Model Cars Magazine Forum

Art Deco '49 Merc / chopped and.......??

E St. Kruiser50

Hi all :(

Seems like nows the time to get after some old projects that have been "Simmering" on the back burner for a while.

This one started about two years ago, which is pretty average for me, and went through a process of making master patterns for early Buick headlights, skirts, Buick side spears, and some miscellaneous pieces I wasn't sure if I'd use or not.

Then they were cast into two piece silicone rubber molds, that are self aligning and self locking.

These were pretty complicated because they were multi-level patterns, with parting lines on two or three different levels, like on the dash insert. Very tiny, detailed, and challanging, but fun :P .

Everything has to be figured out backwards for the silicone rubber mold to work properly, and add locating pins that work.

Also everything had to be cast flat so that the final resin parts wouldn't be warped. So the silicone was cast against a flat surface on both sides, and then I had to figure out a mold release to use when I cast the silicone against itself for the two part molds, so they wouldn't stick together.

The Buick Chrome side spear, that is so popular on '49 - '51 Merc's, has always had some design issues that had bothered me and so I decided to address those on this build, because I'd be using them.

On the real cars, where the front of the spear was close to the wheel well opening, and the builder used two seperate colors, one for the body and another for the insert, their has always been a place where the paint had to be taped for seperation, becaues the chrome didn't "Dip" to seperate the colors, so on the master I built a "Dip" to address that issue, especially for future builds.

The other issue was at the bottom of the widest part of the trim, where it ends. A lot of buiders use a small, 4 or 5 inch long piece of chrome pointed back towards the front of the car, like on the Hirohata Merc.

I decided to incorporate that piece into the design also, and make it swirl around and end in a point.

It all seems to work real nice and still look Buick. I don't think most people would even notice.

This is starting to look like a "Florida Boy" post :lol::o

Over the years I've put together a nice collection of Danbury Mint, Franklin Mint, and other die cast cars. I'm not a collector, but the trim pieces and bumpers and grills and so forth, can really add to the quality of a plastic model build.

On this build I will be using several trim and emblem pieces to get the look I want.

Here's some beginning pics of the molds, and finished resin cast parts, some that I have already chrome plated.

I'll add more pics and updates later.

2008_1126Photobucket10028.jpg

2008_1129Photobucket10053.jpg

2008_1129Photobucket10077.jpg

2008_1129Photobucket10054.jpg

2008_1129Photobucket10051.jpg

2008_1129Photobucket10049.jpg

Edited by Treehugger Dave

Dave, as usual the work is top notch! But.... Whats it goin on? You are the only guy I know who actually HAND builds his cars.(as in peice by peice) Is there another suprise in store for us(I hope, I hope) Anything you do always impresses, an I know this new one (whatever it is)will too! Oh, I really like your new avitar, I just can't get enough of the Hollywood! :(

So I assume that because you took the time to make molds that you'll be making more pieces?

That's actually one of my biggest problems with model building...I rarely will build anything a second time. Maybe that's why I haven't ever bothered with casting anything.

Those parts look GREAT!! I'm also going to have to go back into the archives and reread your post on plating at home. With as much as I already know about passivating and plating parts, I'm curious to see how you do it at home.

Keep up the GREAT work and the posts!!

Later,

Dave, as usual the work is top notch! But.... Whats it goin on? You are the only guy I know who actually HAND builds his cars.(as in peice by peice) Is there another suprise in store for us(I hope, I hope) Anything you do always impresses, an I know this new one (whatever it is)will too! Oh, I really like your new avitar, I just can't get enough of the Hollywood! :D

Hey George - Thanks :)

I guess there may be a surprise sometimes, not so much on this build, but for sure some new "UPGRADES" in how I build and what I use after the first of the year.

Plenty of plans for the future to keep this hobby fresh and challanging for myself.

Been more or less a "Plastic Purist" all my life, but this coming year, and probably for the next few years, there will probably be some big changes in construction detail, painting, project style and design idea's.

I really like Salvador Dali and his early Surrealist impressionism, and also most of Picasso. More of that will be creeping in to some of my builds in the future, and just a teeny bit on this one :o .

When I lived in Calif., I was getting known as a Surrealist Sculptor, when I up and left for Oregon, for my kids sake. No art here for a long time, but now I think is maybe the time to have a little "SURREAL FUN" :o:lol::lol:

Anyhow, after boring you and everyone here, here are some before and after prep and paint pics and a few of starting the assembly. Sorry no construx pics on the body, as I started this about two years ago, and never thought about pics. The black really came out nice. I put a lot of xtra work into the prep and the polishing, as the paint would be a big focal point of the build.

