Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Beetle 1600

martinfan5

Time to get started on this one, this for Mays club theme, and I bet you cant guess what it is :headscratch: :lol::lol: , building the Tamiya kit, dont get to excited, is going to be a box stock build , I love the stock beetles look. Both my parents had bugs, I only know of my Moms bug from the pics she took after my half brother and his friend rolled it over, but I remember my dads 1974 bug, enough of the blah blah blah :lol: , time for a pic :grin:

IMG_0129_zps170c3858.jpg
IMG_0131_zps4fe733f3.jpg

Started work on the motor
IMG_0152-1_zps7d44132b.jpg

Engine is now almost finished, it will be finished later on in the build when I get to those steps, but for now
IMG_0160_zps28b33f53.jpg
and body in primer, almost ready for some color
IMG_0166_zpsb537307c.jpg

The seams on the engine need to be sanded, but other than that, so far so good...

Volkswagen air cooled engines the "Case's" were in two halves as the seam of the engine was down the center & same as well as for the transaxle. Both would be highly visible. The case's were made from Magnesium and if set a blaze would make a very hot bon fire out on the dunes of Waynoka OK buggy park. :)

Cool. I have that kit and didn't realize it's full detail! I'll have to pull it out and give it a go.

Back when we lived in Germany, my father had a red mid 60s Beetle as our second family car. The funny part was that it was a US spec Beetle, that an American serviceman had bought in the US and shipped back to Germany when he got stationed there. Army officers are allowed to ship a car to Europe and back home again at the end of the tour. So we shipped our trusty '66 Valiant (this was the fall of '69).You had to wait a month or better for the car to arrive, so we grabbed up the Beetle upon our arrival and it was our only car for awhile.

Upon leaving Germany, the Valiant was shipped back home, so the Beetle was once again our only transport for the remainder of our stay. My father wanted to have it until the last day, so as a lot of folks did, he was just going to leave the Beetle at the BOQ with the title and keys to be given to some lucky inbound serviceman. It was expendable. He paid a few hundred for it three years earlier.

The last week we were there a guy approached me and asked directions. I asked him if he was new there, and then asked him if he wanted a car. I sold him the Beetle, to change hands on our last day, for $200. I was 14 at the time. My father was so impressed that he let me keep the money!

arthurs_office-vi.jpg

My father's office in Pirmasens, Germany. Our Beetle is to the right of the entrance. Dark colored with US spec rear bumper next to the '67 Chevy. The half car all the way to the left was the unit's '70 Ambassador staff car. The unit also had the Econoline van. The rest of the cars were owned by US servicemen. Some got shipped back to the US and others were abandoned there.

Volkswagen air cooled engines the "Case's" were in two halves as the seam of the engine was down the center & same as well as for the transaxle. Both would be highly visible. The case's were made from Magnesium and if set a blaze would make a very hot bon fire out on the dunes of Waynoka OK buggy park. :)

Thanks Bob, I didn't know that. Learn something new everyday! B)

I know you have all been waiting for me to reveal the color, I decided to try Ford midnite blue
IMG_0023_zps834d6ffd.jpg
IMG_0028_zps1f91f2f2.jpg
IMG_0030_zps379e5a20.jpg
I did the wheels body color
IMG_0031_zps78f7b49a.jpg
IMG_0039_zps1d4201fa.jpg

Thats all for now, I have few spots on the inside body parts that need another light coat , then I will let the paint cure then mask and do the the interior colors, and I cant wait to get the clear on the body to see this color come to life

Thank you guys

Bob, yes sir its going to get clear coated, I am looking forward to seeing the paint once it has been cleared

Curtis, that is the one thing I am not looking forward too, do you have a tip for masking them?

Tom, I think everyone at some point in their lives owned a beetle , its funny, out of all the cars my parents owned when I was kid, its my dads 74/75 beetle that I remember the most