Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '64 Chevy Impala SS

VW93

Slot cars with headlights just brought back some funny memories. I had a huge HO set-up in my basement when I was a kid. Aurora track with T-Jets (and later the AFX cars), along with a few of the Tyco cars thrown in. I think the slot cars with headlights were called Flamethrowers. This name, along with our predilection to turn off the lights while using these cars (of course), inspired us to try something that would look really cool with the lights out: douse some of the old, lousy cars with gasoline and run em' around the track on fire! Why not? Gas enhanced all of our other play! It worked great on army men, GI Joes, and, of course, our model cars; especially when combined with explosives! And, how about sending model rockets up in flames with M-80s attached! Classic.

We weren't aloud to blow anything up inside the house, though. And after the episode with the burning slot cars I was forbidden to bring gasoline into the house, too. Parents could be such kill-joys when I was a kid.

PB.

yeah I had similar experiences myself, PB, but mostly with lighter fluid instead of gasoline!

concerning this coming reissue, if it is in the Street Rods line like the last issue evidently was, I would bet there would be no change inside the box. could be wrong but I think that's the signal here

jb

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is THAT where those shilouettes of cars come from! I have a strip of those in my decal envelope and I always knew they looked familiar but could never really place where they were from. I particularly like that VW and the rail dragster. 

jb

....just today I bought this reissue, and have a quick report to all interested. this thread mentions early on about the original parts from the annual either being deleted or changed thru the years....well, I have some good news, and some bad news.....the tow bar and those nice steel wheels are NOT included,,,however, the custom steering wheel, 4 headlight covers, 2 piece roll bar, 2 seat belts and drag harness, and the tow hooks ARE now re instated .  there is also a convertible boot, jack stand, and chrome brake drum too. overall, pretty nice issue, however the Cragars have some pitting and junk thru them, so a better or different wheel choice will improve this build. I will try to post pics later, if I can.,,,,the ace........:P

Edited by AC Norton
forgot info

Is THAT where those shilouettes of cars come from! I have a strip of those in my decal envelope and I always knew they looked familiar but could never really place where they were from. I particularly like that VW and the rail dragster. 

jb

The car silhouettes didn't come on the original-issue Street Shaker decal sheet. There were silhouettes on at least one AMT sheet in the mid-1960s though. Was nice they added them, along with a bunch of stuff, to the sheet in the new reissue though.

yes Bob, you get a printed set of 4 polyglas  L60S, and a set of 4 firestone white walls.....no slicks, though...I will try to post pics of all later tonite, its still a nice issue with some restored parts as I mentioned in a post yesterday....thanks for asking....the ace....:D

Man, I need to get one of these kits. Strangely, while I have many left over parts from this kit that were in various 'parts-lots' I've gotten over the years,I'ver actually owned the kit. I hope the Big Box hobby/craft stores start to stock them.

....just today I bought this reissue, and have a quick report to all interested. this thread mentions early on about the original parts from the annual either being deleted or changed thru the years....well, I have some good news, and some bad news.....the tow bar and those nice steel wheels are NOT included,,,however, the custom steering wheel, 4 headlight covers, 2 piece roll bar, 2 seat belts and drag harness, and the tow hooks ARE now re instated .  there is also a convertible boot, jack stand, and chrome brake drum too. overall, pretty nice issue, however the Cragars have some pitting and junk thru them, so a better or different wheel choice will improve this build. I will try to post pics later, if I can.,,,,the ace........:P

Thanks for the report of the contents. I think I'll pass on this reissue as I already have two previous issues.

I have a few. 2 Street Rods issues undergoing resto.

I might get the newest re-issue as I cut one down to a Convertible

and need a Boot cover.

But, I just was given a built Original Convertible so may use it on that one

instead.

YES she has the headlight lens/light transfer bar.

But Not the rest of those parts!!Wires,  Battery box, Contacts, switch, tail light transfer bar.

I do hope to find those parts some time.

And Yes, I wish they Could re-issue the convertible!!

• 3 years later...
On 2/18/2015 at 9:33 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

The deletion of the working headlight feature is why to this day the engraved headlights look odd in this kit - they stick out from the bezels. Check out a '64 Impala promo grille to see how they should look.

One fortunate thing is that the holes for the headlight inserts are still there on the backside of the grille. Next one I build is going to get drilled out. Then some reflectors and lenses added.

Edited by Dave Darby