Besides adding the white into the mix, I also added some subtle red details in the hubcap emblems, the hood and trunk emblems. I used Two beautiful emblems from several diecast cars. The hood emblem is from a '49 Merc and the trunk emblem is from '53 Buick to go along with the Buick theme. If it were real, it would have a nailhead under the hood also - no hood here in this case ;) .

I think in the future, emblems of the older cars will be a styling cue not used much in the past. The Art Deco styling of the trim and emblems gives an added "TOOL" for builders who want a more elegant look. I like'um on this build.

Probably the only one - LOL

In these pics, the body is taped off ready for paint, and you can see the side window shape that took several tries to get it right. I wanted something a bit different, that flowed well, especially in the front area, that was most of my focus.

I like the retro ART DECO look with black and chrome, but this time added the white interior to help showcase all the window shapes and presence, instead of using foil to outline everything. Makes me think harder how to do things a little different

2008_1126Photobucket10029.jpg

2008_1126Photobucket10030.jpg

Here's one pic as I have started the assembly.

2008_1130Photobucket10079.jpg

The tail lights are '67 "vette.

2008_1129Photobucket10066.jpg

:) Cool Dave, I can see now what you meant by the chrome trim having that little "finger' pointing towards the front, down at the bottom of the trim.Also the very tip where the color separation line would be. VERY nice Dave,(an so typical of your builds, you ALWAYS seem to go the extra mile, and it shows)up to your usual standards, and it's lookin GREAT I like the Buick headlite treatment too! :lol:

The insignias are particularly successful - they really add to the Art Deco theme. The trunk lid area looks great. You could be starting a Kustomizing Kountertrend!

Also the shape of the side window openings is gorgeous, particularly around the "A" post. Often a "hardtop" chop without a "B" pillar will look like a lazy cop-out because attention hasn't been paid to the overall form of the car. The rearward curve at the bottom of the "A" pillar helps balance the large expanse of window area. It also looks like you might have added a little material to the rear of the window opening to reduce the overall size, but I'm not sure about that. Details, details, details... It all adds up.

Finally, on one last look-see of the new pics, I gotta say the bumperettes, front and rear, really do the trick, providing an upward lift against the cars low, low stance.

The insignias are particularly successful - they really add to the Art Deco theme. The trunk lid area looks great. You could be starting a Kustomizing Kountertrend!

Also the shape of the side window openings is gorgeous, particularly around the "A" post. Often a "hardtop" chop without a "B" pillar will look like a lazy cop-out because attention hasn't been paid to the overall form of the car. The rearward curve at the bottom of the "A" pillar helps balance the large expanse of window area. It also looks like you might have added a little material to the rear of the window opening to reduce the overall size, but I'm not sure about that. Details, details, details... It all adds up.

Finally, on one last look-see of the new pics, I gotta say the bumperettes, front and rear, really do the trick, providing an upward lift against the cars low, low stance.

Bernard,

You really should be doing model kit reviews for the magazines!! :lol:

Dave,

This is too cool!!

I really like the white interior to contrast the exterior and highlight the shape of the side windows!!

The various red accents really work well with the black, white and chrome!!

Bernard,

The other reason that Dave took out the "B" pillars is to give the driver a little extra room to get in through the window opening. There are no door lines!! :)

You just gotta love art deco!!

Later,

Thanks Bernard :)

You're really close about the rear of the window opening and widened roof area.

I sliced the rear roof area on both sides of the rear window, then cut clear across where the roof meets the trunk to connect the two slices, and also cut clear across the roof area about an inch ahead of the windshield, which left me a rectangular piece with the rear window. I raised the rear of this piece at the trunk to give the roof a more fast-back look and then raised the trunk area where the two meet to complete the nearly fast back look, but retaining the small dip where the two meet, so only a well trained eye might spot it. It makes the rear look a lot heavier and adds to the Art Deco look of like say a '36 three window with a chopped roof and filled in trunk and huge fender skirts.

I love that look and wanted to transfer it to this build and see how it would look. I like it.

I filled the dip in the roof, and the trunk area with filler, added plastic to fill in the gap where the roof was raised, reshaped everything subtly, and wala - a sorta semi fast back -but not all the way, Merc :lol::D.

The headlight area on the body was a little tricky area too. I reshaped that entire area to be the same shape as the chrome headlight trim, so the body would flow from the chrome trim ring. Usually these headlight assemblies are frenched in with 1/2 inch rod to recess the entire thing, so I wanted to try a different look , by placing them as they are on a stock Buick.

Fun to play with designs and see if people catch it :lol:

Thanks for looking - Dave

... - a sorta semi fast back -but not all the way, Merc :):lol:.

When I first saw the front 3/4 view I actually thought you had gone "all the way" until I saw the rear view. I think you've really got the best of both goin' on here.

... - a sorta semi fast back -but not all the way, Merc :lol::D.

