Model Cars Magazine Forum

Police Car Question

I'd rather have the PCP'd crazy guy in back, behind the shield, and handcuffed instead of sitting right next to me.

If the guy does that much damage in the back, why on earth would I prefer him to be in front right next to me??? :blink:

I don't think they had PCP in '57. Drunks were probably the most common 'druggies' back then, and having a drunken Barney sitting right next to you as you cart him off to the pokey would be sort fo fun, and surely liven up your shift a little bit. And if he got out of line, he's RIGHT THERE, well within stun gun range.

Wait. They didn't have stun guns back then, did they...

Actually, Many departments still used 2dr cruisers till the 70's.

I have pic's o0f Georgia Javelin's, & Nebraska Chevy's.

Kansas had a 66/67 Belvedere 2dr

Also, CHP has used Camaro's & Mustangs since 79.

I have 4 Good bboks full of pictures;

Monty McCord's "Police Cars-A Photographic History" & "Cars of the State Police & Highway Patrol"

Dodge, Plymouth, & Chrysler Police cars 1979-1994,

and "Police Cars-A Graphic History" by Bruce Cameron from Law & Order mag..

I want several of this kit. Maryland used them!!

Edited by Edsel-Dan

I don't think they had PCP in '57. Drunks were probably the most common 'druggies' back then, and having a drunken Barney sitting right next to you as you cart him off to the pokey would be sort fo fun, and surely liven up your shift a little bit. And if he got out of line, he's RIGHT THERE, well within stun gun range.

I bet Barney Fife never had this sort of trouble in Mayberry...

Otis may have been a drunk... but he was also a nice guy! :lol:

I doubt all drunks were as nice he was, and not forgetting the fact that he was playing a character :D ,

I'd rather have the PCP'd crazy guy in back, behind the shield, and handcuffed instead of sitting right next to me.

If the guy does that much damage in the back, why on earth would I prefer him to be in front right next to me??? :blink:

That was my point. Back seat & cage? Way preferable to front seat.

But some agencies just don't spend the money on the cage (divider shield) and without it, no way a prisoner I mean 'guest' goes in the back seat.

B)

We had an Otis-type drunk ... multiple DUIs.

He was a big guy and he gave some of the other officers a bad time, but he liked me and was always "happy" it was me arresting him ... or at least that's what he always said. He once offered to buy me a drink if I'd stop at a bar on the way to jail.

I picked him up another time with a .359 BA (anybody else would have been clinically dead, but he had amazing tolerance; I think he blew a .150 when he was sober!). He was in the back seat of a big-azz Ford they bought off the lot (no police package) that we had to use as a real police car. Curvy road to the jail. That Ford was waggin' its booty all over the road. My "guest" offered to drive ... said he couldn't do much worse! I laughed all the way to the hoosegow.

That arrest resulted in his 9th DUI conviction ... which happened to be the first DUI conviction in Colorado after they enacted a "habitual DUI" statute ... he was the first person in Colorado history to be sentenced to state prison for a driving/traffic violation.

Most drunk driver arrestees were not that jovial.

B)

We had a local sheriffs deputy that found out the hard way about not having the divider cage in the patrol car. He mainly did prisoner transport, as he was more or less semi-retired from active duty. He had a prisoner get his arms worked free from the cuffs, after which he was able to not only force the car off the road, but got possesion of the deputy's service pistol. Unfortunatly, this did end in the deputy being fatally wounded. The suspect was caught not too long after. The bad part is that it could have been avoided, as the deputy was the one that made the choice to use a car without a cage. All Vermilion County police cars, including the Danville and surrounding cities, have cages in them, whether the officer using them wants them or not.

I picked him up another time with a .359 BA (anybody else would have been clinically dead, but he had amazing tolerance; I think he blew a .150 when he was sober!).

That's a true alcoholic. Someone who needs to maintain a level in his body just to function. Sad.

I had a friend that moved to Florida when we were maybe 20. I hadn't seen him in 15 years when he came back to NJ to visit. We decided to get together with another local friend at his house to catch up. I picked him up and we stopped by a liquor store to get refreshments. I bought a six pack and he bought a fifth of Jack Daniels. I didn't think anything was wrong. We got to our friends house and he proceeded to drink the entire bottle, filling up a 16 ounce glass and drinking it like I'd drink water. His character went bad and he got angry and argumentive. Fortunate for us, once he finished the bottle and searched the whole house for more liquor (without success!) he fell asleep. I had never seen anything like that before. He died in his 40s.

Edited by Tom Geiger