Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mickey Thompson's Challenger One. Still alive, Feb. 8

Ace-Garageguy

Fabulous ! I've been inspired to make a phantom dual engine front blown salt car from seeing this, somewhat shorter.

Good Job!!

Something tells me we're about to see an upsurge in LSRs around here. I too have been inspired to build a competion classic entry.

Edited by Shardik

Thanks Ira, Johann, Ray, Alyn, Chris, Andy, Carl and Mark. You guys' feedback really means a lot. :)

Alyn, I hope the primer looked good on the monitor...and Andy, thanks for the link. I didn't have a shot of the car from exactly that high-front angle, and it's helping me to better locate the fuel-filler access panels, as well as correcting an error I made on the front fender widths.

I was shooting a bike tank, last thing before I move the compressor to the new location, and had some extra 2K Acme urethane primer in the gun. It's kinda cheating, 'cause this stuff is almost like spray-bondo, quite self-leveling, and really easy to sand. Shot from a conventional big-car gravity-feed HVLP primer gun.

DSCN1065_zps3bcfe761.jpg

DSCN1066_zpse891e3ea.jpg

DSCN1070_zps02886ceb.jpg

The big blob on the center panel is where a persistent air bubble in the epoxy / micro-balloon filler kept reappearing. I buried the little bugger. And sorry about the blurry pix. Hand-held shots in available light, slow shutter.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Thanks again for everyone's interest and comments.

... What realy amazes me is the fit of the panels after all this work...

That was the reason for jigging everything together early on...to keep it all lined up as the surfaces got developed. There ARE some imperfections at the panel junctures that I will need to deal with shortly, and before the jigs are broken out, I've got to make pins and pockets to line everything up on reassembly.

...I never realized how many differences there were between the different versions of this car...

I didn't realize just how many differences there were either...and since I put up the primer pix, I've noticed something I got wrong, and something I missed entirely. Not too hard to correct though...

Sanded with 180 to refine the shapes further, and re-shot with Duplicolor high-build gray.

DSCN1118_zps7713fa9a.jpg

DSCN1122_zpsf4d20dbc.jpg

[DSCN1137_zpsf2b350e7.jpg

DSCN1132_zpsfe761b81.jpg

The subtlety of the curves on this thing have made it much more difficult to get an accurate representation of the car than I'd originally anticipated. I started to sling filler without any real in-depth scaling, drawings, measuring or templates, and I just wasn't hitting the look, although a lot of folks thought it looked good...which I certainly appreciate. Still, being the anal-retentive jerk that I am about getting the 'feel' of the original, I'm glad I took the time and made the effort to carefully analyze the body shape. Though there are still some fairly large inaccuracies (that I WILL correct), I'm pretty happy with the overall effect at this point.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Everytime I see this I wish there were a way you could get this cast, or even vac-formed...

Thanks again for your interest and kind words, Mike. I will be pulling molds from the skins, and making almost-scale thickness panels in very fine fiberglass. I've shown the technique on a couple of other builds. This is a tracknose I did for a chopped '34 lakes car, and the second shot is the backside, showing the thickness (about .030") and the weave of the glass.

DSCN3432.jpg

DSCN3439.jpg

This technique yields parts that are MUCH stronger than resin of a similar thickness, and that actually fit together and hold their shape. There's a little more info over on the '34 build thread...http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=66744

I've found some finer-weave glass since that early experimental part, and I use a very high-strength epoxy resin made for 1:1 aircraft structures.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Simply wicked!

Thank you! Like I've said earlier, I think this is one of the best looking streamliners ever built, and I'm really trying to get it as close to right as humanly possible (considering the real one no longer exists...the first gen body).

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I'm on a forum for casting and there seems to be a lot of guys who do their own thing with railroad modeling. At least one person does his rail cars in Gelcoat instead of the usual polyester resin that we are familiar with.

If you do this body I'm in for several copies please!!!