The headlight area on the body was a little tricky area too. I reshaped that entire area to be the same shape as the chrome headlight trim, so the body would flow from the chrome trim ring. Usually these headlight assemblies are frenched in with 1/2 inch rod to recess the entire thing, so I wanted to try a different look , by placing them as they are on a stock Buick.

Now that's one I didn't catch. It just looked completely natural, sorta factory stock if you will. The extra bulbousness in that area that's created contributes to the Art Deco "heaviness" you refer to. Not for nothing they were called lead sleds.

As for no door lines, let's consider it a very successful exercise in pure design. ;)

Edited by gbk1

When I first saw the front 3/4 view I actually thought you had gone "all the way" until I saw the rear view. I think you've really got the best of both goin' on here.

Now that's one I didn't catch. It just looked completely natural, sorta factory stock if you will. The extra bulbousness in that area that's created contributes to the Art Deco "heaviness" you refer to. Not for nothing they were called led sleds.

As for no door lines, let's consider it a very successful exercise in pure design. ;)

Thanks so much Bernard ;)

Lead Sleds were very much a part of my growing up teenage years.

To the guy building a full custom Merc "Lead Sled", that I visited with on the way home from Junior High School, to coming home from High School on the bus and getting off on Baseline Avenue in Highland, Calif., just outside of San Bernardino, in front of Dodson's Auto parts and their body shop across the street.

I watched them for hours and was facinated with every phase of the design and building of customs at the body shop.

From the brazing of the different pieces of sheet metal and tubing, to the melting of the lead( That's where the term lead sled came from).

The guy's there were great and seem to understand my attraction to the beauty and the art of their skills.

I watched them using wooden paddles of different shapes, smoothing and sculpting the molton lead into these masterpieces of auto art. Then they'ed use these metal brushes to even out the paddle marks and when cool, they'ed use these incredible rasps to further shape the lead.

For me it was electrifying and exciting to daily watch these magnifiscent creations come to life, with their handmade carson tops that they made there too. What wonderful memories from the 50's and early 60's.

Did all that affect me?? My first car at the age of 17, in 1960, was a cherry '50 Merc !!

As it's been said many times - Those were the days ;) .

Yeah, as a big city Right Coast kid I missed out on that, although I saw a fair amount of 50's-60's road racing which had its rewards. Search for Bill Hines on YouTube to see his awesome leading technique, even as he cruises well into his 80's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmmWz5nmg-o

Edited by gbk1

Yeah, as a big city Right Coast kid I missed out on that, although I saw a fair amount of 50's-60's road racing which had its rewards. Search for Bill Hines on YouTube to see his awesome leading technique, even as he cruises well into his 80's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmmWz5nmg-o

Great video Bernard ;)

Yup, that's how it was done back in the day.

Story goes that back in the late 40's, a 1940 for lead-sled that Barris had built was so heavy that the tires had to be filled with cement to keep them "Inflated" :lol: so they wouldn't go flat :o because of the wait of the lead on the hugely modified custom.

Pretty funny :P .

Anyway, thanks for sharing the video, and for the feedback I get from you. Much appreciated - dave :D

Beautiful work on the Merc (as always)! :lol:

Thanks for the insights on your "bus rides". I was born ten years to late, and in the wrong state! :o

You're welcome Don :o

Because I'm a little "Older" :lol: , and grew up in the "GOLDEN ERA and AREA" of music and car's, IMHO, it's fun to share "REAL LIFE" stories and experiences with some of the younger guy's here.

To me, it helps keep the history and love of cars at that time honest, real and believeable.

There was no intention at the time to create "A movement" or anything, we were just doing what we all loved passionately, and for me I still do.

Really hard to put into the proper words just how amazing it was growing up in the 50's in the SoCal area, especially as I look back, and all the fond memories I have of friends, model car contests and the real street rods and customs that I had, and friends had as young kids.

Glad some of you enjoy hearing about it.

The cool thing about it is that I'm still making great memories to enjoy, even further down the road.

The fun's never over until HE calls ya home.

Be good ya'll - dave :lol:

Dave, very nice work, again! I love the small, but most important details, the emblems, the headlights and the side moldings are all first rate.

I also remember theâ€golden days†in the late 50’s and 60’s. My older brother (his first car was a 1949 Mercury flat head coupe that he brought for $50.00, he would let me drive up and down the driveway, sold a year later for $50.00…I wish that car was still in his hands) , your age, had a couple of friends who were “hot roddersâ€, so I would always stick my younger nose into their projects. It was a great time, far more innocent and honest. There was no pretention….you were who and what you were…there was no hiding it. My brothers friend, Jimmy Jenson was a true hot rodder…he looked the part too, jeans, white tee shirt, pack of cigarettes rolled up in the shirt sleeve, hair combed back in the “duck tail†and a perpetual smile on his face. They were two doors down from our house and there was always a car alongside the garage being worked on. Jimmy’s dad was a crazy guy too. He had a big old Harley bike, black of course, and I would bum rides on the back of it on summer evenings. There I was, this 12 year old kid, no helmet and no jacket, sitting on the back with the wind in my hair and bugs in my teeth loving every minute of it. I guess I am getting older…looking back….it sure was a great time back then….news took a few days to reach us, only a few black and white TV channels and the only fear in the world was the next math test. Ah, youth!

