Model Cars Magazine Forum

PRO XTREME CAMARO

baddgass

Oh yeah, I wasn't trying to usrp your thread griping about my engine and I wasn't neccessarily bashing Flashpoint, I'm sure I just got a blem.

I got the engine from Ted @ Tedsmodelingmarketplace.com and he's replacing the engine for me.

Awesome dude and awesome customer service.

I just was looking at your engine and how different mine was.

I'm sure you did a bit of cleanup to get it looking so good, mine would just have required more surgery than it was worth.

I really look forward to seeing more of your work, it's simply amazing and even though I do not have an nth of the ability and talent you have, your work is very inspiring to say the least.

• 2 months later...

OK guys i just thought i let you know the status of the Camaro.

Painting a resin body is hard! All the clean up work , and don't mess up ( and i did :wacko: ) TWICE :(

So back to cleaning up the body.

Thank you all for the kind words of encouagemeit. :D

I started fooling with my Flashpoint 572.

Rough!

I've gott to redo the heads, they are waaaay off, one side far higher than the other.

The intake deck is off too, the bellhousing area really off.

Maybe I just got a Monday casting.

It won't look as good as yours but I'll manage.

I sure do love seeing the work you guys do, I am such a novice in comparison.

Oh yeah, I wasn't trying to usrp your thread griping about my engine and I wasn't neccessarily bashing Flashpoint, I'm sure I just got a blem.

I got the engine from Ted @ Tedsmodelingmarketplace.com and he's replacing the engine for me.

Awesome dude and awesome customer service.

I just was looking at your engine and how different mine was.

I'm sure you did a bit of cleanup to get it looking so good, mine would just have required more surgery than it was worth.

I really look forward to seeing more of your work, it's simply amazing and even though I do not have an nth of the ability and talent you have, your work is very inspiring to say the least.

Hay thank Michael i to had to do some clean up on the engine. Happy they repace it. I had a buddy say the some thing.

Derrick... bummer to hear that you have to clean the body up again. I have painted a few resin kits in my times and have had very good luck with them. I know this is going to be a dumb question but did you soak it in wesley's bleach white by chance? The reason I ask this is because most resin bodies or parts need to be cleaned from the mold release that is on the body. I was told years ago that Wesley's was one good product to clean resin with. Besides doing that I will also wash my parts in a little warm water with Dawn. It will also help with removing grease. Once clean I sand and start adding bondo doing body work and primering etc... I have had to fill small pinholes and fix things like that but once you have it prepped good, you should be able to paint it just like a normal plastic kit.

By the way I am excited to see you back on this project. I have been itching seeing the body in paint. Keep up the great work Bro!!

Edited by Mooneyzs

Great to hear that you're back with this Camaro!

Sorry to hear about paint problems. I have painted AirTrax resin '59 Simca body and it's really great, because I did everything like I normally do, little sanding, little wash and paint-no problems. Then I've heard that Jimmy Flintstone bodies (what I have two) need lots of more washing, sanding, cleaning etc, even if they're not bad either. So those problems are because of the resin, I guess?

Whose casting is that body?

• 5 months later...

Just found this post and spent all evening reading it. Wow, what a build!

What happended?! Did you lose the fire after moving or something? Did the paint problems do you in?

That model was just waiting to start making the contest rounds. I'm sure it would be enjoyed by all.

Are you planning to finish it?

• 2 weeks later...

you have done a awesome job on this build so far

Wow! Awesome doesn't cover it.

I'm really enjoying the build and pics but would love to see more info posted esp regarding sizes.

BTW where did the wheels and tires come from? They are probably the best I've seen.

• 3 months later...

Derrick.... Hey buddy... I love the direction you are going with the paint on this. i think it looks killer my friend. I am so glad to see you back on this project. I can't wait to see more of what you do. Nothing wrong with putting this one aside for a bit but glad you are getting that motivation to get back to it. Looking forward to more.

Baddgas, I just went back and looked at your work room. It looks just like mine - except for the trophies, kits, completed models and clean work space - othewise it's just like mine.

Great bulld so far, just like we're accoustomed to from you.

Edited by TedsModeling

Derrick, so pleased to see this stellar build re-surface mate, that paint looks AWESOME!! B) B)

A little bit of time away goes a "long way" sometimes..... ;) I'm just getting back in the saddle myself. :) Good luck with it brother.

• 2 months later...