Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 914/6 GT

afx

Really sharp and clean widened porsche, I liked!

Thanks Jose. I am really happy with the wheel/tire combination and the rear stance. I want to get the front end lowered 1-2 mm more so that the top of the tire just tucks under the fender lip.

Here's the latest mock-up of the nearly complete under chassis & suspension. Still need to sort out the rear shock absorber mounting and fabricate the transmission support. Headers and megaphones are from HRM's IROC Porsche RSR trans-kit.

DSCN0932.JPG

Edited by afx

Perfect performance here..what color you plan to use here?..orange, green, yellow?

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Thanks Simon. I want to build a Factory team car but I haven't yet decided which one. To the best of my knowledge the Factory car colors were red, orange, green, yellow & white.

• 8 months later...

How big a geek am I? New Years eve and I home modeling. It been quite some time since I posted an update. However I have finished flaring the front air dam. Cut in the front oil cooler opening. Fit the 'boot' lid and engine cover. Lots of fiddling and modifying to get those panels to fit nicely.

DSCN0957.JPGDSCN0958.JPGDSCN0959.JPG

Edited by afx

I started my mechanic career working for a Porsche/Audi dealer in Hewlett, NY back in the late 70's. I went on to stay with them for the next 10 yrs. and remember these cars very well. Although I never had the pleasure of driving or working on a 914/6, servicing the 4 cyl. was challenging enough! That engine cover opening ensured you were laying across the fender with your head in a hole. Throw in doing anything fuel-related (remember the old H O campaign where every fuel hose was replaced?) and headache city! The batteries would over-charge, boiling over, and the corrosion would eat the passenger side suspension pivot point. We'd put them up on a lift and watch the panel lines widen as you lifted it. You would never dare lift one with the doors open…... :blink:BUT…..they were neat cars when they were maintained. A 2.0 w/ Webers, exhaust, and ignition was a FUN car! Too bad not many survived in these parts. It seems these things were built from rust. :(

I love what your doing with this build. Getting all the details right can be maddening, but rewarding. The final shape of the flares look great as do all the structural details are well done. Nice work!!!!

I started my mechanic career working for a Porsche/Audi dealer in Hewlett, NY back in the late 70's. I went on to stay with them for the next 10 yrs. and remember these cars very well. Although I never had the pleasure of driving or working on a 914/6, servicing the 4 cyl. was challenging enough! That engine cover opening ensured you were laying across the fender with your head in a hole. Throw in doing anything fuel-related (remember the old H O campaign where every fuel hose was replaced?) and headache city! The batteries would over-charge, boiling over, and the corrosion would eat the passenger side suspension pivot point. We'd put them up on a lift and watch the panel lines widen as you lifted it. You would never dare lift one with the doors open…... :blink:BUT…..they were neat cars when they were maintained. A 2.0 w/ Webers, exhaust, and ignition was a FUN car! Too bad not many survived in these parts. It seems these things were built from rust. :(

I love what your doing with this build. Getting all the details right can be maddening, but rewarding. The final shape of the flares look great as do all the structural details are well done. Nice work!!!!

Thanks John. Nobody know the car better than the mechanic that works on them. The TV show Wheeler Dealers restored a 4-cylinder and the decided to drop the engine instead of stand on their heads to work on it.

The vent posts that are supplied in the kit are pretty much chrome blobs as you can see in the photo. So I replaced them with some .030 x.040 styrene strip. Big improvement I think.

DSCN0963.JPGDSCN0964.JPGDSCN0966.JPGDSCN0965.JPG

Edited by afx

Cool! I've had that kit since I was 14 and still have it unbuilt and intact. Funny story, I lived in Germany and as an American the Revell kits were quite expensive in the local hobby shops, The equivalent of $10 US while kits were maybe $2.50 at home. I get back to the states, and what is the first kit I buy? The 914 kit that was available in Germany... only I couldn't resist it at a quarter of what I had lusted after it at in Germany.

And of course I haven't built it yet. believe I'm missing the windshield surround. I hope to built it fairly stock someday!