Model Cars Magazine Forum

Malco Gasser "Sorta WIP"

In between a multitude of commision builds i have somehow found some time for a few of my own. I have a Mad Max II build which just needs a few glamour shots to be considered finished.

But between all these Aviation, Armor and Maschinen Kreiger builds i have found time for my personal passion Drag Raciing.

Here is a sorta WIP already well along for the latest modified reissue of the 1967 Malco Gasser Mustang. I used Acryilic paints almost exclusively through my airbrush. I used Tamiya and Vallejo Acrylic paints throughout this build. The only mods were a scratchbuilt blower drive since the stock one was pathetic and a few other mods not worth mentioning.

The Acrylic clearcoat was not polished since the originals were not perfect. I did use Duplicolor color coats that I had om hand for the light and dark blue colors. i also used MM buffing metalllics where I felt they were needed.

f0y9ec.jpg
34xpzj4.jpg
243kmyd.jpg
330tqxl.jpg
j8h84x.jpg

The finished model will be shown soon here in the Drag Racing section.

Edited by Dragline

Thanks for the kudos fellas. I must say that the kit instructions for this kit are typical 70's MPC. Lots of ambiguous parts placement call-outs and questionable mating surfaces. It's almost like the builder must be his own machine shop and test fitting everything is an absolute must. I think I removed every locating pin on the kit before I glued a single part together. I also removed about 40% of the chrome as well. The seats are proving tricky to paint since they have dark blue stripes on a few of the tuck and roll parts. It gave me fits tonight but since I'm using acrylics, if i don't like the result some reduced ammonia removes the paint for another try. I thought far enough ahead to use white laquer for the seat paint so it is unaffected by my goof-ups till I get it perfect.

It's still a great kit that is going to look unique in my display case.

Wow, first time anyone has called my model anything superb. High praise indeed and I thank you sir.

I am digging the color as well. It's Duplicolor Perfect Match BGM0539 Lt Mett Blue and BCC0422 Intense blue pearl for those who are digging them. I think the Lt Blue is a dead nuts on flake wise for the real car if a shade darker overall. The wheel flares were airbrushed with Tamiya metallic blue thinned a bit. I think I'm going to change the blower belt since the idler should direct the belt to the inside not outside like I have it.

These Duplicolor paints do like to blush so make certain it's pretty dry when you use them. But after experimenting I found that even large blush spots completely dissappear with clearcoat on them.

I finished the headers and am about to blue them with some acrylic and the seats are done. What a pain it was painting those dark blue stripes on those little seats.

Pics perhaps by Sunday. I should have it finished by the beginning of the week.

Bob

A little update here. I decided to rework the header since drilling them was proving frustrating. I am making them out of aluminum and after a bit of cleaning up and Alclad they should be much better. I am almost done with the drivers side which was tricky since the steering shaft goes between the center two. Here is the pass side mock up and the blower belt correctly routed.

2qssztu.jpg
wp7yb.jpg

Bob

• 9 months later...

Congrats!!!!! It turned out really nice and thanx for sharing this one.

A quick note: My friend actually sold the real car. I remember sitting in it and was kind

of blown away by the interior work. I think I took some pics sitting in the drivers seat.

I also worked for Ohio George on his '33 Willys and had George sign some things for me.

I started this kit about 20 yrs ago and then shelved it. Almost done and your pics are

inspiring me to jump on it and finish it this year. I have many drag cars started and put

on the back burner because I got so involved in building my Blown Fuel Altered the last

10 yrs. Time to get on the kits again!

Cheers