Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamyia Toyota 86(2012)

Weres? Try where's...

This kit is the same as it's 1:1 twin, the Subaru BRZ, only difference is the decals.

If you want a proper detailed FT-86, with engine & open trunk, then Aoshima has their FT86 coming out mid-September ( next month ) , followed by their BRZ in October. It's a far better kit for the detail "hounds" ;-)

Dan

Why does everyone keep saying the Aoshima kit has an engine...it did not, and does not. They have said repeatedly on their FB page that they could not include an engine at their price point...want proof? Fine...take a gander for yourself.

179926_474872785856626_562055_n.jpg

Weres? Try where's...

This kit is the same as it's 1:1 twin, the Subaru BRZ, only difference is the decals.

If you want a proper detailed FT-86, with engine & open trunk, then Aoshima has their FT86 coming out mid-September ( next month ) , followed by their BRZ in October. It's a far better kit for the detail "hounds" ;-)

Dan

The fascias are different from the BRZ, and the Aoshima one doesn't have an engine.

Wish aoshima would just hold off releasing their beautiful kit until the finish developing the engine. Price be damned, everyone's gonna bitch about it anyway lol.

But for what point, with the bottom cover on (as seen in the Tamiya kit where they mold there's in place in the first photos) you can't even see that it has an engine. So you don't need more than the top part, and it's not exactly a hot must-have engine in the first place. The car is designed to be a perfectly balanced driving experience, not tear up the dragstrip.

I just finished this up... It was just what you would expect from a Tamiya kit. Test fit closely because the fire wall does not seal up the engine bay so you'll want to make sure you black out the inner body shell accordingly. I scrapped the kit wheels for some parts box wheels per request of the person getting the finished car. Also ditched the spoiler which only required sanding the alignment pins off the deck lid. Also subbed in some different seats and brakes. Scratched up a mesh grill, roll cage and dip stick for the engine. All that said the kit will look great built right out of the box.

here's a few pictures

IMG_1219.jpgIMG_1214.jpgIMG_1224.jpg

I just finished this up... It was just what you would expect from a Tamiya kit. Test fit closely because the fire wall does not seal up the engine bay so you'll want to make sure you black out the inner body shell accordingly. I scrapped the kit wheels for some parts box wheels per request of the person getting the finished car. Also ditched the spoiler which only required sanding the alignment pins off the deck lid. Also subbed in some different seats and brakes. Scratched up a mesh grill, roll cage and dip stick for the engine. All that said the kit will look great built right out of the box.

here's a few pictures

IMG_1219.jpgIMG_1214.jpgIMG_1224.jpg

You really need to mow your grass! What a jungle! Seriously though, that looks great, I'm definetly going to have to check this it out!

Aoshima announced today that they will include Scion emblems in their 86 kit!! Another one up to Tamiya.

Saw that yesterday, they just sold me on getting one of the "custom wheel" kits as that further distances itself from the Tamiya offering. Rather than a triumph for Aoshima, I consider it to be a big win for Toyota marketing that forced their hand into including the Scion option in the first two kits rather than a separate offering later.

Saw that yesterday, they just sold me on getting one of the "custom wheel" kits as that further distances itself from the Tamiya offering. Rather than a triumph for Aoshima, I consider it to be a big win for Toyota marketing that forced their hand into including the Scion option in the first two kits rather than a separate offering later.

James, where did you see it announced?, on there Face Book?

I agree, this is a great marketing move.

Edited by martinfan5

Dan, thank you , I think its time to start following them now ;)

They-or some representative from them, always responds to posts. Not always super informative and usually vague, but still much better contact than the US companies on there. How about that!

Only problem is the Aoshima version cost twice as much as the Tamiya Version..

Just saying.....

Hmmm, not ture, I paid $33 US for the I Tamiya kit, and I am paying $29 for the Aoshima one, granted the Aoshima one is the pre order price, its still cheaper .

Right now, at hobby search

Tamyia 86 kits is $40.75

Aoshima 86 kit is $35.66

At hobby link japan

Tamyia 86 kit $40.87

Aoshima 86 kit $ 35.76

I am not seeing how the aoshima kit cost more then the tamyia one

Please note, that these are list price, not the current the reduce prices that both are selling the kits for, but either way, tamyia is still more expensive