Model Cars Magazine Forum

My wifes first model!

vintagedragfan

Ladies seem to have a knack for this ! They pay very close attention to detail and come out of the gate with the wheels up !

Watching my daughters and Kathie build was something to truly behold . Kathie really shocked me , not just with the airbrush , but with the overall building skills she exhibited on the very first one . Women seem to have an inborn sense for this type of skill that the male population has to work for !

Your wife did an excellent job on this , I liked the color , the building skill , and the way the model flows together . She should be very proud of herself !

Bill......first off Congrats to your wife for her win......that would be great to get more women involved in the hobby.......on another note I saw your buddy Wes Campbell at the DSC Arizona.......I got your message......thank you!........Wes his wife and I hung out it was a great time........

John, thanks so much brother, I am very proud of her and what she has done with this model, its just cool to me that she even touched a model let alone finish it lol, Wes and his wife are super people, I met him a year ago and we have been friends ever sense, I know you are one of his model building heroes as well as mine! he is also a model hero to me, his work is beautiful! I wish I could have been there to meet you in person, maybe someday I hope! my wife thanks you as well!! Edited by vintagedragfan

Ladies seem to have a knack for this ! They pay very close attention to detail and come out of the gate with the wheels up !

Watching my daughters and Kathie build was something to truly behold . Kathie really shocked me , not just with the airbrush , but with the overall building skills she exhibited on the very first one . Women seem to have an inborn sense for this type of skill that the male population has to work for !

Your wife did an excellent job on this , I liked the color , the building skill , and the way the model flows together . She should be very proud of herself !

I agree 100% and whole heartedly (except I dont know the oldmans wife and daughters LOL!) :lol:

Whats wrong with acknowlaging what it truely is , A good build.....Whos to say she hasnt been watching her husband build for many years, and of course she has all of his knowlage to fall back on and build on. My wife could probably build just as good a model with me coaching her, Good students mimic thier teachers.

thanks Romell, really appreciate the kind words, it does make a huge difference when some one is there to tell you what to do or not to do and the best way to go about it, we all share that with each other every day here in the forum, I myself have learned a tremendous amount in the short time I have been on here, thanks brother

Bill, since you asked for input I feel obliged to answer.

In a word “remarkable”.

If she saw it on February 1st and finished it the day before you posted it, then she accomplished all in only 12 weeks. Remarkable.

The mask line between body colors is way beyond the skill demonstrated by many long-term builders on this forum. There is no paint build up at the tape line. The tape line even wraps neatly around the cowling. There’s not a run or sag evident in the color coats or the clear coat. There is no evidence of bleed under prevalent among her experience level. Not a hint of orange peel leads me to conclude that the clear coat was polished – without any burn through either.

The after market tires and wheels are aligned properly in the wheel wells. And, all are sitting on the display base – something not easily achievable by many here.

All the parts appear to be free of glue. There is no evidence of glue or finger prints – something many should aspire too - and, she achieved all this out of the gate. Remarkable.

Too remarkable.

hi Steve, you are right it is remarkable, that is the main reason I posted it, she has worked very hard on this, just about every evening sense she got it, I was telling her the right way to go about everything, explaining every thing in detail, the reason there is no tape line is because it is automotive paint, the base coat is very thin, no build, you can paint a color and in 15 minutes you can tape and paint the next color, it is very thin layers, I have been painting 1:1 cars for 30 years, I did mix the paint and the clear and she painted it and masked it and cleared it, there are tiny specs of dirt here and there, she didn't like it in the roof so I showed her how to 2000 and polish, she only polished the roof, there is glue on some pieces, the wheels are in the stock location, she had to cut the brake rotors off the axles and use a dremel to grind down the mounting surface of the wheels, I had to show her what to do but she did it all, we were on vacation this last week before the show and she worked on it everyday, other wise it probably wouldn't have gotton done, lol thanks for the interest Steve Edited by vintagedragfan

I have looked at this several times over the last few days and must say I am intrigued.

A first timer, who never built any model ever before, achieving this level of quality is absolutely incredible. She wired the engine and it looks like she even swapped one from another kit that actually fits under the hood? Amazing forethought. Especially with the added height of the blower. I'll bet she even got the firing order correct.

Hinged the rear door? Pretty advanced stuff for a first timer, kudos! The window is a little thick, but what the heck, first timers can get a pass on that.

Clean execution of both the application and crisp masking of the paint, better than my last model, impressive indeed. Glass smooth finish too, way better than my wife has been able to accomplish on the half dozen cars she’s done, (and arguably a huge percentage of other builders here). Almost hard to believe!

Use of aftermarket accessories on a first attempt? Gauges and all the interior upgrades/modifications? Well done too, just amazing.

And a wheel swap to boot? And not just any wheel swap, one the required some re-engineering from the modern pin mount to the old axle type. Incredible. And she knew or figured out what kits to use as donors? Awesome!

I build fast, but six weeks and all those mods for a first timer with that clean of a finished product with no direct or hands on help from you? Only coaching? Wow!

yea Scale Master, the engine and all are from this kit, the wheels are the only thing not in this kit, I asked her how much she wanted to try on this, we went to the hobby store and I showed her the pre wired distributers and the scale master distributers that you have to build and she picked the one you have to build, she even put all the wire seperators on and the boots, I did install the correct drill bit in the pin vise, and she drilled all the holes, I definately coached her on everything , but she done it all, thanks for the comments

Way to Go Team Davis!

This first one is cool, but I'm more impressed that Gina bought another one. That really says something.

I've heard about the TV prize down there in Arkansas. Now we know it actually exists. Double congrats on that as well.

Tell Gina we expect to see the Panel truck at the Heartland :)