Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 69 Camaro ProMod

stump

Ok, well....here goes. :)

This will be a very ambitious WIP and WILL take a while.....my apologies for that right now. :P

It's a subject I've had etched in my mind for some time, though it's only since a lot of these 68-69 bodied Camaro ProMods started gathering interest, that my inspiration took hold....

Originally it was to be "stock" bodied.......that's going back a while. But now.....................:blink: Chop, chop......grind, grind...................All of a sudden, I had a body in a million pieces.....well, almost.

The roof got chopped, though I will most likely remove another couple of mm before it goes back on.

It also got narrowed, or pied (?? does that sound right) Removed a triangular section down the centre line, narrower towards the rear, so it pulled the windscreen in closer at the top front.:)

The front end is getting "squashed" down a little, and lengthened ahead of the fronts, to the max. of 45 scale inches. The rear will be stretched also.

The front guards taper towards the centre too, so much that the grill area was narrowed by 11mm on both sides.

The "slab" sides will eventually have a nice (but ever so slight) curve towards the ground.

And both front and rear wheel openings will be re-shaped.

Time, yeah.....I got plenty of time. :D Between this, the 1/16 Camaro, and a couple of Datsun's.....well.......we shall see how I go, hey. :D;)

Ok, bare in mind......this is VERY early development.......and VERY rough.....................

DSCF7327-vi.jpg

DSCF7344-vi.jpg

DSCF7345-vi.jpg

DSCF7329-vi.jpg

Plus, I had this started a good time back....(1/12 ProMod Vette.....never finished....oops.)

Just making it look a little closed to a BAE engine these guys all want to run these days. I'll make a PSI blower and hat to match as well.

DSCF7343-vi.jpg

Ok, back to the bench for this ol' timer........

More as it happens. B)

cheers

Greg

Thanks for the kind words of support guys. B) I'll be needing bucket loads of that before I'm done, I'm sure. :o

Dave, yes......the thought of being a "one off" is stimulating, but scary at the same time....:huh::);)Will be (has been so far) a lot of fun.

Jeff, 'mind racing with possibilities'.....?? you bet. B) I have soooo much planned, just need to pull it off. ;)

:P @ Len. Nah, all good Len. ;) The other build is safely stored for later.....not sure how much later. My mind kept wondering whilst I worked on that, so figured it was better to leave it a while...

cheers guys

Greg

Stump,

This is going to be a great build and I really like where this is heading so far. Maybe this will be some inspiration for my 1/12th scale Camaro that I have had in the closet for years ;). Can't wait to see the progress on this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Stump,

This is going to be a great build and I really like where this is heading so far. Maybe this will be some inspiration for my 1/12th scale Camaro that I have had in the closet for years ;). Can't wait to see the progress on this one.

Thanks Chris. Yes....get the old 69 out and start work mate. B)

Bit of an update.....

Would you believe me if I said it was easier to imagine, than what I'm finding the actual build is.....:huh: Never the less, it continues......

Front end extension is getting close, both wheel openings are roughed in, puttying is nearing completion on one side.....

DSCF7364-vi.jpg

The other side, pre-putty......It won't take much to get them matching.....................I hope. :lol:

DSCF7365-vi.jpg

Long shot. The "wedge" shape is starting to take shape (doh!) Started on the rear flanks too....

DSCF7367-vi.jpg

DSCF7369-vi.jpg

The shape is a bit more apparent from this low angle, looking towards the front.

DSCF7370-vi.jpg

With some luck, the rears will be a lot closer by the weeks end....Though I think I'm gonna need more putty.....:)

Also started giving more thought to wheels and tyres....I have some resin front runners (scored off ebay long ago)...Not 100% accurate, but I think I can re-manufacture them some what. ;)

Then I need to decide on 5-hole Magnum or 5-spoke "Star" style Magnum/Performance rims.....???

Stay tuned....more to come soon. :)

Cheers

Greg

Small update guys...

I had to re-do one side at the rear.....the RHS top of fender was about 3mm lower than the left......wasn't really apparent until I glued the new rear deck on. :P;)

Anyway, the deck come off, the height was adjusted and all back to good again.

Front view again (new rear fenders in place now)

Also widened the sides of the new scoop.....they were looking way too vertical for my liking.....

DSCF7375-vi.jpg

New rear skins in place. The tail-light panel has been narrowed and attached as well.

DSCF7377-vi.jpg

Checking the new roof height. The "C" pillars (sails ?) will be stretched about 10-12mm and blended into the rear flanks when the time comes.

