Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bad Man 55 gasser

Jantrix

It makes a good donor for doing other Tri-Five gassers, as it has one of the few straight axle/leaf spring assemblies that's wide enough. The parts from Willys gasser kits are usually too narrow.

If you want a stock '55 Bel Air Hardtop, the newer Revell kit is the way to go, but this kit is one of those classic ex-Monogram kits, it's a simple build, even though the fit isn't the best.

Gang,

Cool thread, when I was growing up almost every gas station had a Tri-Five Chevy alongside the building in some sort of "competition condition" ...awaiting the finishing touches that would make it a sure winner ! :):P:D

Keep up the good work !

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm thinking hard about a box stock build, because at contests it's one of theose catagories I've never got an entry for. I hate yellow, so was leaning towards Inca Gold. Which should look groovy with the red tinted glass. However from what I've seen the engine does look really out of scale - too small. However if I'm going to change the engine, I'll likely start replacing all the other lil things that bother me, like those funky front seats, so again I'm leaning more towards a box stock build.

Was this based upon a real car? A Google search has revealed only the kit, some die-casts and the like.

• 4 years later...

Well ummm.....................you see.....................I umm. I traded it for a Bad News Daniels '60 Chevy. The body was pretty warped and I had a fella in my club looking for one to kibash, so off it went. However if I come across another that;'s in better shape, I'll certainly give it a shot. I've found a website that does quite a variety of decals for it.

Snake, that's BAD ! B)

Darn close to OOB, too. I chopped some of the nosebleed stance out of the front end, replaced the front wheels and tires, and put a 2X4 intake setup from the Mono '69 Z/28 on the engine. The hood scoop might have come from the parts box, I don't remember. Paint is Testor little bottle "John Deere Green" with some black added. Everything else is from the ragged old Badman kit.