Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '67 427 Corvette Convertible

PeeBee

Here's one that was almost off the bench, but I wasn't happy with the way the windshield fit and took it off for modifications.

Color is GM Sunfire Yellow (I believe this was a Corvette-only color) from Scalefinishes. The bumpers that came with the kit were warped, and the only extra set that I was willing to give up for this car had lousy chrome, so they were stripped and given a shot of Alclad. Interior chrome is Alclad, too. Tires are those funky AMT Firestone Wide Ovals, but to me they just looked right on the Corvette.

post-4517-0-18975300-1365031065_thumb.jppost-4517-0-73609500-1365031110_thumb.jppost-4517-0-17731600-1365031131_thumb.jppost-4517-0-29765200-1365031151_thumb.jppost-4517-0-08987300-1365031179_thumb.jppost-4517-0-49507200-1365031192_thumb.jppost-4517-0-85215000-1365031208_thumb.jp

Regards.

Paul B.

Looks great so far Paul, I love the yellow on it too! What did you use for the shielded ignition wires? II used normal wire because I couldn't find anything that look right, you've gotta tell me where you found that stuff!

Paul:

This looks really good... I can attest after living with the real thing(s) for a lot of years you are going in the right direction here... don't stress on the tires....they are always an issue on these cars....the originals were bias ply tires (7.75 X 15) and came as white wall, red line or base black wall and hard to find in "PERFECT" model form....keep moving with this you are doing a great job.... (Zora would like this car a lot!!!!!..... :o)

Regards

Bill (Duntov)

Thanks for the comments, guys. Just a couple more hours to go on this one. i'll post better photos when it's finished and point out a couple of more details about this build that I heven't mentioned.

Custom Mike: The ignition wire is some kind of beading wire I picked up at Michael's. Next time I'm in the "cave" I'll check to see what brand it is. I think I picked up several different gauges because it comes in handy for use as Airquipped (braided) lines.

Duntov (yeah, one of my heroes, too): Thank you for the encouragement. Actually, I'm fine with the way these tires look and fit on the model. Scale-wise, yeah, they're too wide to mock the originals that came on the 1/1 cars, but when it comes to models I ultimately go with what I feel looks "right" on a particular car but still fits within the era. Funny. My oldest friend and I are about to finish a ground-up restoration of a car that his dad started but wasn't able to finish before he died: a 1/1 1967 427 (L-89) coupe, Goodwood Green over green (rare combo) w/white stinger. Off-road suspension and side pipes, and the "turbine" wheels. And, we're still debating about the TIRES!

Thanks again for the input!

Paul B.

Edited by PeeBee

Paul:

This looks really good... I can attest after living with the real thing(s) for a lot of years you are going in the right direction here... don't stress on the tires....they are always an issue on these cars....the originals were bias ply tires (7.75 X 15) and came as white wall, red line or base black wall and hard to find in "PERFECT" model form....keep moving with this you are doing a great job.... (Zora would like this car a lot!!!!!..... :o)

Regards

Bill (Duntov)

It is looking fine. Corvette plug wires are always an issue to me. Do they show or don't they? Many of the reference photos showing the installed engine when viewed from the top you cannot see the wires when the shield is in place. Some pix do show them..

What is the scoop????

thanks,

joe.

It is looking fine. Corvette plug wires are always an issue to me. Do they show or don't they? Many of the reference photos showing the installed engine when viewed from the top you cannot see the wires when the shield is in place. Some pix do show them..

What is the scoop????

thanks,

joe.

Actually it's a simple issue the ones that don't show & have the distributor shield are cars that came with a radio, some of the big block cars that came with a radio, have both the distributor shield, & shielded wires like aircraft do, they are inside a stainless mesh that appears like braided lines, & would be well represented by braided line that would come out to approximately 3/8 inside diameter line, these also have a metal end that goes over the plug end of the wire. The ones that have visible ignition systems, are radio delete cars, & most of them are aimed at competition only.

Actually it's a simple issue the ones that don't show & have the distributor shield are cars that came with a radio, some of the big block cars that came with a radio, have both the distributor shield, & shielded wires like aircraft do, they are inside a stainless mesh that appears like braided lines, & would be well represented by braided line that would come out to approximately 3/8 inside diameter line, these also have a metal end that goes over the plug end of the wire. The ones that have visible ignition systems, are radio delete cars, & most of them are aimed at competition only.

Thank you for the explanation. That makes sense. I have a '58 on the bench now and will soon start the '67 (also in yellow/black) and wanted to do them right.

joe.

Edited by jaydar