Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Mustang GT Funny Car AWB

AC Norton

hi van, happy to share some input, glad you like the review. firstly, I'm certain that with a bit of alteration the front end could come down some. I have built 3 in this series but built them oob , but think I have seen other builds that were lowered. second, the type error is on the mini box, but the kit box ends as well, no less. i'll forgive, round 2 on that one, just glad its back...lol.....best regards, the ace......... :D

What's the typing error you guys are referring to?

Scott

my bet is that the kats at amt will probably pop out the 65 falcon and 63 tempest awb in their original boxes sooner or later,...maybe if those kats at amt are watching closely, the kit to re-issue would be the cal combo drag team 65 falcon and 64 galaxie,...as we know that should be an easy one to sell by the dozens.....add the new tires, expand the original decals, add tinted glass, and your ready to go.....just a happy thought.......the ace... :D

Round 2 has the hanger shot ( discussed elsewhere on this forum ) of the Cutlass annual but with what appears to be the funny car body, so anythings possible.

And the note attached to it says "Very Poor, Rust" or something to that effect. I know Model King wanted to do it when they did the other AWB's so it might not be in good enough shape.

There were actually fourteen kits in the AMT Funny car series that were released from 1967 thru early 70's. They were:

The '53 rear engine Studebaker, '58 AWB chassis (stock body) Edsel, '64 AWB topless Olds Cutlass, '63-'65 AWB Chevy II. '65 AWB Falcon, '65 AWB Mustang, '65 AWB Chevelle, '66 Rear engine Barracuda, '63-'66 AWB Tempest, '66 rear engine Corvair, '67 AWB Cyclone, '67 "Funny car" Corvette, the rear engine Pirana, and the Allison Thunderbird was also in this series.

Edited by magicmustang

The interior tub fits much better in the Mustang kit than in most of the kits in this series. In the Falcon, Tempest,and Chevy 2 I've always added plastic to the sides of the tub to get a tight fit. I didn't have to do this with the Mustang. I love the box art on this rerelease. It brings back a lot of memories. The first one of these kits I built was the Falcon. I'm talking the original kits here, I remember ,as a kid, how fascinated I was with box art on these kits.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Round 2 brings back next. I wish they would bring back this whole series in the original boxes. A rerelease of the MPC Barry Setzer Vega Funny Car would be nice too.

funny thing, only 8 of them truly qualify for the one-in-the-same artwork and chassis type. the chevelle, nova, tempest, olds, cuda, falcon, cyclone , and mustang I believe were a so called set. the others stand alone, and the edsel having that bagged box really fits more into that oddity category. I remember a hobby shop local to me cracking cases of the series I mention, and this was that 73-74 era when they were 4 to 5 years old then, and I remember a new case of 12 having one of each, plus doubles on the nova, falcon, cyclone, and cuda. now here in Canada the assortments may have differed from u.s. merchandising. I guess I recall that as my friend and I each bought one, and fought over who got the falcon...lol....he won the coin toss....... :lol: ///the ace................................

yes, they are easy, yet give a pleasing result if you consider their age and low detail level compared to more modern drag car models. bringing out as much paint detail, a neat paint job on the body, basic wiring, select decals, and you can end up with a piece that packs plenty of fun imo ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the ace........... :)

I bought mine for the box art and to get another body to convert back to stock with the coupe quarters...

P3014112_zpsec9173d3.jpg

Too late now I see where Bandit resin's picking up where Missing Link left off, with a resin of the original 65 fastback. Fairly reasonable too. oh well. The slicks in the pic are about all that's left of the 'street freak' issue I built about thirty five years ago...

mike

I have an irrational love for those first-gen AMT funnies. Am working on the Mustang now, and have a glue bomb '65 Chevelle I'm trying to restore. Does anyone do repro decals for "Time Machine"? Would love to do it just like the box art (just like I did in 1967).

that's a good question,,,,possibly billy gooche has made them at one time, but I don't think he produces decals any more. the originals do show up on ebay from time to time,....but as I recall that sheet always seemed to have breakage problems almost from the get-go, so finding one now in mint shape will be tough. they always seemed to fade out on a darker color as well. best I can remember....good luck finding some,,,the ace........ <_<

that's a good question,,,,possibly billy gooche has made them at one time, but I don't think he produces decals any more. the originals do show up on ebay from time to time,....but as I recall that sheet always seemed to have breakage problems almost from the get-go, so finding one now in mint shape will be tough. they always seemed to fade out on a darker color as well. best I can remember....good luck finding some,,,the ace........ <_<

I have one original sheet. I can sun-bleach it and coat it with Superfilm, that's no problem, but it's also a bit dirty. Trying to figure out a way to clean it without ruining it. I'd be happy to scan the sheet if anyone wants to try printing their own from it. (Talking about the '65 Chevelle Time Machine decals here.)

Hey, talking about the AMT AWB '65 Chevelle "Time Machine". Here's one I got off the Epay. It was a minor gluebomb that I restored. The original decals on it had all but flaked off, but the aftermarket decals are a lot better choice. I did go ahead and alter the front wheelbase while I was restoring it.

Edited by magicmustang