Anyway, Dave, the other night I was flipping through a Contest Issue magazine, from those other guys, from 2005 and in an Oregon contest was a neat looking Art Deco style two tone orange leadsled with great chrome details from a guy named Dave Susan. You know this guy? Just joking……anyway, could you post a few pictures here of that car? I think it will look great along with the black Mercury here. Anyway, great looking build.

Hi Peter :rolleyes:

More of us "MORE MATURE" guy's here than I thought :P .

Thanks for the kind word's and "YOUR STORY" about back in the day. Pretty cool memories.

Maybe we should start a "REMEMBER WHEN " thread for the younger guy's to hear all the stories. :lol:

Anyway, about the "OTHER MERC".

I think this is the one your thinkin of. This turned out way better than I expected. A lot of times I'll pray before a build, and this time HE really surprised me. At the time I didn't know I could build or paint this good :lol::lol:.

He just makes up for what I can't do very good :P:P .

Have a good one.......

2008_1203Photobucket10036.jpg

2008_1203Photobucket10032.jpg

2008_1203Photobucket10031.jpg

Thats it! Great to see the two together, they are a perfect foil for each other, you know ying and yang, salty and sweet, dark and light, and of course, plain and ornate. I really like the gold/orange two tone...long and low. Thanks for the pictures.

Hey Peter :angry:

Nice to share with you.

Gald you enjoyed them :lol:

All the best my friend - dave :blink:

hay dave. I.m not old enough to throw out the good old day's storys ,but I do love that era, (wish I could have been there).

anyway loved the cars and people so mutch I always hung out with the older guys, and went to the hotrod showes. instead of concerts and partys my friends were going to.

Lived in Las Vegas for a long time and worked in a upholstery shop for years. got to work on all kinds of old hotrods and talk with alot of real motor heads. those were the good old days for me, and your models (on several ocations) have made me flash back to some more simple times. Thanks for the outstanding builds and the mind blowing details. You are a true craftsman in my book, and artist also B) You give us younger guys that are looking to improve in this hobby somthing to aim for as far as detail and craftsmanship goes. :lol:

Hello there friend! I have to say I knew it woud be in the weeds but the white walls ya threw me off there expecting dubs..... None the less what a classy piece of work Senor D' keep on wit the keepin on!!!

P.S. that tail- dragger is the business B)

peace

ajulia

hay dave. I.m not old enough to throw out the good old day's storys ,but I do love that era, (wish I could have been there).

anyway loved the cars and people so mutch I always hung out with the older guys, and went to the hotrod showes. instead of concerts and partys my friends were going to.

Lived in Las Vegas for a long time and worked in a upholstery shop for years. got to work on all kinds of old hotrods and talk with alot of real motor heads. those were the good old days for me, and your models (on several ocations) have made me flash back to some more simple times. Thanks for the outstanding builds and the mind blowing details. You are a true craftsman in my book, and artist also B) You give us younger guys that are looking to improve in this hobby somthing to aim for as far as detail and craftsmanship goes. :lol:

Hey Mike :lol:

Thank you for some very nice compliments.

Getting the opportunity to help other model builders become better at what we all love is quite an honor and I sincerly mean that.

It's nice having something to offer that enriches another person's life.

Thanks for the encouragement, and sharing some "very cool" stories from your past.

Keep on learning and building. Life is good - dave :huh:

Hello there friend! I have to say I knew it woud be in the weeds but the white walls ya threw me off there expecting dubs..... None the less what a classy piece of work Senor D' keep on wit the keepin on!!!

P.S. that tail- dragger is the business :lol:

peace

ajulia

ajulia my friend B)

Thank you so much.

And nice to hear from you :huh:

I love your sign off that you use - "Keep on wit the keepin on" :D .

I have signed off several times refering to you saying, " And as Ajulia would say - Keep on wit the keepin on".

I hope you don't mind, as it's kinda fun to use it.

So my friend, as Ajulia would say, "Keep on wit the keepin on" :lol: - dave

Hello there friend!! Your too cool amigo Im am just glad that your here on MCM and a great impact to this awesome hobby. So yes sir I have to say it again and again "Keep on wit the keepin on!!! Because every one throws down round here!! B)

peace

ajulia aka Tito