Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ultraliner with no Bull(dog)

Here's my latest, this one is a .... nope, it isn't a Peterbilt... it's a Mack !

Combine an AMT GMC Astro/95 COE and a Griffen Designs Mack Ultraliner resin COE conversion.. and a 1:1 truck for inspiration.. add some glue, paint and Evergreen plastic..

The Inspiration

ultraliner_real.jpg

The Model

Ultraliner_LH.jpg

Side View

ultraliner_profilel.jpg

The Grille

ultraliner_grille.jpg

Since the grille is molded to the cab, I masked the grille after priming so that the detail wouldn't be lost in the paint. I covered the entire face with Bare Metal Foil with careful burnishing, then painted the flatblack, using my finger to remove the paint from the raised detail.

Details

ultraliner_handle.jpg

The mirror bracket is aluminum tube bent to shape. Door handle is made from bits of scrap plastic covered in BMF, the grab handle is Evergreen strip cut to size and bent to shape painted with Duplicolor BumperChrome.

The battery boxes are the Astro boxes, mounted on square tube, an air tank mounted below each with a step added. The lower cab step is plastic coated Plastruct rod bent to shape.

Curved Muffler

ultraliner_curvedstack.jpg

A Mack MUST have a curved exhaust. I can never bend aluminum tube to look right.. in my parts box I found this perfectly shaped curve.. look close.. the muffler is actually the muffler from the Revell Snap-Kit Peterbilt 359 turned upside down! I cut the end at an angle.. a perfect looking curved stack.

Interior

missingthedog.jpg

I added some cab detail such as maps, log books, cigarettes and other odds n ends. Funny, I put cigs in some of my trucks, but I don't smoke.

I weathered the truck just as the real truck looked.. I added bug splatters to the front along with paint chips.

Another thing a Mack must have

ultraliner_visor.jpg

A Lund-style visor. Mine is made from Evergreen plastic. Not visable but on the roof are bird-poo splats that cover a couple of dust specks in the paint.

Flaps

ultraliner_mudflap.jpg

The Mack red white and blue logos are from a truck stripe decal sheet from JBOT.

ultraliner_breather.jpg

MackUltraliner.jpg

The background should look familiar, the Ultraliner is parked in the same spot as the ModelKing Ford F150 and DM800 photos were taken.. the difference being no snow in the background! (that will be coming soon enough).

I enjoyed building the Mack, a nice change of pace from factory fresh Peterbilts (no, I'm not giving up on my beloved Red Oval!).

Oh, the title of my post, "Ultraliner with no Bull(dog)"? Look at the front of the cab.. no Mack Bulldog. Why? I lost mine.. and suspect it was eaten by the vacuum. This must be why dogs are afraid of vacuums!

Thanks for looking.

Tim

www.timstrucks.com

Well Tim,

It's about time you lean away from that "little" red oval. Very nice build. It is also funny, that my next build will be a Pete..coming from a Mack guy...

Once you have "MacK" you don't go back!! as they say.

What is next on the build block? If I may ask?

Did you receive the pictures I sent you. Take care.

Kurt McLucas

• 3 weeks later...

It's your website that got me into modelling again, after 9 years of starting projects and never being able to finish them. Now my models rack up as many miles as my Kenworth does(during assembly anyway) thank you so very much for the inspiration that your website gives. I like this model. very well done.