Model Cars Magazine Forum

ScaleKraft Broadspeed Mini Conversion, Finished Apr 22, 2014

jbwelda

Its been a while on the back bench while I figure out how to deal with the 1/8" section job vis a vis the interior and chassis pan, but some creative dremel use has put it back on track for a finish sometime, real soon...gotta clear my workbench for a 1/8 scale project soon so times a wasting...

have got the chassis with interior and motor mounted to body, and it fits pretty well after grinding the top of the dashboard (unseen under front cowl) down about an eighth. also way back when I made a package shelf for behind the back seat and miracle of miracles it went right into place! next was the challenge long put off of dealing with mounting the wheels and getting a low stance, way lower than out of box. rears were easy and lowering them easy as well: just bend the trailing arms up and shorten the shocks and youre golden. the fronts promised to be something else again, but after considering them and the suspension detail, simply grinding some slots into them and letting them sit up into the wheel wells a bit seems to be working out well. I also am offsetting them outward a bit more than out of box so they take up the wheel arch space better to my eye.

here I am posing the front wheels (actually wheel, only the right side) for the stance I want, and making two sets of custom taillights to take my choice from, one round and one teardrop. also a lot of finish parts have been fitted and are ready to attach, front bumper and grille, weber carbs under the hood (hopefully), headlamps and maybe some rally lamps. more soon...for now heres a couple of pics

3poj.jpg

sih5.jpg

taillight bezels, I kinda like the oval ones best

vy13w.jpg

thanks for looking; as always comments suggestions heckling cheerfully entertained!

jb

Edited by jbwelda

jb,

In 2003 we attended Mini Meet West in Victoria B.C., there was actually a Broadspeed Mini there. I remember it not having the normally seen Riley Elf tail lights but having two small lights, about the size of the front blinker on a Classic Mini, I think the amber set were. I also remember a few of the "hardcore purists" grumbling that those were not the "correct" tail lamps. Oh well, I always feel like asking those guys if that's their car!

Yes the Cortina rear lights are on a TVR Griffith, which was a fibreglass car built by TVR but a bit unreliable in it's day.

This takes me back to the days when I ran a beetle and always wanted a Mini Copper 'S'. In those days the engines for the 'S'came in 999cc and 1275cc. Broadspeed were essentially Ford tuners/racers most of the Ford 'works' cars were built by Broadspeed.

I've seen a few of this model of Broadspeed as I live about 60 miles south of their factory in the UK. One of their first 'modified' shells was just chopped with all the rain gutters shaved off.

I also saw these fastback models race at Silverstone circuit which is just 5 miles from me, many, many years ago when I was a race marshall there.

Very nice build but I don't know about the colour!

Looking through the archives I came across this Minisprint GTS......

sprint2_zps43d499b7.jpg

Oh yes and who is that guy on the left with what looks to be a fag on, oh yes it's Stirling Moss, this was 1966!

Here's the Broadspeed fastback in race trim......

p2_zps66a5b847.jpeg

Edited by PatW

yeah pat already did that a long time ago, just thought maybe you had some good ones to share. besides sterling moss with a (cough cough (double entendre intended)) fag, that wouldn't be chas chandler, bassist with the Animals and manager and kinda discoverer of Jimi Hendrix on the right would it?

and pat, the 1100 MG sedan was exactly what I was thinking those lights were from but I couldn't come up with it! thanks for that.

meantime that racing photo above has convinced me I need to use the teardrops, mounted vertically, with the small end down. any comments on that? I was thinking small end up like a real teardrop, but ... oh decisions decisions.

right now I am setting the ride height in front basically in the weeds...again not really prototypical but how I like to see Mini's in drawings anyway.

thanks for all the comments and keep em coming!

jb

nice andy, hope to see a build thread?

in defense of the color, none of the photos I have posted have come near capturing it. they look way too pink. it is more or less candy red, Tamiya mica red with clear red overcoat, on smooth white primer coat. looks pretty impressive really.

what I really need is a 1/24 scale Beat/Specials/TwoTone decal for the window. twist and crawl.

jb

front wheels are on and its stance is exactly how I wanted it, with the track on the front being just a bit wider than out of box but not so much the tires stick out of the fenders. decided to used the bumper and light rack from the monte carlo version, and am going to use the bubble headlamp shields while I am at it. need to remake one taillight that isn't quite up to the level of the other one.

