Model Cars Magazine Forum

Touchy, Touchy Terms

rat rod= old car with no attention to looks with function only mindset.

why are these so bad???

I think you have it the wrong way around. Most seem to be built to fit the style without much thought for safety or basic engineering principles. If that's not putting looks before function, I don't know what is. I hope the rat rod thing dies a death before too long (on here as well as in real life).

rat bike= old rusty jerry rigged bike

hot rod= old car that looks good

street rod= car with big engine

rat rod= old car with no attention to looks with function only mindset.

why are these so bad???

what are we supposed to call them. lets see.

32 ford with no fenders, rusted/flat paint, opional bullet holes, bare bones interior, chevy engine and big tires.

i will call them rat rods until sombody compresses those term into a cool word

Just because!

Paging Mr. Yost, paging Mr. Yost...

Uh uh ! Mr Yost , nor his son Donn , use the word " yinz " . More than likely , you will hear , " ya'll " from me . Mr Yost , on the otherhand , will use nothing but grammatically correct English ! To this day , Mrs Yost will still box her children's ears for abusing the " Queen's English " !

One might think that age would have slowed her down by now ........ Ahhhh , No ! She still has a mean right hook ! Lmao !

• 2 weeks later...
  • RAT ROD.....A hot rod ,compiled from ,easy to obtain inexpensive parts!
  • TURKEY DAY ...it's Thanksgiving, a day to give thanks!
  • X-MAS............... lets not take Christ out of celebrating his birth!
  • VACAY...............I need a VACATION from all this text speak!
  • MOTOR ...........is electrical, then why is the magazine called Motor Trend?

31VT%2BHvh9lL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Hmm. Are we talking about the possessive apostrophe-s here? Well, it was published by Motor Manuals, so it's not a stretch to add the apostrophe - like Jack Daniel's, McDonald's, etc., saying this manual is from Motor, not just about a lot of motors. Anyway, they changed it later.

post-4455-0-43712600-1355676412_thumb.jp

Edited by sjordan2

How about when you bring your stuff to the checkout counter and the checker says, "Will that be all?"

Yes, that'll be all. That's why I came here to the checkout counter. Because I'm done shopping. :rolleyes:

Used that myself back in the days of full service gas stations.

It actually goes back to the days of the general store where the sales person would fill your order while you stood at the counter waiting. Just kind of stuck as it was what everyone heard growing up and those that went on to do store clerk (now sale associate) work kept passing it on down the line.

As for "servicing" your vehicle it is the correct term as they are performing service work on the car. Not exactly like the bull would be doing on the cow but service just the same! :lol:

My favorite is "back light" in referring to a rear window. Now really, is the most important function of that piece of glass to provide light for the interior of the car, or to allow the driver to see out of the car? If it was a terrarium on wheels, I could see it, but otherwise...

I'm also getting kinda tired of "material", as in "I scraped material off the part so it would fit". Ninety nine times out of a hundred we're talking about plastic, not granite, or sheet rock, or kryptonite, or whatever, so why not just call it what it is?

Light is another term for a fixed window. For example, the little window you use to see if anyone is on the other side of an otherwise solid door is called a deadlight, and a window in the ceiling is called a skylight.

Edited by SSNJim

If my name is Miller and I have a window, does that make it a Miller Light?

:P

Only if you have great taste when choosing curtains. Happy to enlighten you. :lol:

As Kelso would say, Burn!!! :lol:

• RAT ROD.....A hot rod ,compiled from ,easy to obtain inexpensive parts!
  • TURKEY DAY ...it's Thanksgiving, a day to give thanks!
  • X-MAS............... lets not take Christ out of celebrating his birth!
  • VACAY...............I need a VACATION from all this text speak!
  • MOTOR ...........is electrical, then why is the magazine called Motor Trend?

The "X" comes from the Greek letter Chi, which is the first letter of the Greek word Χριστός, translated as "Christ"

Here's one more... if you are talking about a Chevy Astro, you don't need to refer to it as an 'Astro van'. I'm not going to confuse it with the Astro coupe or Astro Cabriolet. B) Astro will do, thanks!

Maybe it's to differentiate between the Chevy and GMC Astros. :D

1973.GMC.Astro.95.cover.USA.jpg

A Mercedes owner who takes his car for a service will look at the bill and realize he's also been serviced.

That is pretty well a given at any dealership these days!

Was at the GM dealer the other day and saw their hourly rate was now 87.50!