Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finished my Edsel

FASTBACK340

I'm please to submit my humble offerings for the section we all hope to post in. I finally finished the Edsel. AMT pre-painted kit with wheels/tires and disc brakes from the Copperhead concept car. I modified the suspension and added some minimal detailing under the hood. I also applied bare metal over the kit silver tampo printed details..

Here she is.....
EdselFinished021-vi.jpg
EdselFinished019-vi.jpg
EdselFinished018-vi.jpg
EdselFinished017-vi.jpg

This is my fist build in many years. Now I clean up the bench and do one a bit more involved. Thanks for looking.

Thanks for the compliments. This was a fun build. A dozen years ago I was very involved in the hobby and built a lot. I'd love to try and get my skills back and this was the jump start. I might do a quick slammer next.

Now to get the spray booth up & running....,

Those pre painted AMT kits are kind of a lottery. You can get one with a perfect paint, and can as well get one with some odd defects. I have three of them, one built stock, one still sealed in the box, and the other I converted into a early 1960's custom repainting the body with Tamiya Mica red.

Your models looks sharp, and very well put together. I would just swap the valve covers.

Not that the ones you used are not cool, by the contrary, they are very cool, but they are Windsor valve covers, for Small Block Fords, and the Edsel Pacer's engine, the E-400 is a FE block. The AMT Edsel has some problems, and among them, a engine that is way too small, so the valve covers from a 302 can fit it, but are not correct for it. I would use some BMF, or Alclad II to "chrome" the valve covers from the kit.

Interesting, we're back to valve cover issues!

There's many sins in this build. I used some bits-n-pieces from an old destroyed Revell '32 Ford, Including the plug wires, distributor, & valve covers. There's no lower radiator hose or rear shocks either. Thanks for the heads-up (no pun intended...) on the valve covers, but they are most definitely staying. Think I like that antenna on the fender?!? That's staying too!

Like I said before, I bet we all make mistakes. My fault for not researching, but in all honesty I did shovel this together. The next one will be better.

Thank you for explaining the differences.