Model Cars Magazine Forum

1958 Plymouth - - W I P

Ramfins59

Thanks a lot Grant. The foil really helps the plain white sparkle. After looking at these pictures I touched up the side trim insert on the right front fender. When I trimmed the BMF I didn't notice at the time that I pulled up the clearcoat and the aluminum paint underneath it... my new XActo blade must have cut through the clearcoat.

The front and rear glass went in today and I touched up the interior flocking along with doing some more detailing on the engine compartment pieces. This is going to look pretty cool when finished.

Thanks for looking in on it.

I have 2 of this kit 1 standard issue & 1 W-M Value Decorated,(Won't say Pro-Shop on those Wally's only issues)

and untill reading the reports here about the body I did not know it was so bad.

Yes the Pre-painted one is white over red!! Oh well.

Maybe I can fake a tabletop to assemble it!!

I Do like this solid White one

I can understand the getting on e single year build streak.

Or a single subject idea or many of ONE item

I have several 59's in progress myself. Not many 58's, though I do have 10-15 of the

Modern tool EDSEL Pacer!! Many projects started with those.

Other 58's I have are AMT's Impala, an Original Buick Roadmaster convertible to restore,

and one resin Fairlane 500 that was converted from the AMT 57. Opening doors and all

Edited by Edsel-Dan

Rich, why all the passion on '58s? I'm a '58 myself, coming into this world in September 1958. In my case, I the '59s were coming down the line on the day I was born, so I collect '59s.

Actually Tom, there were still shiny brand new '58's on the dealer's lots when you came along! I like to get things '61............even though my birthday's in October and the '62's would have been intro'd (or about to be), there were still plenty of new '61's waiting for someone to take them home. So those of us born around new model year intro time, we got the best of both worlds as we can collect two model years at the same time! :lol:

Rich that '58 is lookin' mighty good! Inaccurate proportions notwithstanding, this is turning into a beautiful car!

Edited by MrObsessive

So those of us born around new model year intro time, we got the best of both worlds as we can collect two model years at the same time! :lol:

Good point Bill! That doubles the weight of my shelf! :D Actually there is a '58 Chevy pickup advertised locally here that I keep trying not to go see... I've always liked the '55-57 era pickups, especially since there is a kit. So I go one year newer.

Thank you so very much Charlie, James, Daniel and Bill.

Charlie, like I stated at the beginning of this thread, the slight inaccuracies, etc. (to me) of this kit don't bother me one little bit. I'm just happy to have a kit of a '58 Plymouth.

Yeah James, I like to be a little different with my builds rather than just doing the "same old - same old" builds.

Daniel I think I'll be building the '58 Edsel with the continental kit next, when this Plymouth is finished. I ordered one from Model Roundup and it just shipped today.

Bill I truly appreciate your kind words... it means a lot coming from a builder of your caliber.

Thanks again to all for following along on this build. I think today I'll be able to finish up and assemble the interior as I received the dash gauge face panel in yesterday's mail from Kevin (Magnum4342). Thanks again buddy...!!!

It's looking like this little girl will be finished up by this weekend... hopefully.

I am a 61 model year myself and Yes I have a few to finish, build, and restore!!

4-21-61. So they were in Full swing, or only just beginning to taper off to begin

tooling up for the new 62's to come out that Sept.

And I AM looking for Original Annuals never re-issued!!

I need to check my stash to see what I have there!!

Glad to confirm what you feel about building!!

And I Do like That 58 Pacer!!

Have 10-20 of them for Projects!!

I did post them in the Primer thread!!

Edited by Edsel-Dan

Thanks Jon. I agree... they do look pretty darn cool.

Derick, there's nothing stopping you from picking another "earlier" year...

Thanks very much Shane.

Daniel... so many models - - so little time..!! Yes I saw your Primered cars.

I made some more progress today. The interior is assembled. I trimmed the dashboard gauge panel to fit. glued it in with some Elmer's, and put some clear epoxy over it for a lens panel. I also added a drop of epoxy to the center of the steering wheel. The more I looked at everything, the more I got carried away with adding little details.

You can see through the bottom of the interior because the firewall is not attached yet.

COMPLETEDINTERIOR11024x757_zpse667ae3b.j

COMPLETEDINTERIOR21024x718_zpsba1f3422.j

All the engine compartment pieces have been detailed and are ready for installation once the body and chassis assembly are joined...

----- The firewall is paint detailed, holes have been drilled for hoses, a brake line has been added to the master cylinder, and a couple of PE bolt heads were attached.

----- The radiator and support piece have been painted, an aluminum radiator cap was added and an overflow line runs from the radiator cap to the overflow container.

----- Horns are painted.

----- The battery has been paint detailed and cables have been added.

----- Rubber upper and lower radiator hoses are ready. The upper one has PE hose clamps attached. The lower one doesn't because it probably won't be seen (if it doesn't give me too much trouble installing it that is...)

----- The vacuum canister has hoses attached and silver paint used to indicate clamps. The hoses will be trimmed a bit shorter when installed in the car.

----- Heater hoses are ready for installation, also with silver paint for clamps and they also will be trimmed when installed.

----- The underside of the hood has charcoal flocking applied for underhood insulation. It has been "sealed" with a coat of brushed on dullcoat so it doesn't "shed" all over the engine compartment.

ENGINECOMPARTMENTPIECESDETAILED1024x744_

I'm hoping with fingers, toes, legs and eyes crossed that everything goes together smoothly when it comes time to fit the chassis / engine / interior assembly into the body. At first look it appears that it will be "tight" and I hope nothing breaks or that no paint chips off. If it happens, it happens and I'll deal with it.

Thanks for following along. It won't be long (I hope) for this pretty little lady to have her "coming out party".

Yes Mike, I've considered it... but I just find it easier and safer to just paint it chrome silver than to try to foil such a small and delicate part. I also just use chrome silver paint on thin steering column shifter and turn signal levers and the thin vent window upright pieces.

LOL Grant... "mouse-fur carpets"...!?!?!? First I paint the area that I want to flock with a flat paint color that closely matches the color of the flocking I'm using. Then I paint on a water-thinned coating of Elmer's glue and apply the flocking using a small strainer over a paper plate. I put a fairly thick layer of flocking down, let it set for a few minutes, and then gently tamp it with a finger, then turn the part over and knock off the excess on to the paper plate. Sometimes I do a second coating depending on the piece and the coverage I'm looking for. When done, I fold the paper plate and slide the excess flocking back into its container.