Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where Does a Diorama Begin?

Casey

Let's say you have a '69 Camaro built/finished...then you place it on some type of base with a crushed rock type surface. Is that considered a diorama? Or just a display base?

Now add in a figure, either behind the wheel in the driver's seat, or standing next to the car. Does that make it a diorama, or still just a car with a base and a figure?

Just thinking aloud here.

I think the "definition" of a diorama is a model that is telling or suggesting a story or an event in time ... Now if it was a 69' camaro with the base and a figure looking under the car or hood and the engine was blown out of the bottom of it ... That would be a diorama ...

That is only my opinion ... So don't just go by that ... Others may disagree

Steve B.

Edited by scbaker

Now add in a figure, either behind the wheel in the driver's seat, or standing next to the car. Does that make it a diorama, or still just a car with a base and a figure?

Does it tell a story? If it does , then yes, I think it falls into the catagory of a diorama. If it doesn't, then no, it's just a model on a base with a figure. Just my narrow-minded, pin-headed opinion.

What an interesting question!

Although I tend to agree with both replies.... I'm sure there are instances where a stand alone vehicle on an "asphalt" road surfaced base, or just placed inside a garage backdrop could be considered a diarama. Does it depend upon what the viewer reads into it? (Which I guess means the viewer creates his own "story"?)....... hmmmm!

Tony

I agree with Junior. A model with a weathered paint job sitting on a turf covered base is just that. If it does't tell a story or even suggest a story it is not a diorama. In most cases I think that figure(s) are required to project that story to the viewer. I usually try to create the story line to fit a particular maodel that I have built. Sometimes the model is built to fill out the story line. Thats my take on dioramas

Carl

I go with the 'snap-shot' of a moment in time, more interesting if it 'tells a story' but it does not have to. It is sort of like looking at a painting, the viewer brings something to the equation.

Edited by DanielG

I dont think it needs figures to be a diorama, I've discussed this heaps of times with other mates that model and even judges at various shows because the definition seems to vary a lot from builder to builder and show to show. I classify my model "Out to Pasture" as a diorama and it doesn't have any figures in it, but it has to much extra detail to be classified as just a base.

A car on a plain base isnt a diorama but a base that enhances the model and tells a story is, same as you guys this is only my opinion and the rough guidelines I work off for my show.

Here's the definition according to www.thefreedictionary.com/diarama

Still confused?

di·o·ram·a (dimacr.giflprime.gifschwa.gif-rabreve.gifmprime.gifschwa.gif, -räprime.gifmschwa.gif)

n.

1. A three-dimensional miniature or life-size scene in which figures, stuffed wildlife, or other objects are arranged in a naturalistic setting against a painted background.

2. A scene reproduced on cloth transparencies with various lights shining through the cloths to produce changes in effect, intended for viewing at a distance through an aperture.

[French, blend of dia-, through (from Greek; see dia-) and panorama, panorama (from English; see panorama).]

dilprime.gifo·ramprime.gific (-rhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/abreve.gifmhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ibreve.gifk) adj.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. diorama [ˌdaɪəˈrɑːmə]

n

1. (Fine Arts & Visual Arts / Art Terms) a miniature three-dimensional scene, in which models of figures are seen against a background

2. (Fine Arts & Visual Arts / Art Terms) a picture made up of illuminated translucent curtains, viewed through an aperture

3. (Fine Arts & Visual Arts / Art Terms) a museum display, as of an animal, of a specimen in its natural setting

4. (Performing Arts) Films a scene produced by the rearrangement of lighting effects

[from French, from Greek dia- through + Greek horama view, from horan to see]

dioramic [ˌdaɪəˈræmɪk] adj

Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

diorama

1. a miniature, three-dimensional scene, often depicting a historical event.

2. an apparatus designed for giving extra realism to paintings by transmitting light through them in various colors and intensities at different times.

Hmmmmmm.......!!