Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '50 Chevy Pickup - Doctor Cranky's All-Time Favorite Kit Is Getting Re-Released

Most of the differences will be in the doors. You'll have to add vent windows, and the door handles will have to be changed out. The correct door handles can be found in the revel '64/'65 Chevrolet trucks. On the passenger side, the door lock will have to be removed as well. In addition, the cowl vent on the drivers side, located just in front of the door, will also have to be filled in. For a correct stock truck, the grille should also be de-chromed, with the outer bars painted body color, the inner bars painted Thistle Gray. Other than that, there really isn't that much difference.

Looked through this thread and nobody mentioned it, so...

Was the louvered vent on the passenger side cowl ever corrected on this kit (with louvers sticking out like they were on the snap kit)?

Also, what was the new trick for molding in the lower back part of the cab and still being able to insert the interior? I was thinking of molding the part in, then cutting the doors open at the rear jamb so the cab could be spread apart and the interior installed.

Christopher, when i built mine, someone suggested molding the lower cab piece to the body, and leaving the firewall off so the interior could be slid into place. Since mine was already painted, I didn't do it, but I could see how it would work.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...
On 10/7/2017 at 11:42 AM, Longbox55 said:

I see that the box art has the same error that the Texaco version does. They have the truck illustrated with a vent window in the doors. A '50 would not have those, as they weren't used on the 1:1 until '51.

Interesting that the Street Machine/Custom version of the '50 Chevy Pickup doesn't have the vent windows/window channel:

amt50chevyPUSM1.jpg

AMT50chevyPUSM3.jpg

On 10/7/2017 at 12:42 PM, Longbox55 said:

I see that the box art has the same error that the Texaco version does. They have the truck illustrated with a vent window in the doors. A '50 would not have those, as they weren't used on the 1:1 until '51.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Interesting that the Street Machine/Custom version of the '50 Chevy Pickup doesn't have the vent windows/window channel:

amt50chevyPUSM1.jpg

AMT50chevyPUSM3.jpg

As you said Bill, I think since at least this newest issue is a drawing (as probably the Texaco issue as well) and not a pic of the model, the vent window is just the artist's error assuming since it is an old pickup it should have a vent window. I'm guessing it is the artist either not knowing the subject or incorrect reference, though even using the previously issued stock versions of this kit should have been reference enough to get the box art drawings correct for the year of the truck. 

5a53b494c14c2_20180108_1305101.thumb.jpg.a3e61f3244d2abd74bc77edfacd66ad2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The Union 76 logo seemed a bit having grown up with the deeper orange ball-era logo, but it appears to be very accurate for the 1950s. The door decal/service station name makes some sense, too:

9233555_1.jpg?v=8CC6D0CDB610100

5076.jpg.f3cdbbf09d397679bc5faa94615c6ab0.jpg

Edited by Casey

On 2/9/2018 at 8:36 PM, Daddyfink said:

So, what happened to this Dr. Cranky guy?

One of his models was on the cover of issue #203 of Model Cars Magazine, so he's still active in the hobby, just not here on the forum.

I'm sure most people (myself included) would be loath to spend $29.99 on a kit just for a few parts, but keep in mind this kit contains a nice set of parallel leaf springs and a solid beam front axle, which is just about perfect for use in a "gasser" type build. The leaf springs are nicely detailed and have a realistic arch, and the axle's mounting flanges are wide enough to allow for some side-to-side leeway when mounting them on the donor vehicle's frame rails, too.

WP_20180211_001.jpg

WP_20180211_002.jpg

WP_20180211_004.jpg

5 hours ago, Casey said:

One of his models was on the cover of issue #203 of Model Cars Magazine, so he's still active in the hobby, just not here on the forum.

I'm sure most people (myself included) would be loath to spend $29.99 on a kit just for a few parts, but keep in mind this kit contains a nice set of parallel leaf springs and a solid beam front axle, which is just about perfect for use in a "gasser" type build. The leaf springs are nicely detailed and have a realistic arch, and the axle's mounting flanges are wide enough to allow for some side-to-side leeway when mounting them on the donor vehicle's frame rails, too.

WP_20180211_001.jpg

WP_20180211_002.jpg

WP_20180211_004.jpg

Thanks for the update. 

And for the axle and springs, maybe someone could resin cast them as an alternative to buying the kit for them. 

55 minutes ago, Daddyfink said:

maybe someone could resin cast them as an alternative to buying the kit for them. 

Maybe someone already does? I honestly don't know, but it's a popular swap for 1:1 Tri-Five Chevies and other similar era hot rods, so it makes sense in 1/25 scale, too. For those who aren't using the stock front suspension after buying this kit (or an older issue), it's good trade bait at the very least, and also a good group of parts to keep in the stash just in case.