Model Cars Magazine Forum

Touchy, Touchy Terms

Pro Touring. i have seen many cars get a different set of rims & paint job with a slight drop in stance. it takes more than just those three things to make a car pro touring.

Let's all calm down ....... proceed to the modeling table, take a couple of deep breaths and scratchbuild a 1:1 dodge with a posi rearend and pontiac tripower. It will have mag style wheels that are actually hubcaps. When it's finished we will call it a ratrod.

LOL

Edited by Marcus M. Jones

Explain.

What do you find annoying about that phrase? (I know people are always falsely claiming that their model is completely scratchbuilt, but that's not the fault of the phrase, it's the fault of the person using the term incorrectly).

I didn't read all the extra specifications. I didn't realize we were to limit responses to only annoying but properly-used phrases or to assess fault to the phrase not the usage. ;)

What I find annoying about that phrase is that it is ALMOST always misappropriated, ALMOST always fraudulently claimed, and then the ne'er-do-well screams like a mashed cat to defend its misuse and all the wringy-handed warm-fuzzies jump on the bandwagon to rationalize or justify its misuse in order to save the feelings of the miscreant. Otherwise, the phrase itself doesn't annoy me at all.

It's not unlike tracing a picture, filling it in with crayon rubbings and calling it original art, is it?

B)

Edited by Danno

If one were to get technical, a motor should only apply to an electric motor. An engine refers to something with pistons i.e. two and four stroke engines. This thread could get crazy real fast!

Where did the term "souped up" originate?

Campbell's???

The overuse of the word "custom".

And I've already had about 20 people ask me what's "custom" about Revell's new 57 Ford Custom. It was the name of the model and trim level. Just the name. Nobody ever asks why Chevy's Impala isn't an actual antelope, a Barracuda isn't a fish, or a Corvette isn't a small warship...

What I find annoying about that phrase is that it is ALMOST always misappropriated, ALMOST always fraudulently claimed, and then the ne'er-do-well screams like a mashed cat to defend its misuse and all the wringy-handed warm-fuzzies jump on the bandwagon to rationalize or justify its misuse in order to save the feelings of the miscreant. Otherwise, the phrase itself doesn't annoy me at all.

Agree 100%.

Regarding the use of "scratchbuilt," it's like the old saying goes... you're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own set of facts.

Thank goodness Chuck didn't mention Vaseline (pretoleum jelly), Q-tips (cotton swabs), Band-Aids (adhesive bandages), Kleenex (facial tissues), nor Scotch tape (clear adhesive tape), too. I just goes to show how languages are fluid, things are always evolving, and sometimes brand names fall into favor as the generally accepted word for a more general item.

Since we're ranting, I'll add one:

1) 95' Camaro = 95 foot Camaro, not an abbreviated version of 1995, The correct way to type it is '95. It also works for words such as 'stang (Mustang). 'cept (except), and 'vette (Corvette)...though I think "Vette" has pretty much taken over. :lol:

Thank goodness Chuck didn't mention Vaseline (pretoleum jelly), Q-tips (cotton swabs), Band-Aids (adhesive bandages), Kleenex (facial tissues), nor Scotch tape (clear adhesive tape), too. I just goes to show how languages are fluid, things are always evolving, and sometimes brand names fall into favor as the generally accepted word for a more general item.

"Hey, can you xerox this for me so I can tape it to the side of my frigidaire?"

:lol:

Here's another one; Using the terms "Stepside" and "Fleetside" when describing what type beds a truck has, regardless of brand. Technically, Stepside and Fleetside and Chevrolets. GMCs are Fenderside and Wideside, Fords are Flareside and Styleside, Dodge is Utiline and Sweptside, Jeep had the Thriftside and Townside. IH doesn't seem to have had an official name for it's beds, but refer to them as Standard or flush side in the brochures. I don't know for sure about Studebaker, either.

Not a modeling term, per se, but last night I heard a television commentator say, "People just want to conversate about it." :o

Huh? :blink:

Since when was "conversation" perverted into the act of 'conversating' rather than conversing? :wacko:

:o

They had to say "conversate" since "engage in oral intercourse" could be totally misunderstood.

Here's two similar BUT NOT modeling terms that will get me going every time:

'Models' and 'Kits.'

They are not synonyms and they are not interchangeable.

A "model" is a representation of a real article, (in our realm, a vehicle or aircraft or watercraft or motorcycle, etc.).

A "kit" is a group of individual parts that, once assembled, form a model. But once they parts are assembled, it is no longer a kit. It is a model.

As an example, it drives me nuts to hear someone say "I brought several kits to enter" at a model car show registration. No you didn't, you brought several models to enter. This is not a swap meet. We do not display or judge boxes of unassembled parts. There are no kits on the tables. Those are models.

Like saying an egg is a chicken. No it's not. It could be ... but it isn't yet. And once it's a chicken, it cannot be an egg again.

B)

how about the term shout out... or when your talking to a person in the same room and they use "chat / text speek " my friend came up to me today "can you help me warsh the car and refix the stereo" ( his car still has the stock am/fm radio that is not stereo he just wanted me to set the clock LOL )

I think warsh is a colloquialism.

It's only a matter if time before a member from the 'burgh drops "yinz" on us. :D

I think warsh is a colloquialism.

Warsh (for wash) is a regional accent/pronunciation. Like in Baaahston, where you paaahk your caaah.

Now someone explain to me why some people pronounce the word "ask" as "ax." Or "asterisk" is "aksterix." Or "etcetera" as "exetera." Or "nuclear" as "nookyoolar." Or "jewelry" as "joolery." Or masonry as "masonary." Or...

well, you get the idea...

Silverados are Silverados. C/K series trucks are not. They also aren't called Z71s or Cheyennes.

Unless that is they're Trim level, my feeling on GM trucks is that a truck being a Cheyenne Trim level 1/2 ton 2WD is a Cheyenne C1500, not a Silverado 1/2ton, Z71 belongs tacked on the name of trucks wearing that 4x4 package, etc.

Nick

My current favorite is "to service", as in "the sales associate will service you now". Having grown up on a farm, that verb has a completely different meaning. For you city boys, a bull services a cow, or a stallion services a mare, a male services a female. On second thought, maybe the new usage is right, we are being serviced, and not even getting a kiss! :P

Warsh (for wash) is a regional accent/pronunciation. Like in Baaahston, where you paaahk your caaah.

Now someone explain to me why some people pronounce the word "ask" as "ax." Or "asterisk" is "aksterix." Or "etcetera" as "exetera." Or "nuclear" as "nookyoolar." Or "jewelry" as "joolery." Or masonry as "masonary." Or...

Your prolly rite.

"Proactive". As in "We don't want to be a reactive organization; we want to be proactive in our efforts...". Why not just be "active"? Or, pre-approved"; as in those idiotic credit card applications. Everyone is pre-approved, unless one has already been approved.

Pro Touring. i have seen many cars get a different set of rims & paint job with a slight drop in stance. it takes more than just those three things to make a car pro touring.

LOL

LOL

"Pro Touring" ? Do they get paid to tour ?