Model Cars Magazine Forum

Corvette Grand Sport March Madness

I just saw this one is schedule for a March release. Has anyone seen it or have pictures, other than this? I can't wait to get my hands on it.

85-4992-lg.jpg

Wow, 140 pieces, Skill Level 3. Sweet.

All right, folks, just found a copy at my LHS and have decided to do an unboxing video of it. Enjoy:

Hey Doc,

From what I know, you will (may) have some interference issues between the headers and the upper A-arms. At least the first release from Acc Min did. Harold Bradford @ Historic Racing Miniatures makes the correct parts to fix that issue. He also has a transkit to do the roadster version. If you want some reference material, I have some photos of Gran Sport chassis #002 on my Fotki page. Here's a quick pic and the link.

100_5925-vi.jpg

The original 377cid all aluminum small block. The car currently has a 427 in it.

100_5858-vi.jpg

Here's the link to more pics.

http://public.fotki.com/El-Tanque/simeone-foundation-/legends-of-motorsport/legends-of-motorspo/

I built one of the AM kits shortly after getting back into the model car hobby in the '90's. It got swiped from an unlocked case in a local hobby shop where I had it on display. I just wonder if it's still going to have the fiddly-but-cool photoetched hood louvers.

PLEASE tell me those aren't the tires it comes with. I have no idea if they're accurate or not, but they look terrible. And that ride height- is it 4WD or something?

Now, that one Tommy built is more like it. B)

I'll let you be the judge. here is the real thing at Sebring in 1965...

65Seb2Vette20HPWeb-vi.jpg

65Seb1CorvetteRainWeb-vi.jpg

It has to please the builders eye, and sometimes that means doing something that may not be 100% accurate. If that means lowering it a bit, go for it. I bet most people will comment how good it looks, not even realizing that the car was lowered a bit.

I always wanted to build the Grand Sport, but considering what little it takes currently for me to abandon back to the box, I know the GS wouldn't have a chance of completion.

I appreciate the link, Tommy. I have the aforementioned Historic Racing Miniatures' Transkit, and several of the Accurate Miniatures Grand Sport Kits. Also, the Model Car Garage did a beautiful Photoetch set for this kit. I started on one years ago, using this kit. Now if I can find it.

I'm really looking forward to this kit, since it looks like it'll be cheaper than the AM issues. I've been drooling over the engine with those awesome side draft carbs, but couldn't stomach the high price just for the engine.

yeah i always dug that motor and the induction set up myself; i was thinking about using it in something one of these days. i have one each of the AM kits and maybe even a double also, but if they are going to be selling for 20$, i am going to have to get at least another just for parts.

it was always obvious the model car sat high because its prototype did. i much prefer it lowered and probably slammed lowered. not sure how easy that would be without taking obvious and unacceptable liberties with the wheel to axle mount (off centering the axle on the wheel to lower it...cheap easy and not really very esthetically pleasing to my eye). but that faired out body would look great in the weeds.

OK, apparently I missed a memo somewhere along the line. I'd heard rumors that Accurate Miniatures was either no longer in existence or they had relegated themselves to only producing aircraft models. So who, exactly, is releasing this kit?

• 3 weeks later...

These kits that Revell is selling are re-boxed Accurate Minitures kits. These were in the warehouse when AM went under. MRC got the planes and Revell got the Vette. The molds....who knows. I had two family members that worked at the last AM in Concord NC and I packed a few kits there myself. These are 2nd gen kits with many of the fit issues corrected. A pretty decent kit IMHO.....I built a few for the original AM back in the day!

Still, the question of the "no name " tires.

Just a money issue. Neither AM or Revell want ot pay the fees to put names on tires.

Edited by Dave Van