Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kansas

tabsscale1

Guest promodmerc

All we are is dust in the wind. EVERYTHING is dust in the wind.

I know the lyrics silly :lol: I said it that way because it's along time since they last toured.

Now carry on my wayward son. :)

• 7 months later...

I'm from Great Bend, lived here all my life. Dad was born in Lacrosse and grew up in Hoisington, He now lives in Great Bend.

It is a small world! Left Hoisington in 1959; my dad bought all his Chevys at Manweiler Chevrolet in Hoisington ... always from one salesman. As a kid, I thought he was the greatest guy in the world (next to dad) with the best job ever!

In 1975, I walked into a Chevy dealer in Colorado Springs and discovered the same guy selling Chevys there! He had retired to Colorado, then got bored and went back to what he loved most. I bought two new Chevys from him there ... before he retired again.

Haven't been back to Hoisington area since mid-80's.

I feel the need for a Kansas vacation, but it's not likely soon.

Best regards,

;)

It is a small world! Left Hoisington in 1959; my dad bought all his Chevys at Manweiler Chevrolet in Hoisington ... always from one salesman. As a kid, I thought he was the greatest guy in the world (next to dad) with the best job ever!

In 1975, I walked into a Chevy dealer in Colorado Springs and discovered the same guy selling Chevys there! He had retired to Colorado, then got bored and went back to what he loved most. I bought two new Chevys from him there ... before he retired again.

Haven't been back to Hoisington area since mid-80's.

I feel the need for a Kansas vacation, but it's not likely soon.

Best regards,

B)

This past summer a good portion of main street in Hoisington was replaced with concrete. It's alot smoother but it doesn't have that old small town feeling to it like the old bricks did. In 2001 the north west corner of town was struck by a f-4 tornado the devastation was terrible. Lost was the old grocery store, phamacy, the dairy queen and many homes. The storm was on the night of the senior prom. Luckily there was only 1 fatality in that storm. That section of town isn't the same. The homes are alot larger and I believe many people moved from ton rather than rebuild.Your right it is a small world. Ron@ ScaleSpeedShop

This past summer a good portion of main street in Hoisington was replaced with concrete. It's alot smoother but it doesn't have that old small town feeling to it like the old bricks did. In 2001 the north west corner of town was struck by a f-4 tornado the devastation was terrible. Lost was the old grocery store, phamacy, the dairy queen and many homes. The storm was on the night of the senior prom. Luckily there was only 1 fatality in that storm. That section of town isn't the same. The homes are alot larger and I believe many people moved from ton rather than rebuild.Your right it is a small world. Ron@ ScaleSpeedShop

The Dairy Queen, if I recall, was located right by the town's water tower, at the north end of Main Street, across from the high school. If that's correct, that Dairy Queen was originally an A&W Root Beer drive-in called Chet's in the 50's. I remember it well. There was nothing in the world like a frosted 5cent mug of A&W! The car hops must have been pretty good; I was a little kid but I remember my dad thought they were great! LOL.

I bought all the '58 and '59 AMT and SMP annuals at the Rexall Drug Store at 1st Street and Main. Always exciting to run into the Rexall to see what new model car kits had arrived!

Concrete Main Street? You're right; not the same. Do they still do the Labor Day Celebration and Carnival down town?

Yes Labor day is still the same after all these years. Bad thing is the closest place to buy a model is an hour away these days. In 1959 Dad would have been 12 he grew up on Alexander street over on the west side about 2-3 blocks south of where the Tornado cut across.

Ron

Cool!

Makes me 3 years younger than your dad. Yikes! I went to Roosevelt Elementary School.

Well, probably time to quit high-jacking the thread. Back to the original topic: I'm a native Kansan but not anywhere close enough to be in any sunflower clubs!

Best to all y'all Jayhawkers!

:)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oft I miss the simpler times of life in Hoisington and the exciting times of life in Wichita ... but alas, everything changes.

Had life not taken me away, I probably would know all you guys today!

My adult Wichita days were spent as a DJ at KEYN and hanging at the Library and the Office. I went to WSU but always dreamed of being an alumni of Friends University of Central Kansas. Well, at least the Tshirts and sweatshirts were cooooool beyond belief!

B)

had fun last saturday new members is always a good thing

where are you now danno

Phoenix.

It's a little dryer and warmer here, but at least I don't have to shovel snow or chip ice.

Still haven't found a burger as good as Jack's North Hi Carryout, though. ;)

:unsure: