Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Revellution F/C

Hi guys, I am concidering turning this kit into a Pro Mod. I have never built a kit this large and because of my handicap it might be a good size for me. Tell me what you think. I can open the hood and trunk and after seeing all the great stuff in this forum I bet I could get some help on where to get parts, etc. Thanks guys and talk to me.

Hi Paul, mate, yes...as Dave mentioned, there IS going to be a LOT of work ahead of you converting a F/car body.

Speaking from recent experience, it can be (and IS) very, very daunting, plus a huge challenge..The results are very gratifying though. :)

And you end up with quite a unique model which no-one else has. :D

The other side of the coin is to opt for a body which has been already converted for you. There IS still plenty of fabrication work to be done on them.

Aside from scratching together a chassis, you can open doors, cut the front off to make "removable".....plus loads more.

Have a look here, Terry has some really kool stuff available in 1/16 scale.

Look forward to seeing what you decide on mate, and some progress of course. :lol:

i didn't realize we insinuated you should stop planning a 1/16th build paul. my apologies. i guess we all missed the boat by not asking what skill level do you consider yourself to be at and how much money are you willing to invest (these are questions to ask yourself not to answer here on the forum!!!)? the things that you should consider about a 1/16 pro mod build are:

1) you will need to hand fabricate an entire chassis (the funny car kit chassis is not even close)

2) most all of the suspension parts will need to be hand fabricated. you will need rear shocks, a complete 4 link rear suspension, front struts, lower control arms, rack and pinion steering unit, steering column and parts. front and rear brakes. plus more.

3) you could use some of the motor from the kit. the blower would need to be modified to a 14-71 or replaced with a screwblower. you'll need to make all of the support stuff for the motor (i.e fuel, ignition, monitoring systems).

4) i don't believe the trans has enough sections / gears ( i'm not aware of a pro mod team using a clutch with a 2 spd.)

5) i'm not sure if you can use the rear (what's in the kit?).

6) the kit body will require major surgery to make it even close. the wheel base is wrong. the front wheel openings are way to far forward the rear wheel openings are in the wrong place . the hood and front fenders are wrong. etc, etc, etc,

7) the kit front tires and wheels will work. the rear tires i believe would be to small. you might be able to use the rear wheels.

i could keep going but, i think i'm making my point. you need to have a lot of scratch building abilities and even more than that. a lot of patience. these builds take a VERY long time to accomplish. look at the start dates on any of these extreme pro mod builds and you will see what i mean.

i don't know what your economic means are (nor am i asking). there is some expense to this, that is for sure. how much work and how much money you are willing to invest in this project are questions you need to honestly ask yourself. building in large scale is an absolute hoot!!!! i wouldn't trade it for anything. the detail one can achieve is only left up to your abilities. if it's for you, then by all means go for it. i only suggest you take a look at what's needed and make a rational decision if it's for you.

Edited by comp1839

Hi Dave, I didn't take it in a bad way I just figured you guys know what you are talking about so I will listen. Looking at some of the prices for parts I can see where it can get expensive. I will stick to the 24th and 25th scale for now. I am dealing with MS and a few other ailments so I spend time drulling at all you guys work, lol. But I really do thank you for all your help. I will keep looking on here at all the great models being built and go back to my 55 Chevy build.

Later

Hey Paul,

Just take your time with things. Yes, the bigger scales can quite easily consume larger quantities of cash, but you soon see the value in them when done. B)

Also, working with a disability or related ailment can't be too easy. :blink: I do feel for you mate. I have heard it said that building models can be therapeutic....though I'm yet to see that. :o

A lot of what you see getting done in large scale, can be transferred to small scale..I only stepped up 'cause my eyes are beginning to let me down. B)

And the 1/24-25 scale offers a lot more scope and range of parts too. Chassis' can be adapted from a Sportsman kit to suit pretty much what ever you choose.

Look forward to seeing what you decide on Paul. :lol:

Oh, and don't worry about drooling over this site.....I do it every visit myself. ;) Just watch out for your keyboard. :lol:

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your words. I have had the model since the 90's but I will figure out what to do with it. I strted getting really sick about 2001 and of course the illness has progressed. I have well over 200 kits and I just don't want to give up as it is so easy to do at times. I'm just glad that I met this group and all the wonderful people.

hey paul, don't put that 1/16 kit away just yet. here's a silly idea..........why not just build the funny car kit........ as a funny car. i see quite a few of these kits and to be honest they look awesome. i'm willing to bet you could spend a vast amount of time on one of these correcting the kit errors, detail the heck out of it and end up with an incredible build. plus doing these kinds of up grades will get your scratch building technics honed. you could build it as the Revellution car or do your own version. and with the nostalgia funny car class that exists now, you have your choice of adding a "new" flavor to the car. the skies the limit.

Like Dave said build the funny car kit, you can do a lot of thing with it, some Braided Lines, Hex Fittings, i can show you how to make them out of some Alum. Tubes. Some wire out of old radio or VCRs and maybe some nuts and bolts from SCALE HARDWARD.

And on this site checkout Chris ( MOONEYZS ) on Drag Racing Models, 1/16 scale Army Vega Funny Car. Some great ideal and a super cool build.

Hope this help. AND HOPE YOU GET BETTER SOON. Have fun building.

have you decided on a plan of attack? in other words have you decided what exactly you want to build? i see you mentioned a vega f/c. if you're thinking of a new nostalgia f/c peter gallen's poverty stricken is an awesome car. i'll post a picture of the car later for you.

petergallen.jpg

Edited by comp1839

Iv'e got the Duster body, Revellution. Do you have any modern updates on that car. I was looking at the Vega Army F/C on here and there should be plenty of detail that I can do with my F/C kit. I'm going to give it a try and any photo's or ref. material will help. Do you think that I should strip the chrome?