Model Cars Magazine Forum

Trying to learn slide.

philo426

Playing slide can be a lot of fun. I'm no expert but I recommend keeping your fingers on the strings behind the slide. This keeps the extraneous noises dampened so you can more clearly hear the notes you are trying to play.

Keep it up if you are just starting. There are a bunch of different tunings to play around with that sound great with a slide.

Sounds pretty good, Philip!

I used to spend a bit of time messing with a slide on my electric guitar. I never got to be very good at it, but man, could it be a lot of fun. I used to tune to DADFAD, low to high, which I think equates to a D minor. I would use the three D strings to play most of the melodies, and throw in some double-stops with the fifths, inverted fifths and minor thirds to bring in some noise.

Yes, Harry, that's what he's talking about. They are generically known as resonator guitars but often lumped under the Dobro name (derived from the family name of the inventor of such guitars when he and his brothers formed a company to manufacture them: Dopyera Brothers).They are easy to play but difficult to master.

Other open tunings that are common and fun: DGDGBD, DADGAD, DADF#AD. Try 'em, you'll like 'em.

Yes, Harry, that's what he's talking about. They are generically known as resonator guitars but often lumped under the Dobro name (derived from the family name of the inventor of such guitars when he and his brothers formed a company to manufacture them: Dopyera Brothers).They are easy to play but difficult to master.

Other open tunings that are common and fun: DGDGBD, DADGAD, DADF#AD. Try 'em, you'll like 'em.

I knew they were called Dobros, but never knew why. Now I do! :D

• 2 weeks later...