Model Cars Magazine Forum

So why do you or we stash kits?

Kind of a open ended question you've asked. My answer is that I collect and build the kits that I couldn't afford as a kid in the 60's. Once I started working after school jobs in the 70's, I could buy what I wanted when I wanted and not have to wait to finish one kit and then get another one like I had to do when my folks bought them for me. Other people collect kits for other reasons, to build, to collect and not build or collect and then sell for profit.

Most of what I build are large scale kits that are long OOP. I rarely start a 1/12, 1/8, 1/16 scale of any other OOP kit unless I have a duplicate kit on hand. Breaking or losing a critical part (or, a missing part) is a killer unless there is a way to continue. It's stupidly expensive, but once the original kit is done, or if I decide to do another version of the car, the spare gets sold.

Most of what I build are large scale kits that are long OOP. I rarely start a 1/12, 1/8, 1/16 scale of any other OOP kit unless I have a duplicate kit on hand. Breaking or losing a critical part (or, a missing part) is a killer unless there is a way to continue. It's stupidly expensive, but once the original kit is done, or if I decide to do another version of the car, the spare gets sold.

I understand your point. I always feel much more confident trying things on a build if I have a backup kit. This past year I dumped 6 opened kits of the 1950 Ford pickup into a big tub. Since then I've done some interesting work and conversions on that kit. If I destroy a part, oh well! I just dig into the tub and find another.

I understand your point. I always feel much more confident trying things on a build if I have a backup kit. This past year I dumped 6 opened kits of the 1950 Ford pickup into a big tub. Since then I've done some interesting work and conversions on that kit. If I destroy a part, oh well! I just dig into the tub and find another.

Exactly! I have a container full of Revell (1/25) '32 Ford parts.