Model Cars Magazine Forum

2010 Chrysler 300C Hearse - Update 7.30.14

Tumbler75

The big question in my mind... does a hearse actually have a divider window? It's not like a taxi, the rider isn't going to attack the driver from behind! Or maybe..

Yea, but the smell of the formaldehyde.. essh. Smells really bad.. It keeps some of the smell in there and not in the drivers compartment...

The big question in my mind... does a hearse actually have a divider window? It's not like a taxi, the rider isn't going to attack the driver from behind! Or maybe..

Yes. At least every one I've driven has. It's as much a cargo wall as anything. A loaded casket can weigh as much as 600 lbs and though there are casket stops at the front and rear keeping it in place, there's nothing holding it down. In a collision a casket could possibly jump the front stop and fly forward- the divider wall is designed to prevent it from killing the front seat occupants.

David G.

Thanx everyone for the comments and compliments!

Well I had a bit of a hiccup with hinging the rear door, it seems its either open or close but no swing. I tried multiple location points and many different hinges and nothing works. Oh well, I'm going to display it open anyways as the interior is coming along smashingly!

I made the Rollers with Half Round glued to .010 Styrene Sheet and then I used .040 styrene strips to make the coffin stop/slide rails. I'll later foil these for some shiny bits in the rear end. LoL I drilled holes in it for multiple location points. I hand crafted and sculpted the rear coffin stop from scrap styrene. I doubt I'm making a front one as this one took me 2.5 hours of widdling and fiddling. Hands are tired. LoL Enjoy!

20140726_134416_zps9wyxklbh.jpg

20140726_134438_zps2p2adnuf.jpg

20140726_134443_zpse8hbkkrk.jpg

20140726_134655_zpsl1l7we67.jpg

20140726_134714_zpsjdwjiixf.jpg

20140726_134803_zps1yw6oghn.jpg

What you see on the divider that looks cushiony .... Well, that's the "crash pad" and I just need to put the trim on in between the two sides. I also made the window larger on the divider. Not sure if I'm going to put glass in it yet or not. We'll see!

Enjoy!!

The lower roof version looks more like the real deal..The hightop looked like it was built for a handicapped person who would sit in a wheelchair in the back..Looked also like it would topple over on a sharp curve..You've got the real look now..Finish her up in a nice silver steel(kind of dark silver bluish color from 2006) with a black roof..Very professional looking..Your doing a great job and looking forward to seeing it finished...

Thanx everyone! I'm chugglin' along with this one! LoL

Since I am having issues with the rear door hinges. I'm just going to leave the door open to display all the hard work on the interior. And since I have a lot of empty space what is the best way to fill it up. Make a casket/coffin!

I got the dimensions online off Google and used a scale calculator to shrink things to size. Then I got some .060 sheet and .040 solid rod, cut everything to length, then glued everything up and left it over night to dry nice and tight. Then I started shaping things to form the casket.

20140727_111843_zps45g97pq7.jpg

20140727_111630_zpsq3ds2xex.jpg

20140727_111634_zpsxvekdoph.jpg

Oh, yeah! I made it where the lid is hinged and can open.

20140727_111758_zpsdnek4bpk.jpg

Using the decorative coffin brake near the door and made a new one for the front.

20140727_111818_zpsfrzziguk.jpg

20140727_111826_zps0qsi6it2.jpg

Continued ..................

Good work on the casket and the deck.

One suggestion if I may. There seems to be too much roller sticking out of the tops of the roller guides. There will usually be a little less than half of the roller above the deck. If you like, I can snap some photos of the deck in my new Lincoln Hearse for reference.

David G.

Good work on the casket and the deck.

One suggestion if I may. There seems to be too much roller sticking out of the tops of the roller guides. There will usually be a little less than half of the roller above the deck. If you like, I can snap some photos of the deck in my new Lincoln Hearse for reference.

David G.

David, I'm aware of the roller situation. When I first did them I was planning on putting something on the floor, but seeing how close the floor is being level with the rear bumper I don't want to cut up and ruin another floor. Plus the "Casket Stop Rails" are too thick, but the rollers are level with them. I can easily fudge and say the crank handle has raised them for easier casket removal. LoL

This build is very impressive! Is it going to be a empty coffin or...?

I'm still not sure. I do plan on putting some material inside the casket to make it appropriate. I'm still working ideas in my head. LoL

Well, thanx to everyone who has commented on this build. I'm getting ever so close to the painting stage and then it'll be on to assembly. Color choice has been narrowed down to two colors: Steel Blue Metallic or Silver Pearl Clearcoat. Either way it'll have a black vinyl top and possibly a tu-tone custom blue interior. Since having hinge issues with the back door it'll be displayed with the rear door open. So here's some mock up shots of how it'll pretty look once completed. As you can see the casket is pretty much done and ready to be primed and painted. Small details on the body need to be done and it too will be ready.

20140729_121136_zpspvicwkw1.jpg

20140729_121213_zpshrnlvcbm.jpg

I was goofing around with some wheels that I've had in my stash from extra sets some kits came with. I think all and all I'm going to stick with the stock 300C rims even tho they look tiny.

Stock:

20140729_121154_zpsrxk8m4zo.jpg

Memphis Blues Edition:

20140728_210408_zpst1o5fcx9.jpg

River City Jazz Edition:

20140728_215548_zpstosjkalb.jpg

Enjoy!

I just Googled Chrysler 300 hearse images and found a boatload. Funny since I've never seen one in person! The stock wheels in your first photo would be appropriate. I saw those on a few of the images of 1:1s.

An aside is that this seems to be a popular hearse abroad. Many of the photos had Euro type plates on the cars. We see Fiat selling their 500s here, but the part of the ownership we don't see is that they are selling a mess of Chryslers back in Europe! Some of them rebadged as Lancias too!

• 1 month later...