9757.jpg

5tc1.jpg

km2p.jpg

that last photo almost catches the true color...

thanks again!

jb

currently working on getting all the gadgets to fit under the hood: cut down a stock valve cover and it now fits snugly enough for the hood to close, had to ditch the webers...too big and no way was the intake manifold going to fit down between the exhaust pipes, and went with the stock SU's with some small velocity stacks. conceiving an exhaust system: stock pipe and muffler but I am going to make some sort of polished tip, possibly large, possibly bologna sliced end, possibly sticking out the back at some weird offcamber angle. also polishing a machined aluminum fuel cap for placement square center on rear deck (as if I am ever successful at "center"...but theres always hope) and a little more underhood detail though now I wish I had drilled the ends of the brake assist for some wires but gonna let that stuff go at this point.

Should be near finishing up so keep your eyes peeled for an update before exile to under glass.

thanks again and as always all comments suggestions slurs cheerfully considered

jb

jb,

How thick is the Bonnet? Could the thickness be contributing to your issue with the bonnet not properly closing?

What about removing the head from the block and shortening (decking) the block enough to gain enough room to make it fit under the bonnet. Removing the material from the block would probably be the least noticeable place to remove material, the height of the head would pretty much disguise it.

, had to ditch the webers...too big and no way was the intake manifold going to fit down between the exhaust pipes,

jb

I did put a weber on my Mini-Sprint. ONE weber! It fit OK. I have read that whent the 1-1 Minis get webers they have to cut a hole in the dash so they stick into the interior a bit! :lol:

thanks for all the comments, should be wrapping up the small stuff here pretty soon.

skip, yes the hood thickness has something to do with it. and decking the head, as already mentioned somewhere back there, is a great idea.

unfortunately I do not have the stomach for either at this point seeing as how the car is basically done.

I looked at and considered thinning the hood with my dremel or at least relieving it in appropriate places, but instead I have managed to lower the profile of a nice stock valve cover and clip off the tips of the SUs which sat too high anyhow. that saved me the anxiety of dremelling away on the b side of the hood to clearance it, and also a nice cross hatch is molded into the underside of it which will be obliterated if I go at it with the dremel. you might notice back there in the thread somewhere I reported on burning through the body clearancing it for the dashboard, and that flaw remains, filled in from underneath with some red body putty that I basically just smoothed the upper surface of with my finger. so I think someone is telling me something about clearancing this body!

as it turns out the SUs with velocity stacks look pretty nice in there and fit perfectly too, aside from the dashpot sticking up a bit too high.

andy, one weber would have fit in there; the problem is the pair I had, which I think came from ScaleKraft, were pretty oversize and stuck up far too high but the real problem was getting them down between the exhaust header...impossible. all this stuff would have been fixable if noticed sooner, I pretty much just trusted these carbs were going to fit and as you know you have to put them on with the body already affixed to the chassis so by that point theres pretty much no other way out.

always fun using resin bodies though, and always requires the builder to have the flexibility the body often lacks!

jb

I did put a weber on my Mini-Sprint. ONE weber! It fit OK. I have read that whent the 1-1 Minis get webers they have to cut a hole in the dash so they stick into the interior a bit! :lol:

There is an "Air Box" sold for that, the hole in the back of the firewall is already there and has a blanking plate fitted over it. The "Air Box" fits into that hole and seals off the back of the Centre Binnacle so that the sucking noise from the carburetor stays on the engine side of the firewall. I've never fitted a Webber to a Mini / Spridget engine, but I understand they are a bear to tune properly. You see Side Draft Webber 48 IDA's on dedicated Race Engines that primarily run high RPM's pulling huge amounts of air through the motor. On a street & track Mini / Sprite / Midget you see mostly SU's and some recently running the Mikuni motorcycle carbs. For "Hot Street" a whole lot of Mini's are running the 1-3/4" Bore SU they pull as much air as most of the smaller bore dual carbs. With stock crank shaft and main bearing configuration Mini engines are not a high RPM Motor, which is why the Weber is difficult to tune to a small motor. They look cool though!