Model Cars Magazine Forum

Offy T Roadster Back On the Bench!

jbwelda

well its been a while but this time its on the bench to finish, in time for NNL West. Still some fiddly bits to get done, complete the interior, hook up front brake lines and of course the front wheels and buick finned brake drums. photos here really dont do it justice because they dont capture the nose low stance that i am aiming for, but with the front wheels on it really looks cool!

goodchassisshotxi6.jpg

w640.png

goodleftfrontcb6.jpg

w640.png

goodrightfronthe8.jpg

w640.png

goodrightrearku6.jpg

w640.png

ok big size images now! problem was: rtfm...

couple of notes: the chrome brake handle (the only brake activator on the car...thats gonna be a wild ride!) is only there for position, i need to cut it down, probably replace the handle with alum tubing and do some detailing; the upper radiator hose (anyone else also have nightmares trying to hook up realistic looking radiator hoses? its the bane of my model "career" as it were) is only in place for fitting, need to do some final mods on it and paint and clamp it, and the steering gear and instrument panel need to go in place along with a proper seat support...

i will add a couple more photos in a minute assuming my connection stays fairly speedy...

heres one of assorted components more or less ready to install:

itemsvi2.jpg

w640.png

thanks again for looking and the kind comments.

Edited by jbwelda

I remember this from last year. Glad to see it's back. I'd love to see it in larger pictures, though, so I can appreciate the tasty detail I recall this had.

I saw this one at Milt's NNL; I was surprised that it's 1:24th scale after seeing the detailed pics and knowing that Bill was also building a 1:8th scale hotrod!

thanks folks, mike i wasnt at the meeting the other night due to other obligations, i would never skip it just to work on a model!

B)

hey raul yeah i finished up that big tub last year, now im thinking about the next big scale car (to take me the next 5 years at the rate im going!)

bigger pix now!!!

Edited by jbwelda

Guest Davkin

Wow! Even more impressive with the big pics! I'm guessing there was another thread on this project, care to point me to it? I suspect most of my questions would be answered by reading that thread.

Nevermind, I looked up your past threads. Amazing what can happen when you use the forum tools! You've been working on this thing a long, long time! The end result will obviously be worth it though.

David

Edited by Davkin

thanks david, yeah its been around for a long while, but not much real work on it. it started out to be like a 3 week build around the etzel offy motor, and i had the all american models T body and nose lying around. but one thing turned into another and you probably know how that goes!

Guest Davkin
it started out to be like a 3 week build......but one thing turned into another and you probably know how that goes!

I sure do, sounds like every model I've ever built!

David

>Where did you get the engine?

etzel speed classics, resin offy motor. unfortunately it no longer appears to be in production nor does the company exist anymore. might look on ebay but ive been trying to score another one for a year now and have not seen one come up.

there is an earlier buildup thread here on the workbench from some time back...maybe search for the string "offy" and you will find it.

thanks for looking and thanks for the comments again folks!

Did I miss the WIP pictures somehow???

It wouldn’t be hard to do since this one goes back to ’06! Here are the links to Parts 1 & 2 of the build (this is Part 3). You’re gonna love it!

Part One of Three (From March 29, 2006):

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.p...231&hl=Offy

And Part Deux of Trois (From February 20, 2008):

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.p...094&hl=Offy

thanks for posting those links to prior threads, it was nice to see those myself.

it does remind me how little its come along in a lot of years. seriously, it was supposed to be literally a 2 week, quick ratrod sort of build.

:P