Model Cars Magazine Forum

C5 Z06 corvette...First build in a long time!

nate47

This will be my first build in a long time. I'm building this as a replica of my dads 2002 Z. I'm using the Monagram 1:25 Dream Rides car. I'll need to have the 2 year only electron blue paint mixed for me at the local Car Paint store. Its been obsoleted at the dealerships. The car will be a chrismas gift, so I'd like to go a little over the top on the quality of the build. I've been learning a ton here on the board and look foreward to learning more from you guys. I doubt there will be too much custom work on this build other than some work on the hood, but I've got a few other builds in the planning stages that might be a little more entertaining.

I was also wondering if you guys have used Plasti Dip on your kits before? It leaves a really nice finish that I think might be cool for chassis and maybe interior parts?

I used the search function looking for another C5 Z06 build and didn't see any...if you have any tips I'm all ears!

I'll try to attach a couple pictures of the inspiration for this build!

post-10697-0-30200800-1351377502_thumb.jpost-10697-0-52130500-1351377531_thumb.jpost-10697-0-52516500-1351377576_thumb.j

Bryan plasti dip is a product designed to be used to coat tool handles, its a liquid product that you can dip something in and let it hang dry and it turns into a rubber/plastic coating. Over the last few years I have noticed its available in spray can form. I ran accros some youtube videos and realized its huge among the import and tuner crowd, because its available in multiple colors, and you can spray it directly on paint, chrome, steel, plastic, etc. and if you don't like it or want to change a year later you can just peel it back off with no damage to the surface below. These guys are using it to black out their wheels, and spray stripes and graphics cars. I used it on my 1:1 hot rod on a few items and I've been pleased with the results. Its available at most hardware and auto parts stores. I'd think it would make a good masking as well. I'm going to try to use it to black out the edges of my windows in the Z06. Check out the link below.

http://www.usplastic...CFexFMgodggcAIg

Duntov

Love the avatar, I've got my dads C5 at my disposal he only lives about 5 min. away so I've got all the upclose detail looks I need!

Edited by nate47

I've been working nights this week but I did manage to get a little work done when the kids would cooperate! First I seperated all the parts, trimmed and sanded all the flashing. There were some pretty ugly mold lines on the body so I got rid of those. I've got most of the drive train installed. I'm wanting to get to a hobby shop to get some flocking for the carpet, and I need to get some flat red paint for the engine covers. I would really like to prep, paint, and polish this body out very well as my dad prides himself on the condition of his paint so I'll be reading any tech articles I can find. If you have any suggestions please let me know!

I've got to strip the chrome off the wheels, I was thinking oven cleaner?

Anyway thanks for looking!

post-10697-0-12476100-1351890706_thumb.jpost-10697-0-96592700-1351890785_thumb.jpost-10697-0-22807100-1351890851_thumb.jpost-10697-0-76836100-1351890977_thumb.j

WOW...I dropped the wheels in some Castrol Super Clean (I left my purple power at my dads when we resto'd the engine compartment in a 68 Vette last year) right after I read Scuderia's tip. I just went back out there about 10 min ago, and found the wheels perfectly cleaned! Now I've just got to de-burr them and get some wheel argen paint I've got out there on em!

Nate:

Thanks for the reply.... the Avatar is my 66 Big Block coupe.... 48K miles... I have owned since 1998.... 3 rd owner and unrestored in all aspects.... goes like a bat out of hXXX.... Nassau Blue, black leather... all options except A/C..... does not really need it.....

Regards

Bill

I got a little more done over the last few days. The wheel argent looks about the right shade, so I'm gonna clear em this afternoon and try to knock out some more detail on the engine compartment. I was a little dissapointed to see the heater controlls don't match the real car. I can only assume they may have been different on the 02 than the 04, I'm not sure if I'll try to fix it or not. I need to start on my hood soon, thats gonna be a real challenge for me. I'm hoping to get the paint for the body Saturday so I'd like to get the body primed soon too. Hopefully I'll have some updates this evening!

Made a little more progress last night. I still don't have the flocking for the carpet so the interior is just mocked up for the time being. The shifter looks too large but my dad has a Hurst short throw shifter and shift knob in his car so its not that far off. I'm plannin on engraving an H into the top of the shifter. I need to get to the hobby shop and get some flocking, and flat or semi gloss red paint for the engine covers. I'm probably going to start the primer on the body today. Oh and these tires suck! No lettering at all, I'm going to have to look around to see what I can find.

Thanks for looking.

post-10697-0-06438200-1352292546_thumb.jpost-10697-0-24972700-1352292638_thumb.jpost-10697-0-06132100-1352292732_thumb.j

post-10697-0-51981300-1352292803_thumb.j

Thanks for the comments and tips guys...Got some more interior done. Still no flocking but I'm proceeding, I've been realizing after I tint the heck out of the back window you won't be able to see squat in the interior. Still however I'd like to get it done. I painted a 6 speed shift patern on the top of the shifter, and an H on the side as its a Hurst shifter. It came out pretty cool. I got the suspension pretty much wrapped up, about to start the body work, including the hood I went out and snapped some shots of my dads cars for refrence on the hood. It will be a big challenge for a guy who hasn't done something like this in years! I'm going to have to work on the rear exhaust exit the pipes are very crooked. If I cant fix it then I'll be making new tips!

I'll attach some pics of my dads hood and the window tint as refrence! Any tips and tricks are welcome. Thanks again!

post-10697-0-70884100-1352416684_thumb.jpost-10697-0-02832700-1352416737_thumb.j

post-10697-0-23469500-1352416846_thumb.jpost-10697-0-09579600-1352416884_thumb.j

post-10697-0-55104200-1352417077_thumb.jpost-10697-0-49170900-1352417136_thumb.j

Thanks Scuderia...they are already off!

I'm already looking foreward to doing something more my style...Something I can sink my teeth into with some wires and plumbing! But I need to stay focused. I'm really nervous about the body. I've never really put the kind of work into a paint job that you guys do, but I want it to be really nice!