Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

My irk of the day? Okay from yesterday.... the deli counter at the supermarket. Don't get me into the service end of it, I can be critical since I ran a deli in my younger days and learned how to slice and package things. The staff here is union, most have been doing the deli for many years. Still they'll slice stuff wrong and package it so that it gels back into one big blob of meat or cheese.. and when you tell them how you want yours done they roll their eyes. I can't imagine doing something professionally and stinking at it... and not caring!

But my peeve is the customers. How come everyone takes their number and then stands right against the glass case, often with their cart sideways against the glass next to them? And their number is like 10 away? So you can't look into the cases to see the product at all, and these dolts (men and women equally) stand their ground and you have to reach over them as you're ordering and being handed your packages???

Why can't they all stand back and wait their turn??? People!

Yes! Ditto on the people who pull their cart right up to the cases and stand there like they own the place. Park your cart away from the display cases, morons! And if they're serving number 14 and you're number 38, could ya back off a bit so people who are actually being served can get up there? :rolleyes:

Must be those same people who stop their cart right in the middle of the aisle while they stand there and look at the shelves deciding what to buy.

And those must also be the same people who have two month's worth of groceries in their cart and get into the "Express Lane" 15 items or less checkout line.

If you ever want to see a "clueless wonder" in their natural habitat, check out your local supermarket... :lol:

Yes! Ditto on the people who pull their cart right up to the cases and stand there like they own the place. Park your cart away from the display cases, morons! And if they're serving number 14 and you're number 38, could ya back off a bit so people who are actually being served can get up there? :rolleyes:

Thanks Harry! I was getting my cheese and pastrami to make Crown Burgers! I stole some of it this morning to make egg and pastrami sandwiches for breakfast, but this afternoon it's Crown Burgers for sure! Yum! :P

Must be those same people who stop their cart right in the middle of the aisle while they stand there and look at the shelves deciding what to buy.

And those must also be the same people who have two month's worth of groceries in their cart and get into the "Express Lane" 15 items or less checkout line.

If you ever want to see a "clueless wonder" in their natural habitat, check out your local supermarket... :lol:

Sigh...........I had to deal with that just this morning Harry! I usually try to do grocery shopping very early on a Sunday morning. The fewer folks = less hassle for me to get in there and get out.

But this morning, I got a later start I as I needed to wait until our local Michael's opens up (10AM). I wanted to do everything in one fell swoop.........get 'er all done at once and get home!

Just as you've described above, there's always got to be a few numbskulls that are islands among themselves. They have no clue that OTHERS need to shop just as much as they do, and their time is just as important as anyone else's. :angry:

I can't imagine doing something professionally and stinking at it... and not caring!

Well sir, I've been in a variety of businesses over the span of my life, and that's by far the most common thing I've encountered. When I HAVE had the occasional employee or co-worker who actually was GOOD at what they were paid to do, it was always a pleasant deviation from the norm, and I always went out of my way to offer praise.

I've heard many many teachers say more or less the same thing...most kinds don't seem to care or really want to learn, and when a teacher comes across the rare student who DOES care, and who is in fact hungry for knowledge and capable of retaining it, they're overjoyed.

Stupid people with shopping carts! Yea, I get it. What I don't get is Costco idiots! Costco has huge aisles. Plenty wide enough for at least 3 abreast yet people still manage to block them and look at you like you have a square head when you ask to get by while they are starring blankly at a box of Cheerios. On top of that, on free sample days, you can get one little old lady blocking the whole aisle while she takes her time actually picking the sample and then just stands there while she eats it. By the way an old couple is worse than just one. Grab your #### sample and move on! You don't need to block off the whole ### aisle. Look around and be courteous. You aren't the only one in the whole stupid store!

IF and when you get older, you'll probably be the same way and use the shopping cart for a walker and take your sweet azz time doin' things as well. Thank God that you're able to get around and ask for some patience while you're at it. You sound like you're in a hurry to go NOWHERE.

What I don't get is Costco idiots!

My father was a Costco idiot. He had one a few minutes from his work and would go there and make a lunch of free samples. It made his day when he could eat enough to fill up. On down days he's splurge and buy the $1.50 hot dog and soda combo!

He'd go there looking for bargains, which is the scam behind the place. Any savings you'd get, they'd hope you'd spend on something you didn't need. People getting those huge boxes of Cheerios, never finished them before they went stale, probably only ate enough to justify the regular size box at half what they spent! My father once handed me a strip of 5 shrink wrapped stick deodorants. He bought the 6 pack and decided he didn't like the first one... now what to do with the other 5... hmmm..

