Model Cars Magazine Forum

RAPTOR! Romulan AT-ST Robot...Finished!

Anyone else get the impression that the floor of Ira's hoby area is a sea of white plastic shavings?

Great work as usual Ira. Your imagination knows no bounds.

Thanks Rob!

How did you know about the White Plastic Shavings :P ?

B)

Edited by Ira

NUTS!

A lot of the detail on the AT-ST looked flat so I decided to add some Nuts & Bolts!
I used small nylon Nuts & Bolts and the Plastic Bolt Ends are Model Railroad Parts.

DSCN5612R_zpsdb99fbe7.jpg

I drilled 2 holes for the first Nuts & Bolts in the Ankle area.

DSCN5599R_zps4b79a13c.jpg

Then I screwed the Nuts & Bolts in place.

DSCN5601R_zpsa99efffe.jpg

More Coming... B)

MORE NUTS!

I added Plastic Bolt Ends on both sides of the ankles.

DSCN5621R_zpsedc1e3ad.jpg

I added a Nylon Nut with a Plastic Bolt End attached on the Knee Joint and another Bolt End on the other Knee joint.

DSCN5627R_zpsb6b5d6de.jpg

I added 2 Bolt Ends to each of the 4 outside Claws and 6 more Black Bolt Ends on the Legs.

DSCN5628R_zps392ed952.jpg

More Coming... B)

Edited by Ira

ALL TOGETHER NOW!

I got the final Primer Coats on the Raptor & Egg. Now for Paint, Any Suggestions?
Here they are on the Base. I haven't decided exactly where to position them yet...

DSCN5689R_zps6455207c.jpg

Looking At You!

DSCN5705R_zpsea436a87.jpg

Rear View.

DSCN5709R_zps67480a4e.jpg

More Coming... B)

Edited by Ira

GREEN & GREEBLIES!

I started adding color to the Raptor. I am using 4 different shades of Green Acrylic Paints so far. I'll be adding Metal Metallic Colors after I finished with the Greens. This is Fun Stuff, Kind of like "Paint By Numbers".

DSCN5833R_zps46084e8c.jpg

Adding More Greeblies!
I cut the top of the thin strips, on the backs of the legs, and pulled them open and then slid the Springs in place.
Old Gears from clocks were then glued on the inside legs with a chrome caps added in the centers.
(Greeblies are Fun Details that you add to Sci Fi Models.)

DSCN5869R_zps36b99be4.jpg

Even More Greeblies!
I also added Radiator Hoses, Ala Kart Gear Shift Levers, Brass Gears and some old Green Glass Rhinestones.

DSCN5863R_zpsc00cba40.jpg

More Coming... B)

EGG PIPES!

I started to paint Green Highlights on the Egg...

DSCN6011R_zps74fc3364.jpg

Next I decided to add a couple Pipes to the Egg.
I cut 2 lengths of Aluminum Tubing and then 2 more one size smaller.
I started the Pipe Holes with an X-Acto Knife and enlarged them with a Reamer.

DSCN6014R_zpsf883d99b.jpg

Here are the Pipes glued in place...

DSCN6021R_zps10c47b41.jpg

More Coming... B)

EGG EYE!

I measured to find Front - Center, a good place to add a Sensor...

DSCN6025R_zpsdd933aac.jpg

Found a Glass Rhinestone for the Sensor. I drilled a hole for the Sensor with a Number 11 blade in an X-acto knife. Then I trimmed the edges of the hole on an angle so the Sensor would set flat.
I painted the area before attaching the Sensor. Green Acrylic Paint and a Green Sharpie were used to do the graphics.

DSCN6035R_zps4d3806fe.jpg

And maybe a little Green in the back...

DSCN6037R_zps130e237c.jpg

More Coming... B)

FINISHING THE PAINTING!

I'm almost finished hand painting the colors for Raptor. I ended up using Silver, 4 Shades of Green, Flat Black, Gloss Black, Gold, Gunmetal, Flat Aluminum and Brass Paints. First I painted all the colors with 2 coats, then I came back and painted over any mistakes.
I used a Black Sharpie to paint the Horizontal Windows on the Raptor Head. I also used a Green Sharpie to outline the Green areas before painting.

DSCN6079R_zps439da532.jpg

I am using The Detailer Washes on the Raptor.
I started with the Raptor Engines and the Egg Thruster. I laid them down so that The Detailer Wash will settle down in the Engine and Thruster Crevices. After they dried I turned the Raptor on its side and added Wash in areas that needed extra attention.

DSCN6069R_zpsdfd2a1c8.jpg

More Coming... B)

Edited by Ira

WASHES!

I decided to put a Graduated Wash on the Raptor. I started with a Grey wash and applied it from just under the Wings and Down to the Feet. Then I applied some diluted Black Wash from midway down the Legs to the Feet. Next I applied a coat of undiluted Black from the Knees down to the Feet.

DSCN6098R_zpsad136695.jpg

I applied some Testors Dullcoat to the Body of the Raptor, none for the Head.

DSCN6099R_zps13c4892a.jpg

I didn't apply any Washes or Dullcoat to the Head. I like the Clean Look on top with the Dirt building up all the way down to the Feet.
When I added an Amber Rhinestone to the Eyes the Raptor seemed to come Alive! Well maybe it just looks more alive now.
I'm doing some last minute Detailing and mounting everything to the base, so the next Photos you see will be of the Finished Raptor!

DSCN6114R_zps792a3d30.jpg

Finished Photos Coming Soon... B)