DSCF7392-vi.jpg

DSCF7391-vi.jpg

Starting to finally look like a Camaro again....................:blink::lol:

DSCF7381-vi.jpg

I threw a heap of putty into it today. Small tip....don't let your Tamiya putty get too old. :lol:

I had to work the tube so much to get any out, the tube (light aluminium ?) actually split, leaving me no option but to use as much as I dared....

Allowing a good 24hours before I attempt any sanding, make sure it sets hard.....here's hoping. :D

More soon guys

Stump, it's been SOOOOOOO long since you posted ANYTHING(How long HAS it been,Johnny????) That even if it takes a YEAR to finish this, it'll be worth it! I KNOW livein in PARADISE can pull you away from the bench occasionally, but ya DO have a BUNCHA model hungry homies that WANT to see your work. LIKE ME!!!! hows the Dat commin along? ANYTHING you show is ALWAYS worth the wait,my freind!!!!:D :D :D;):)

:lol: Thanks George, I can always rely on you for encouragement mate, I love making you happy. :D:lol:

Mate, yep....been lucky to sneak a few days at the bench over the break. Still don't get as much time as I'd like, but you take it when you can.....

Well, I got a fresh supply of putty this morning, and have another coat drying on the body as we speak (??)....

In the mean time, I got to work on the motor, as it all needs to be scratch-built.....

New heads started, one almost finished......and a start on the rocker covers.

DSCF7401-vi.jpg

The pic above shows minor work on the front of the block too....Since starting the motor (years ago) I have found that I had it not all that accurate....:mellow:

A "new" front cover is being made to get that much closer to being more in line with currant BAE spec. motors.

The rear is also getting updated, as I had the radius of the bell-housing mounting ALL wrong. Oh well, fun and games.....

Mock up.....

DSCF7396-vi.jpg

Rear mock up shows the incorrect bell housing mount....It will be a good bit shorter, and slightly tighter radius.

DSCF7398-vi.jpg

Rocker covers taking shape...Aluminium tubes were inserted for the plug leads.

DSCF7406-vi.jpg

DSCF7407-vi.jpg

Need to get a start on the manifold and blower now....

More soon guys, and thanks for stopping by.

Greg

:lol: Thanks George, I can always rely on you for encouragement mate, I love making you happy. :D:lol:

Mate, yep....been lucky to sneak a few days at the bench over the break. Still don't get as much time as I'd like, but you take it when you can.....

Well, I got a fresh supply of putty this morning, and have another coat drying on the body as we speak (??)....

In the mean time, I got to work on the motor, as it all needs to be scratch-built.....

New heads started, one almost finished......and a start on the rocker covers.

DSCF7401-vi.jpg

The pic above shows minor work on the front of the block too....Since starting the motor (years ago) I have found that I had it not all that accurate....B)

A "new" front cover is being made to get that much closer to being more in line with currant BAE spec. motors.

The rear is also getting updated, as I had the radius of the bell-housing mounting ALL wrong. Oh well, fun and games.....

Mock up.....

DSCF7396-vi.jpg

Rear mock up shows the incorrect bell housing mount....It will be a good bit shorter, and slightly tighter radius.

DSCF7398-vi.jpg

Rocker covers taking shape...Aluminium tubes were inserted for the plug leads.

DSCF7406-vi.jpg

DSCF7407-vi.jpg

Need to get a start on the manifold and blower now....

More soon guys, and thanks for stopping by.

Greg

this is SOOOOOO GREAT to see you building brother!!! looking really great for a Scratchbuilt Project!!

Thanks so much Santiago, Earl, Rick and Derrick. :D

Well, the last week/few days have been eventful, managing a good bit of time at the bench.

EDIT:

Meant to add a HUGE thanks to Comp1839. B)

Dave is a huge inspiration for me, as well as many of you as well. His help is greatly appreciated, and has helped me on more than 1 occasion.

Finally got the roof "finished" enough to get it glued back on....Still has some flaws which need ironing out, but at least it's back in place. ;)

DSCF7433-vi.jpg

Also added the sail extensions to the "C" pillars.

They may be a tad long, but once blended in they will look ok, I hope......

Today I started to add in the "L" channel around the window perimeter, so that the new rear glass fits in flush.

DSCF7451-vi.jpg

Motor work....

I have an intake manifold/plenum fabbed up.

DSCF7414-vi.jpg

DSCF7420-vi.jpg

And a change of plans regarding a blower........:huh:

My original idea was to make a PSI style blower, but I had trouble finding suitable diameter tubing to work with....

Then....................DOH ! What about a 1/12 blower from the Monogram Vette kit. ??? Bit small. :)

I cut it down the centre, front to rear. Added approx. 2mm of sheet to widen it, and presto.....

I'm in progress with extending the length as well. I found some great reference on Kobelco Superman blowers, complete with dimensions. B):)

DSCF7444-vi.jpg

Also worked on the magneto.

