Model Cars Magazine Forum

Richard Petty's 1983 Pontiac

hogs29

This is one I built a few years ago.

Basically a box stock build with Tamiya colors and clear, and a window net made from thin strips of medical tape colored with a red Sharpie. I used bits and pieces from several decal sheets and hand cut white decal for the stripes as the Monogram Petty combo kit represents the 1982 car, which is essentially the same with the colors reversed.

Petty-vi.jpg

Petty2-vi.jpg

Guest roadkill2525

I believe the reverse paint job was Kyle's when he drove the 43. Kyle and Richard would switch cars during the season to stay in good point postions until NASCAR put a stop to it.

Thanks guys. That's an old build, so maybe I'll get around to posting some more recent stuff.

Michael, you've almost got it. In 1982, both Kyle and Richard drove STP sponsored cars with the identical paint scheme, just with the colors reversed. Every now and again, they would swap numbers to do the point thing, but Kyle got 7-11 sponsorship in 1983 and changed from #42 to #7 while Richard used the same paint sheme he had in '82 just with reversed colors. I hope that wasn't too confusing. :|