Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1/25 1997 Mustang GT

Terminator-Fox

I took a break from model cars for a bit and was browsing around and saw this kit was released. I haven't seen it in a store by me and was wondering if anyone has gotten one or built it yet? I owned a black/black 98 Mustang GT and would like to build a replica of that car. Just wondering what the quality is like on this kit.

http://www.round2models.com/models/amt/ford-mustang-gt

product.jpg

Pros: Body more accurate than Revell/Monogram's. Only place to get the passenger car 2-valve 4.6 mod motor. Snazzy box, first time seen in 16, 17 years.

Cons: Ain't seen a one built without a ridiculous stance - suspension likely needs re-enigineering, 'specially up front. From the era where AMT treated EVERY tire as 15"; no original Gatorbacks in this reissue, GS-Cs instead - and no assurance you'll get two of the right tires and two of the left.

That seems to be the case with any latemodel Mustang kit that's ever been made. They all need extensive mods to lower the cars. Just like the real cars lol.

The car that's pictured on the box has the premium 17" wheels like my car had. In the kit are they scaled too small and look like 15" wheels? That would be a no buy for me if that's the case. Anyone have pics from the MCM mag that reviewed this kit?

I remember seeing this kit but on the box the car has the 16" standard "waffle pony" wheels which I why I never got the kit.

mustang.jpeg

Edited by Terminator-Fox

17s as pictured on the box, but reduced to a scale 15". Don't think anybody's ever done those 16s. As I recall, it's not just that the front sat too high, but that the wheels also stuck out too far from the body work, and that seemed true of many of AMT's contemporary subjects at the time.

This is the promo that was also available as a snap kit. Sits way better, but in the wheels, it's representative:

96f314.JPG

I'll agree with Chuck K on the AMT having the accuracy edge over the Revell/Monogram kits. I will add that it also seems to be a bit more detailed- not by much, but it does have a slight leg up. In addition to the stance issues, it also requires a bit more patience during assembly than the R/M kits. But that's kind of how all the '90's kits were- generally speaking, if Revell/Monogram and AMT/Ertl both offered a kit of the same (or similar) subject, the AMT was almost always more detailed, but the R/M offering was easier to build.