Model Cars Magazine Forum

Seatbelt material

I was at the hobby shop today and almost bought some premade seatbelts. I have PE buckles and what not that I use all the time. I generally cut strips of masking tape for the belt itself, cause I can paint it and it sticks itself on. It doesnt look all that realistic though. Is there something that I might find around the house or cheap in bulk that would be more realistic?

I was at the hobby shop today and almost bought some premade seatbelts. I have PE buckles and what not that I use all the time. I generally cut strips of masking tape for the belt itself, cause I can paint it and it sticks itself on. It doesnt look all that realistic though. Is there something that I might find around the house or cheap in bulk that would be more realistic?

I haven't made seat belts for any of my builds yet, so I can offer no personal points of experience. But, from what I've read on this forum, masking tape is one of the two most commonly used materials for making seat belts. The other is cloth medical tape.

I'm sure others will be able to post more detailed information or even a link to a tutorial.

Hope that helps for now.

Try this link http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31030&st=260

I use 1/16" craft ribbon, comes in a boatload of colors, and can be painted as well. The aftermarket seels it as seat belt material, and charges a arm and leg for it. Much cheaper to buy it at a craft store, or the craft section at wally world.

the best thing I found for seat belt material is medical tape made by Johnson & Johnson it has the same threaded nylon look as a real belt and the best thing about it is its cheap and can be colored with Sharpie markers. check out my seatbelt tutorial here at this link. be sure to scroll down a bit http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31030&st=260 I hope this helps you. Romell :rolleyes:

the best thing I found for seat belt material is medical tape made by Johnson & Johnson it has the same threaded nylon look as a real belt and the best thing about it is its cheap and can be colored with Sharpie markers. check out my seatbelt tutorial here at this link. be sure to scroll down a bit http://www.modelcars...ic=31030&st=260 I hope this helps you. Romell :D

Yup, think that'll do the job, thank you. I keep alot of medical tape around...Im a little but of a clutz.

Yup, think that'll do the job, thank you. I keep alot of medical tape around...Im a little but of a clutz.

I use I.V. tape or medical tape you can get at Walgreens, and you already have some. Here are the belts in my Cunningham.

It looks almost real and this is magnified several times with my camera. It's hard to see the texture with the naked eye. That's a towel it's sitting on.

David

P1061414.jpg

• 2 years later...

I use 1/16" craft ribbon, comes in a boatload of colors, and can be painted as well. The aftermarket seels it as seat belt material, and charges a arm and leg for it. Much cheaper to buy it at a craft store, or the craft section at wally world.

Look at a fabric store (or Michael's or Hobby Lobby) for the type of ribbon known as "grosgrain" (pronounced "grow-grain"), which is a slightly coarse but tight weave, and in miniature, can be very convincing for racing seat belts. Grosgrain ribbon, due to its weave pattern, is also quite flexible, so it can be made to lay down pretty tightly, with a bit of contact glue on the back side.

Another source for this type of weave is Dermicil Surgical tape (the stuff used in hospitals, and Dr's offices. Some professional pharmacies sell this stuff, but I've not seen it in Walgreen's or CVS for a long time.

Art

Dermicil Surgical Tape.....good thing I have friends that work in hospitals. I'll see if someone can grab me a roll if the price is within reason. We also have a small hospital pharmacy here in town.

Looks like I know what a little bit of next paycheck is going towards.

Charlie Larkin

• 7 years later...

I did a tutorial on this sight just recently, part of which shows what I use for seatbelt material and also how to make your own buckles. It’s titled ‘Chrome vinyl details from scratch’ in case you’d like to check it out.