DSCF7456-vi.jpg

Test fit.....

DSCF7458-vi.jpg

Over view of motor work.

DSCF7460-vi.jpg

Still another couple of putty layers to go on this arvo, bit more motor work, plus whatever else I can squeeze in.....

Stay tuned, more to follow, and thanks for stopping by.

cheers

Greg

Edited by stump

You are making good progress. I love the direction of where you are going with the body. I love that cowl piece on the hood, Looks awesome. That is some skill you have with scratch building the engine, It's impressive my friend.

Thanks Chris and Paul. :angry:

Paul, I might just try that source. :lol: I'm thinking I may regenerate my old 67 'Vette ProMod project too.....need something to sit along side this one. :lol:

So it may end up with a PSI perched on top.....either that or a nitrous motor wedged in it's guts.....

Well, I'm having slow progress on the body......putty takes forever to dry down here at the moment, and I'm trying not to apply it too thick as well.....

It is however, taking shape.

The rear window opening is looking pretty good, and another couple of goes puttying should see it nearly ready for some primer.....??? We shall see......

DSCF7490-vi.jpg

DSCF7494-vi.jpg

DSCF7499-vi.jpg

In between spare moments, I've continued on the blower. I really think this was easier than trying the PSI......

Front cover/snout in the early stages.....

DSCF7468-vi.jpg

DSCF7469-vi.jpg

DSCF7473-vi.jpg

All holes drilled, the main cover (larger piece) will "bolt" to the housing with threaded bolts, the smaller cover is getting simulated bolts.

DSCF7474-vi.jpg

DSCF7488-vi.jpg

Final check.....

DSCF7487-vi.jpg

DSCF7481-vi.jpg

That's about it for this weekend...I'll sand the body and apply some more putty before turning in later tonight.....

Thanks for stopping by and hope you like it.

cheers

Greg

you're making excellent progress on this, greg. body is looking awesome! this is a HUGE undertaking and you're pulling it off with alot of finesse. the blower remake is looking spot on. keep up the hard work.

Thanks so much Dave, much appreciated. ;)

Not a real lot to report, the body has had some more putty.....I've almost finished the blower, just the last details to be added to the rear cover plate. :blink:

I'm just about to dive in and cut the body to pieces again...................................but not in a bad way. :P The front clip needs to be separated to enable proper access to the chassis work. ;)

Which I kicked off yesterday.......:o

Going with "plastic" 3.2mm rod/tube. It won't be as nice (or sturdy) as brass, but I'm far more confident in plastic, and my cheap soldering iron threw in the towel.....:lol:

I figure by the time I get ALL the bars in place, this will be more than adequate for the job......

DSCF7502a-vi.jpg

DSCF7501a-vi.jpg

DSCF7504a-vi.jpg

And one last quick overview, before it gets cut to pieces......

DSCF7503a-vi.jpg

Hope to get a fair bit done on the chassis over the next few nights......plus chop the body.

Stay tuned, and thanks for stopping by.

cheers

Greg

Thanks Romell and Jeff. ;)

Well, work has gathered pace on the chassis.....yet to chop up the body. :P

I drilled and added a centre bar (crank size) through the motor, to help keep everything lined up back to the diff....

DSCF7506a-vi.jpg

Bell-housing/scatter-shield made from a plastic bottle I had laying around.....it's pretty close to the right size. :D

DSCF7509a-vi.jpg

I had this resin Lenco in my stash for a while, and was happy to go with that.....

However, it is a bit off in regard to proportions, plus it's kinda warped and bent.......even got as far as making a bracket to mount it.....

DSCF7522-vi.jpg

But, my obsessiveness gave out in the end.....:blink: and I decided to make my own......

Again, an empty plastic bottle gave the desired size I wanted, so I cut it into two sections, added some flanges, and here we have the beginnings.....

(I'm undecided on whether to ADD all the bolt detail, or go with out......??? <_<

reason being, I would like to add a "bag" to it.....Should I go full bolt detail/un-bagged, or leave it and bag it...??? :) )

DSCF7540-vi.jpg

Pedals.....brake and clutch......

DSCF7524-vi.jpg

Will mount here.......cross bar, supported by brackets at both ends.

DSCF7515-vi.jpg

Brake pedal.....

DSCF7537-vi.jpg

Brake reservoir.....

DSCF7534-vi.jpg

And location......

DSCF7536-vi.jpg

Overview of where it now sits.......

DSCF7527-vi.jpg

When I get the Lenco finished (bagged or un-bagged) and make the mounts for it, I can then start to add in the rest of the bar work.......

More to come, hope you enjoy and thanks for stopping by.

cheers

Greg