Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Ferrari Kits

Stang88

Are you thinking of any in particular? I've built several and would only warn you off of the 360s; they are not good. The 612, besides being the only one available, is a really nice kit. The Enzo is a good inexpensive alternative to the Fujimi or Tamiya kits. The 430, though similar to the 360, is a much better kit. The more recent ones I've not built (599, California, 458) are all getting very high marks from modelers on this forum and elsewhere on the Interweb.

Are you thinking of any in particular? I've built several and would only warn you off of the 360s; they are not good. The 612, besides being the only one available, is a really nice kit. The Enzo is a good inexpensive alternative to the Fujimi or Tamiya kits. The 430, though similar to the 360, is a much better kit. The more recent ones I've not built (599, California, 458) are all getting very high marks from modelers on this forum and elsewhere on the Interweb.

Curtis pretty well nailed it.

• The 360 series from Revell AG was poor but from the 430 up the releases are getting better and better.
  • The 430 kits are good alternatives to the Fujimi versions. The engine in the Revell 430's is slightly better but the Fujimi body is crisper. Wheels and tires are slightly better on the Fujimi, but both are small.
  • The 612 is pretty good. The whell lip moldings are too thick but can be adjusted.
  • The Revell 599 GTB has an engine whereas the Fujimi is curbside. The Fujimi body is a bit crisper than the Revell. I have seen conversions where a Fujimi body was fitted over the Revell chassis
  • The Revell California is a very decent kit. There is no Fujimi equivalent. In the open top version, there is a gap that needs to be addressed between the interior and body. This is not a problem on the closed top version.
  • The Revell 458 is far and above better than the Fujimi version. The Fujimi interior is quite plain and requires considerable work. My only peeve with the Revell 458 is the engine is too simplified. But since it is so buried in the engine bay, it is not a concern for most modelers. I just like to detail out engines when provided in a kit.

In general, the biggest dislike I have of the Revell AG Ferraris is that the wheels and tires are too small and not prototypical enough. They also have the odd fabrication of wheel front, brake disk and then wheel rear so that the wheels can roll.

I generally use aftermarket wheels that are more accurate on either the Fujimi or Revell wheels. But, you can get by with the kit supplied versions as well.

Revell AG has announced they will be doing modified reissues of the 599 in the form of the 599 GTO and SA Aperta (599 spyder). They are the only ones to have annouced this.

HTH.

Gerry

Thanks for the all the feedback, you guys pretty much covered all the models I was looking at. Why do they do all Ferrari's in 1/24th but all new kits from Revell of any other car is done in 1/25th?

Another thing I find interesting, is I have read people complaining forever about Revell and inaccurate tire sidewall height, size, etc, you think over all these years Revell would get it together and make better tires.

Depending on the Ferrari you want to build, if it is one of the ones being made by a Japanese manufacture, you can most of the time find it for about the same price as the Revell version , within a few dollars. I like getting the Fujimi and Tamyia ones as I like the wheel and tires better.

Is there any difference in the German Revell Ferrari kits vs Revell USA kits?

I am only guessing...but i believe they are the same kits....same tooling (molds) just different packages (boxes)..also the Revell from Germany kits are more $$$...That much of a difference i know..

Cheers....Don aka XJ6 B)

Is there any difference in the German Revell Ferrari kits vs Revell USA kits?

No they are the same kits, except 10lbs of Ferrari shoved in a 5lb sack. Their kits really are designed to fit in those long, thin boxes, and to get them in our North American specific boxes they have to really wedge 'em in there. This can lead to warped bodies, and especially chassis plates.

The Revell USA re-boxes also include re-drawn, bi-fold directions (Revell AG directions are large 8 x 11 sheets like Japanese kits without the fold, and usually an American license plate our two added to the variety if European plates.

They cost more money initially, but they are also released a few months before we get the North American re-box. Also for some kits like the SLS AMG, 2CV Charleston, and London Routemaster bus you either but the AG kit or you go without.

Thanks for the all the feedback, you guys pretty much covered all the models I was looking at. Why do they do all Ferrari's in 1/24th but all new kits from Revell of any other car is done in 1/25th?

Another thing I find interesting, is I have read people complaining forever about Revell and inaccurate tire sidewall height, size, etc, you think over all these years Revell would get it together and make better tires.

Remember, Revell here is Revell of Germany (RoG), thus the 1/24 scale. 1/25 is not a scale used outside the US that I have ever discovered. What you usually see in Europe or Japan that are 1/25 are US produced models.

Revell US will repackage some of the RoG kits for US distribution. Except for reissues, Revell USA is pretty much on the 1/25 bandwagon (I can't recollect any NEW tool kit being 1/24 that wasn't done by RoG).

Edited by Exotics_Builder