Or he'd show up at my house with "Look! it's a Hagstrum's map of our county printed on plastic!" and my response would be, "Yea, you sure saved a lot on that visit!"

And the worst people to get around at Costco? The extended ethnic families that brought at least 4 generations along for the ride... everyone from week old babies up through 90 year old grand mum mum... like they were going to a fair for the day!

And the worst people to get around at Costco? The extended ethnic families that brought at least 4 generations along for the ride... everyone from week old babies up through 90 year old grand mum mum... like they were going to a fair for the day!

Times are hard. Sometimes you gotta get your outing wherever you can.

And as an English-German-Scottish American, I resemble your "ethnic" slur. :lol:

What would have irked me if I'd let it is that the super-babe short-haired brunette with the killer legs in the Hobby Lobby yesterday was probably smiling at me because I reminded her of her grandfather. B)

Being old bites, sometimes.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Heavy rains the other day took down a tree in the yard. There are so many vines crawling threw it that it's very difficult to get cleaned up. Today I cut some branches and have a pile that will easily fill a 10' trailer. There's at least twice that to go yet. I called the tree guy today to see what he'll charge to clean it up. My body is sore so Marcia rubbed my back with BioFreeze. Good stuff.

For a lot of people, that's all the "entertainment" they can afford.

Looks like from a couple of comments, I need to provide a little background info. As to the getting older part, I am 65 and have had my mobility issues from time to time. Doesn't mean that you can't pay attention to how your movements are affecting others.

There are plenty of seniors who have mobility issues and get around just fine. If there are two people who have mobility issued, one should bring the walker into the store, not grab two shopping carts and walk side by side down the aisle. If you want to take the time to look at something, pull your cart to the side, don't set it up at an angle across the aisle blocking anyone else's passage.

Yes, you can get your sample and move on. Standing in the way of anyone going in or out of an aisle while you taste your sample is rude no matter who does it, especially since the free sample days are also general busy days.

Since I have retired, I go to Costco more frequently than I use to and often in the middle of the day. I don't particularly enjoy shopping for groceries. It is just a fact of life. I generally have a list and just want to get in and get out with a modicum of efficiency. Frankly as I have gotten older, I have less tolerance for random acts of rudeness, intentional or other wise. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to be aware of others around you and try to keep traffic flowing. It doesn't matter whether it is Costco or another store with cart, keep thing moving. Very similar to right lane bandits and other traffic issues, but that is an entirely different rant.

My technique for avoiding the terminally clueless at the supermarket is to shop early in the day. I get there usually before 9, sometimes before 8... long before the hordes descend... :P

For the life of me, I can't understand who goes out shopping on a Saturday afternoon, when the whole world is out shopping.

My technique for avoiding the terminally clueless at the supermarket is to shop early in the day. I get there usually before 9, sometimes before 8... long before the hordes descend... :P

For the life of me, I can't understand who goes out shopping on a Saturday afternoon, when the whole world is out shopping.

Ya, I was in and out of Target by 9:00 yesterday morning...esp. in the summer in AZ I try and get anything where I have to be outside done as early as possible..for me, Saturday afternoon is for naps and Sunday morning for watching racing (F1, Indy Car, and NASCAR today)...

Edited by Rob Hall

What would have irked me if I'd let it is that the super-babe short-haired brunette with the killer legs in the Hobby Lobby yesterday was probably smiling at me because I reminded her of her grandfather. B)

Being old bites, sometimes.

On the Fourth I went down to Champaign to see my two daughters. My older daughter is currently without a car, so she has to take the bus, or rely on a ride from a friend, to do her shopping... so she asked me that since I was there, would I mind taking her to Walmart so she could pick up next week's groceries and save herself a bus trip. So we're in Walmart on the Fourth of July at about 8 PM... the place was deserted... there were maybe 10 customers in the whole store. There were probably more employees than customers in the building. But somehow we kept running into the same elderly couple in the aisles. My daughter tells me "those people keep staring at us."

I told her it's probably because they figure that girl is way too young to be with that guy! :lol:

Besides there seemingly being more stupid people these days it's the rude ones that really irk me the most. How many times when driving does some idiot do something stupid in front of you and then look at you like your the idiot ?