd9GcS-U2Qk3_B02wkJa7lj3_zps8

2015-ford-mustang-spy-photos-news-c_zps4Aston Martin, sure, all Fords new desgins are looking like Aston Martin, makes sense to share desgins , saves money, but as for the Bugatti, not seeing anything close that makes think that

The rear clip kinda has that shape. Actually, looking at the concept again it seems to share many body similarities to a Veyron

Edited by wrecker388

No one seems to comprehend that the images in first post are not official Ford images..they are just someone's renditions of what it might look like...and the black car in the 3 pics is just an engineering mule using a modified current body..

Edited by Rob Hall