Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Fury Station Wagon

jsc

Chrysler had strange ideas when it came to painting engines. There is a reference to some slant sixes possibly being turqoise in 67 and 68, but no one can confirm if they were. When in doubt pick the color you like, the factory did.

After workin 32 years in an autoplant, I can tell ya that a factory manual tells ya how the factory WANTED it done. If you ran out of red paint an you only had blue, it got painted BLUE cause in base line assembly, you DO NOT stop the line! NOPE. Forman just signs off that he ran outta red paint an switched to blue till he recieved MORE red paint. An stuff like THAT is NOT recorded in factory service manuals. Trust me.

Then add-in the different 383's :

- 1968-1971 383 two-barrel = Turquoise-Blue

- 1968-1971* 383 four-barrel (325 & 330 hp) = Turquoise-Blue

- 1969-1971* 383 ( 335 hp ) Road Runner Engine** & Magnum** = Chrysler Engine Orange

* = By 1971 , the last year for the 383 , all HP versions were rated at 300 hp (compression drop and revised heads) , and all were Orange (again , some exceptions ; mostly in "C"-bodies).

** = R.R.'s and Super Bees with A/C had Turquoise-Blue 383's , as the 335 hp's cam profile was too radical to accomodate the A/C's vacuum requirements , and Chrysler was concerned that overrevving of the 383 would grenade the ol' York RV-2 compressor !

As George53 mentioned : not every engine was painted "correctly" from the factory ; and no where else is this as apparent as the 1969 340 ! They were *supposed* to be Chrysler Turquoise-Blue ; however , some early 340's were Chrysler Red (as were all 1968 340's) , most were Turquoise-Blue , and some late-year 340's were Chrysler Orange (as were all 1970-1971 340's).

And , the blue was changed to a "generic" shade for 1972 : it's colloquially known as "1972 Blue" .

Edited by 1972coronet

Don't forget the "mystery corporate blue" 340 A/C 4-speeds in 1969. Chrysler engine plants painted the engines, and certain plants had certain colors. Black is the only color that all of the engine plants had. I am all to familiar with the concept of keeping the line going, working for Deere and Company, but Chrysler kept their stock of "raw" at 56 days back then not the 2-7 days most do now.

After workin 32 years in an autoplant, I can tell ya that a factory manual tells ya how the factory WANTED it done. If you ran out of red paint an you only had blue, it got painted BLUE cause in base line assembly, you DO NOT stop the line! NOPE. Forman just signs off that he ran outta red paint an switched to blue till he recieved MORE red paint. An stuff like THAT is NOT recorded in factory service manuals. Trust me.

Anybody that has ever worked in similar production can verify this, and that it doesn't just happen with automobiles.

• 2 weeks later...

March Update:

I've been fighting the fit of this resin kit for a while. I got a new hood, and now it seems I need new front glass. But I wanted to give you a few updated shots. Got the roof rack built. Found some incredible wheels in the parts box that are perfect! One day it will be under glass....

post-10106-0-43240500-1363351146_thumb.j

post-10106-0-38137600-1363351180_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

Quick Update

The wagon project really stalled when I had problems with the fit of the "glass". So I bit the bullet and used the front windshield from the kit. I also redid the roof rack and wired the battery. And, like so many of us, started working on other projects

post-10106-0-53881800-1365760859_thumb.j

post-10106-0-61189000-1365760826_thumb.j

As for the original kit, I think I've found a solution on what to do with the roof that I cut apart. While looking through the forum I noticed a sweet '67 GTX that had the same roofline as a 2 door fury. So why not cut and swap?

post-10106-0-85521400-1365760889_thumb.jpost-10106-0-88962700-1365760760_thumb.jpost-10106-0-88225700-1365760791_thumb.j

Charlies right. Other than subject matter, the two are light years aparts. R&R's products can't compare to Motor City Resins castings, which are pretty much state of the art as far as casting goes. Your station wagons comming out nice considering what you started with. Oh, an just in case you weren't aware of it, Steve Kohler runs Star Models, he DOESN'T cast. AND he's a really good guy!

• 4 weeks later...

After months of Modelers' Block, I was finally able to cut and fit the glass, and get the chassis attached.

Here's a mock up. I hope to get this buttoned up this weekend.

post-10106-0-69381000-1368276505_thumb.j

It's sitting a bit high, but I've tried everything I knew of to get it tighter.

Comments welcome!