Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bad habits

I am a tosser.

When I am working at my bench and I get in the zone, I will toss the file or knife I am using somewhere on the bench without looking at where it goes. Then I have to find it agian. It's even worse when I toss a part like that. So far the best cure is try to toss tools to the left and parts in a tray at mid center. I am about 80% with hitting the mark. When the tool pile gets too deep, it's time to clean the bench.

I really don't worry about putting too much (even barely) visible detail into a build. I love that part. Although finishing something would be nice. It's been a couple years now.

Scott

Here's another one, a lot of you guys know what I'm talking about. I spend way too much time on details that no one will ever see like spark plug wires with boots on the end that will be hidden under the exhaust manifolds, or coil wire and fuel lines that will be hidden under the huge air cleaner.

I think we create those details for the challenge and satisfaction of doing so. Even if they're not seen, we know they're there! :)

...Another bad habit...is not working on models for days at a time. I kind of go in phases I guess.

Why is that a bad habit?

It's a hobby not a job. It's supposed to be fun which it won't be if you have to force yourself to do it.

Build when you feel it, start as many as you want and finish as few as you like.

And as for bad habits - reading this while cooking. I just burnt a pan full of onions & tomatoes...

Why is that a bad habit?

It's a hobby not a job. It's supposed to be fun which it won't be if you have to force yourself to do it.

Build when you feel it, start as many as you want and finish as few as you like.

And as for bad habits - reading this while cooking. I just burnt a pan full of onions & tomatoes...

When I started the topic, I knew "habit" wasn't exactly the best word. They do say, if you're having fun, you're doing it right! I was curious if others like myself took short cuts and if so, which ones. Sounds like I'm not alone. And onions and tomatoes are best when in the garbage. :0) Yuck.

True, not a bad habit... I have periods of intense building and then need to lay off a few days. When I'm on a roll I try to get everything I can done because I know it's not gonna last forever!

I do like to be pushed by a deadline too. Otherwise I'd get nothing done. So if I decide I need to finish a model, or part of a model to bring to a club meeting or show, I can get it done.

My bad habit is simply that when I get near the end of a project I for some reason find that I rush. Why ? I'm not sure. I'm not a child and need to see it done but yet I act like that. Also, when I screw up ( and I sure do ) it is almost always during final assembly. I can't help myself !

My bad habit is simply that when I get near the end of a project I for some reason find that I rush. Why ? I'm not sure. I'm not a child and need to see it done but yet I act like that. Also, when I screw up ( and I sure do ) it is almost always during final assembly. I can't help myself !

Ditto on this one too!

Ok, here is my biggest problem, and i yell at my kids for this..... being lazy. Putting a kit back in the box because i cant find a part i want (actually i wont LOOK for the part i want!). parts dont fit.... back in the box, burned thru the paint, bad flocking, dont like this or that.... back in the box.... i have so many stalled projects because of small 15 minute fixes, it's rediculous.... and then it happens........ i start another project and it starts all over.

another bad habit is the internet. get an idea on how i want to build this dart, and i see another picture of a dart and head in that direction, then i change my mind again, and again....... so what do i do ........... start yet another project.

Ok, here is my biggest problem, and i yell at my kids for this..... being lazy. Putting a kit back in the box because i cant find a part i want (actually i wont LOOK for the part i want!). parts dont fit.... back in the box, burned thru the paint, bad flocking, dont like this or that.... back in the box.... i have so many stalled projects because of small 15 minute fixes, it's rediculous.... and then it happens........ i start another project and it starts all over.

another bad habit is the internet. get an idea on how i want to build this dart, and i see another picture of a dart and head in that direction, then i change my mind again, and again....... so what do i do ........... start yet another project.

This is SO true of me too. It's so fun to start a kit. But finishing one seems like torture. When you're first looking thru the parts, your dreams are large and no degree of hard work is too much for THIS kit. Then 72 hours later, you see that a part needs to be repainted, and it's back in the box so you can start a new project. I wish I could purchase a kit and work on just that kit til finished. Then repeat.

I tend to get all the way to ALMOST completion, then I get to the color coats an it goes back in the box! i like doin the comlicated parts,Steerable fron ends, opening doors an trunks, modifieing bodies in general(after all, it's only plastic)then, hen all what i think is the fun stuff, I put it away and start on something else! Got ALOT of need paint only needed to finish kits. But hey, THAT's the fun part to me, I don't need to finish them to enjoy the hobby.

sometimes I don't finish them because I'm into the build and once it's finished it's over. I find myself detouring off to create little details and keeping the build alive. I do the same with a good book. When I start it, I'll read chapters until I'm blurry eyed. Once I get near the end, I'll read a chapter per sitting, then a few pages at a time when I'm really close to the end! I have three models on my bench right now that are 95% done and what do I do? Start another one!

I have a lot of bad habits, the only mold lines /seem lines I worry about are on the body, everywhere else, unless they are really bad, I ignore them for the most part. Thats just one that I can think of now. Cutting corners, I have been known to tape window glass in vs gluing :lol:

A lot of you folks have severe problems and need to see a professional about them. Maybe someone could start on online rap group to discuss common issues. I'll get 2 or 3 builds going and work through them until completed. I have, and will NEVER have a project stash!

Me either, I think right now I have a back up on the bench with two builds that have been sitting there for months now, if I start a kit, I finish the a kit, well minus the two that have been sitting lol